News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Curious about a concept in the BIP

Started by Wyldkat, May 13, 2011, 11:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wyldkat

Quote from: Jenkem and Tomahawks on May 14, 2011, 09:23:55 AM
Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 08:14:17 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 07:55:02 AM
Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 07:53:42 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 07:06:00 AM
Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 03:50:25 AM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 02:35:33 AM
Honest answer?  Shamanism is just another cell in the BIP.  It's just more rubbish to clutter your head with.

No disagreement here.  Everything is just a creation.  What got to me was the fact that literally the exact same teaching was being used in what I study and what I read here.  I've also found echos of it elsewhere.

Curious, here.  I keep hearing you Pagan types talk about "teachings", "studying", and whatnot.

Who's doing this teaching?

Generally the term refers to a certain school of thought, like the BIP would be Discordian teachings which in that case the people doing the teaching would be the people who contributed to its creation.  You could use the term Christian teachings for stuff you learn from listening to Christian sermons for example, in which case the teacher would be the person preaching the sermon and to a certain extent whatever sources he/she learned from.  I've also heard the term used by Christians... and I think Mormons so its not just a pagan term.

Soooo...No actual sources, then?

Um...  I just explained the term.  The sources would be whatever books, people, etc... that contribute to that particular school of thought, unless books and people are no longer sources in which case you're right.

The broadly accepted meaning of "source" here at PD is either to link to relevant blogs or posts or whatnot, or quotes from books if there's nothing on the internet handy.  Even wikipedia, even though it's wikipedia, is a source (though I would just use that as a distraction while you find a REAL source.)

We don't take statements or disfavored information for granted, I thought you would have figured that out by now?

Your response says pretty much what I said in the bolded part.  In this conversation I was explaining the common use of a term among a specific circle of people that was asked about.  I haven't written anything that I felt needed citation as of this point, but if I do I will cite it.  :)

My original post was a question about the BIP which although there have been a few posts in response to it (I believe yours was one of them) still hasn't helped as much as I was hoping for.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2011, 08:17:54 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 08:12:51 PM
Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2011, 08:10:29 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 07:39:24 PM
Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2011, 04:54:16 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 07:41:55 AM
Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2011, 12:41:08 AM
Hey... I take exception to that. I'm epileptic and no one has ever given me any goats.  :cry:

You wouldn't take care of them.  You'd get bored, and I'd wind up walking the damn things.

Just because that's what happened with the emus doesn't mean it'll happen again.

And don't think the PPD has ever forgotten "The Night of the Raptors".  If you don't behave, I'll tell everyone about it.

:crankey:

See if I fucking don't.

All I have to say is that those winos were on fire already when I got there.

Oh, that's just another night in PDX.  No, I was talking about the emus reaching the day care center, right while the kids were singing "Old MacDonald Had a Farm".  They say 12 policemen, 6 firefighters, and 10 EMTs quit that day, and joined the Hare Krishnas.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 08:19:38 PM

My original post was a question about the BIP which although there have been a few posts in response to it (I believe yours was one of them) still hasn't helped as much as I was hoping for.

What?  We haven't been what you were hoping for?

OH, POOR ICKLE WYLDKAT.  MY HEART IS PUMPING PURPLE PISS FOR YOU AT ABOUT 1200 PSI.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 08:22:00 PM
Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 08:19:38 PM

What?  We haven't been what you were hoping for?

OH, POOR ICKLE WYLDKAT.  MY HEART IS PUMPING PURPLE PISS FOR YOU AT ABOUT 1200 PSI.

Well, she could read all the BIP stuff out there instead. It was all about self help anyway.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 08:20:45 PM
Hey... I take exception to that. I'm epileptic and no one has ever given me any goats.  :cry:

You wouldn't take care of them.  You'd get bored, and I'd wind up walking the damn things.

Just because that's what happened with the emus doesn't mean it'll happen again.

And don't think the PPD has ever forgotten "The Night of the Raptors".  If you don't behave, I'll tell everyone about it.

See if I fucking don't.

Oh, that's just another night in PDX.  No, I was talking about the emus reaching the day care center, right while the kids were singing "Old MacDonald Had a Farm".  They say 12 policemen, 6 firefighters, and 10 EMTs quit that day, and joined the Hare Krishnas.

I had asked them nicely at least twice to keep it down.  :argh!:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on May 14, 2011, 08:28:33 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 08:20:45 PM

See if I fucking don't.

I had asked them nicely at least twice to keep it down.  :argh!:

Yeah, but that doesn't excuse the old folk's home, the convent, or "reincarnating the Dalai Lama" while he was visiting.

