They killes Rock and Roll

Started by Adios, May 20, 2011, 03:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

King's X...been a long time.
Yeah, they were ok. Not epic, but ok.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

AFK

They were a rather quirky band.  They hit the scene at the height of the hair-metal movement, but they didn't really have the hair-metal band look or sound.  They were definitely more of a thinking-person's band. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Kai

I really like Andrew York, both solo and with the Los Angeles Guitar Quartet. You don't generally see people listening to it though.

Also, my brother gave me a Them Crooked Vultures CD several years ago and I thought it was pretty darn good.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

East Coast Hustle

Man, I tried SO hard to get into them because I generally love everything Josh Homme has a hand in, but I just couldn't do it.

That Andrew York cat, though, he's got some serious chops.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 24, 2011, 12:18:19 AM
Man, I tried SO hard to get into them because I generally love everything Josh Homme has a hand in, but I just couldn't do it.

That Andrew York cat, though, he's got some serious chops.

I dig Them Crooked Vultures, but mostly just as no-gimmick, easily listenable rock.  None of the songs have a hook and none of the tracks on the album are a hook.

The new Foo Fighters album is heavy for them, and this can probably be chalked up to the fact that Dave Grohl is apparently hanging out with fucking Lemmy.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

East Coast Hustle

Heavy, but lacking in standout tracks. Seems to me the last few albums have been a decent mix of standout tracks to throwaway tracks, but this one has few of either. It's pretty much the poster child of rock mediocrity.

Though I do really like "Arlandria".

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Also, Grohl's been hanging out with Lemmy for awhile. At least since they collaborated on the Probot album.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Rip City Hustle on May 24, 2011, 01:29:35 AM
Heavy, but lacking in standout tracks. Seems to me the last few albums have been a decent mix of standout tracks to throwaway tracks, but this one has few of either. It's pretty much the poster child of rock mediocrity.

Though I do really like "Arlandria".

Sounds about right.  It was a disappointing follow up to Echoes, Silence, Patience, & Grace, which was probably second only to The Color and Shape in terms entire album quality.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

East Coast Hustle

Heh. It's not often that somebody posts that specific an assessment of something as broad as a well-established band's discography and I find literally nothing to disagree with.