News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

empire in chaos

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, May 08, 2011, 05:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrannosaurus vex

I guess this is for Cain, but not exclusively...

All signs point to the imminent collapse of the American "Empire." Of course nobody (in power, anyway) wants to say so openly (and who can blame them? I'm pretty sure the UK still refers to its own Empire as present-tense, in some official contexts), but it's fairly evident that as a global hegemony, Washington is losing its grip on the planet at an increasing pace.

So, first, do you think America's empire would have been more successful in the long term if it had gone the traditional route and reinforced its economic supremacy with outright political rule?

Second question - do you think the US is capable of sustaining this collapse without the Union itself dissolving? Russia survived the collapse of the USSR with its status of "not quite 3rd World" (mostly) intact. Does the US have enough resilience to fall from "Superpower" status without completely imploding?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: postvex™ on May 08, 2011, 05:19:04 PM

All signs point to the imminent collapse of the American "Empire."

Again or still?
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2011, 05:51:55 PM

Again or still?

Chaos is like a pig, in that it has extremely long, drawn out orgasms.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: postvex™ on May 08, 2011, 05:57:08 PM

Again or still?

Yeah, but I wouldn't start singing dirges for the USA just yet.  As a republic, maybe, but not as a world power.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

tyrannosaurus vex

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 08, 2011, 05:58:23 PM

Again or still?

Yeah, but I wouldn't start singing dirges for the USA just yet.  As a republic, maybe, but not as a world power.

You're right probably. It's too bad the empire must survive at the expense of the republic. Stupid Romans.

Suu

Quote from: postvex™ on May 08, 2011, 06:12:20 PM

Again or still?

You're right probably. It's too bad the empire must survive at the expense of the republic. Stupid Romans.

ROMA AETERNA EST. :crankey:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Suu the Infallible on May 08, 2011, 06:21:51 PM
Quote from: postvex™ on May 08, 2011, 06:12:20 PM

Again or still?

ROMA AETERNA EST. :crankey:

All of that boot.

Juana

All signs point to the imminent collapse of the American "Empire." Of course nobody (in power, anyway) wants to say so openly (and who can blame them? I'm pretty sure the UK still refers to its own Empire as present-tense, in some official contexts), but it's fairly evident that as a global hegemony, Washington is losing its grip on the planet at an increasing pace.

So, first, do you think America's empire would have been more successful in the long term if it had gone the traditional route and reinforced its economic supremacy with outright political rule?

Second question - do you think the US is capable of sustaining this collapse without the Union itself dissolving? Russia survived the collapse of the USSR with its status of "not quite 3rd World" (mostly) intact. Does the US have enough resilience to fall from "Superpower" status without completely imploding?
I'm going to stay away from the political rule question, but I think we'll survive as a Union just fine. We have a more more cohesive identity than the USSR did and we're not a boiling pot of warring ethnicities Washington is having to keep a lid on. 
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jasper

Yeah.  I think the US citizens would keep thinking and acting like US citizens even if the governing bodies were to fail. 

East Coast Hustle

That thought will be cold comfort to the first Californian refugee I see trying to illegally cross the Cascadia border. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Adios

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 08, 2011, 11:36:19 PM
That thought will be cold comfort to the first Californian refugee I see trying to illegally cross the Cascadia border. :lulz:

On a positive note the Interstate Highway system would see a large reduction in traffic!  :lulz:

Laughin Jude

I thought the plan was to let northern California join Cascadia and southern California sink into the ocean.
Laughin Jude.com - Philosophy, snark, weird stories and bad art

The Plain and Honest Truth - A semi-Discordian serial novel about 9/11, the Iraq War, aliens, the origins of Western religion and an evil sock puppet from another dimension

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Laughin Jude on May 09, 2011, 09:50:34 PM
I thought the plan was to let northern California join Cascadia and southern California sink into the ocean.
Cascadia ought to invest in the means to give southern California a little push, in case the time comes but socal doesn't nip off of its own accord.

East Coast Hustle

Somebody's plan, maybe. My plan is to set up concertina wire around the entire perimeter of WA, OR, and ID and just keep shooting until the PNW has all the liebensraum it needs.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 09, 2011, 11:23:56 PM

Somebody's plan, maybe. My plan is to set up concertina wire around the entire perimeter of WA, OR, and ID and just keep shooting until the PNW has all the liebensraum it needs.

So...I should stay here?

Coyote, doesn't like climbing through c-wire with bullets in the air.