News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Respnosibliity

Started by Lenin McCarthy, May 17, 2011, 11:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenin McCarthy

Today was 17. mai, the Constitution Day of the Kingdom of Norway. When I got home from the celebrations, I found a poll on Facebook: "Should we get a day off from school after May 17th?" About 1000 had voted no, and about 22000 had voted yes. I voted no, and this is an extended and translated version of my comment to said question:

What happened to taking responsibility for our own lives? It was your own, independent choice to spend all that energy on celebrating 17. mai, and now you have to deal with the consequences. You all knew very well on beforehand that there's a school day tomorrow. It's in your fucking schedules. Don't read them? That's your problem. You could have chosen to celebrate 17. mai in a much less energy-consuming way, and then turn up at school fit and well-prepared next morning. Or you could just get your *insert low one-digit number" hours of sleep (if any sleep at all) and go to school the next morning anyway, and hope you'll survive that. Or, if you really want a day off? Then just NOT go to school tomorrow! Of course, it'll have consequences. Since you already have made that wise, well thought out choice of playing the sub-contrabassoon in a marching band, being drunk, eating twelve tons of  ice cream or whatever you chose to do on this particular day, I assume that you took those consequences into consideration. Maybe you even asked the school administration very nicely, and in due time before the schedules for this semester were set up, to give you and the rest of the school a day off after 17. mai. No, I don't think you did. If you had tried, you would have found that most sane people will take your suggestions seriously if you supplement them with logical arguments. And since there are many more or less logical arguments for getting a day off on May 18th, the school would probably have found a Teachers' Planning Day or something that they could move to that date. Did that happen? No. Probably because nobody asked for it. After what I can see, the first complaints started coming on MAY 17TH 2011, 9:30 PM. If you had tried a year or so earlier, you might have succeeded. Good luck trying next year. And good luck with getting up tomorrow.

Or Kill Me.

Disco Pickle

Fat fingered the topic.  

Agree completely with the entirety of this post.

It's nice to be reminded that this shit isn't endemic to the YouEssofHeeeeey.  Apparently, wanting to fuck off and shirk your responsibilities knows no nation, creed, color or religion.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Disco Pickle on May 17, 2011, 11:51:16 PM
Fat fingered the topic. 

It's nice to be reminded that this shit isn't endemic to the YouEssofHeeeeey.  Apparently, wanting to fuck off and shirk your responsibilities knows no nation, creed, color or religion.

Humanity...... amazing how they've just spread all over the whole planet and all.

LMNO

QuoteOr, if you really want a day off? Then just NOT go to school tomorrow! Of course, it'll have consequences.

Love that bit.  Ever since I truly comprehended the Sermon on Ethics and Love, I've been using variations on that to stuff it in the faces of whiners.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Khara on May 18, 2011, 12:03:18 AM
Quote from: Disco Pickle on May 17, 2011, 11:51:16 PM
Fat fingered the topic. 

It's nice to be reminded that this shit isn't endemic to the YouEssofHeeeeey.  Apparently, wanting to fuck off and shirk your responsibilities knows no nation, creed, color or religion.

Humanity...... amazing how they've just spread all over the whole planet and all.

Why else would I keep coming back here except to be reminded that my idealism was supposed to have an expiration date 5 or so years ago?

:lulz:
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

The Good Reverend Roger

Whoa, fuck, a DAY OFF?

That's...unproductive!

We need to teach these kids to put their nose to the grindstone, work all day every day, and die at 50.  Otherwise, our bosses won't be able to afford an extra yacht.

You tell 'em, kid!
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Lenin McCarthy on May 17, 2011, 11:37:29 PM

What happened to taking responsibility for our own lives? It was your own, independent choice to spend all that energy on celebrating 17. mai, and now you have to deal with the consequences.

It's almost like having Memnoch back.  *sniff*

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 18, 2011, 02:20:55 AM
Whoa, fuck, a DAY OFF?

That's...unproductive!

We need to teach these kids to put their nose to the grindstone, work all day every day, and die at 50.  Otherwise, our bosses won't be able to afford an extra yacht.

You tell 'em, kid!

INORITE!!!!!!

FUCK HAVING A DAY OFF TO "REMEMBER" A HISTORICAL DAY IN YOUR NATION'S HISTORY. FUCK HAVING ANOTHER EXCUSE TO FUCK OFF AND HAVE FUN!!!

The Good Reverend Roger

FUN IS UNPRODUCTIVE AND IRRESPONSIBLE.

THE HUMANS MUST BE TAUGHT.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 18, 2011, 02:31:39 AM

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

FUCK HUMANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freeky

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on May 18, 2011, 02:31:39 AM

THEY MUST BE PROTECTED. THEY MUST GO STAND BY THE STAIRS.

Disco Pickle

Whoa, fuck, a DAY OFF?

That's...unproductive!

You tell 'em, kid!

There's nothing wrong with having some fun. Even having fun at the expense of an entire day of recovery is, IMO, healthy in small doses.  I don't believe that was what this rant was about though.

This was really the important part:
QuoteOr, if you really want a day off? Then just NOT go to school tomorrow! Of course, it'll have consequences.

Luna

Whoa, fuck, a DAY OFF?

That's...unproductive!

You don't want to see the list of shit I got done the last day I actually had "nothing to do."

I started around 4am, and just didn't stop.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I could see in that post the first rudimentary glimmerings of understanding how the world works. It seems pretty well geared towards kids, so I'm assuming that the author is a kid, which means that his/her level of awareness of responsibility and consequences is probably age-appropriate.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."