Wyldkat

Quote from: Charley Brown on May 14, 2011, 08:18:29 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 08:16:54 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on May 14, 2011, 08:14:49 PM

Dear Child, as far as my participation in the BIP it was self improvement and just damn good fun. I couldn't care less what someone else thinks about it. Those of us who were a part of it saw something special forming.

DOES NOT APPLY TO NAZIS, THOUGH.

Of course not, their interest is in placing others in their preconceived BIP.

I found the BIP an interesting read.  I'm not sure how one would go about placing someone else in their own BIP, it seems sort of counter the entire concept as I learned it. If it makes sense from what you know I'd like to know how that would work.

I found it interesting to find the idea that we are all in our own separate prison (mental construct of the world, whatever a person wishes to call it) here.  I honestly hadn't expected it since many people seem to be so reactive to other people's thoughts and opinions.  That part goes directly counter the concept I learned.  I'm interested in the idea and how it is understood by the people here, since there must be differences to account for the reactivity.

Also I've been reading around and wouldn't have started this thread if I had found the answer elsewhere.  If you have any threads to suggest, I would appreciate it.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I think there might be a disconnect between "shamanism" the historical tribal concept and "shamanism" the modern 'pagan' system.

In modern shamanism (the pagan stuff), I think we can draw a lot of parallels between it and the ideas expressed in the BiP. I mean its not the first metaphor for being stuck in your own perceptions.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

Quote from: Wyldkat on May 14, 2011, 08:32:04 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on May 14, 2011, 08:18:29 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 14, 2011, 08:16:54 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on May 14, 2011, 08:14:49 PM

Dear Child, as far as my participation in the BIP it was self improvement and just damn good fun. I couldn't care less what someone else thinks about it. Those of us who were a part of it saw something special forming.

DOES NOT APPLY TO NAZIS, THOUGH.

Of course not, their interest is in placing others in their preconceived BIP.

I found the BIP an interesting read.  I'm not sure how one would go about placing someone else in their own BIP, it seems sort of counter the entire concept as I learned it. If it makes sense from what you know I'd like to know how that would work.

I found it interesting to find the idea that we are all in our own separate prison (mental construct of the world, whatever a person wishes to call it) here.  I honestly hadn't expected it since many people seem to be so reactive to other people's thoughts and opinions.  That part goes directly counter the concept I learned.  I'm interested in the idea and how it is understood by the people here, since there must be differences to account for the reactivity.

Also I've been reading around and wouldn't have started this thread if I had found the answer elsewhere.  If you have any threads to suggest, I would appreciate it.

1) Thought control (temp bans, deleting posts, permabans, etc)

2) We construct our own prisons, there is no escape, our prison is in constant flux as we change.

Thurnez Isa

Not everyone here is involved in the BIP project of completely subscribes to it.
It's a diverse community and just because there are major concepts or projects on the board doesn't mean there's something which every member most subscribe to.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Its true... my views on the BiP have spawned pages and pages of debate :D

Anna Mae Bollocks

I found it interesting to find the idea that we are all in our own separate prison (mental construct of the world, whatever a person wishes to call it) here.  I honestly hadn't expected it since many people seem to be so reactive to other people's thoughts and opinions.  That part goes directly counter the concept I learned.

Translation: I have viewed this through my grid and made it into something with shamanizm and teachers and stuff. I am looking for stuff you gais consider authoritative so I can do you like I do the tards at TCC. This might fit the bill, that's why I started this thread. Now Imma pull the WHY DO YOU CALL ME ON MY BULLSHIT WHEN EVERBUDDY JUST SEES THINGS AS A CONSTRUCT ANYWAYS? card. Hyuk, hyuk.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on May 14, 2011, 08:53:32 PM
I found it interesting to find the idea that we are all in our own separate prison (mental construct of the world, whatever a person wishes to call it) here.  I honestly hadn't expected it since many people seem to be so reactive to other people's thoughts and opinions.  That part goes directly counter the concept I learned.

Translation: I have viewed this through my grid and made it into something with shamanizm and teachers and stuff. I am looking for stuff you gais consider authoritative so I can do you like I do the tards at TCC. This might fit the bill, that's why I started this thread. Now Imma pull the WHY DO YOU CALL ME ON MY BULLSHIT WHEN EVERBUDDY JUST SEES THINGS AS A CONSTRUCT ANYWAYS? card. Hyuk, hyuk.

:lulz:

As per normal, Stella wins the interbutts.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

In the BiP you are the prisoner and the guard, and the walls and bars and everything else... the only person that can 'free' you is you.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division