News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

Quotes of the Moment II

Started by Triple Zero, June 13, 2011, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 05, 2012, 07:53:18 PM
:lulz: I see.

Mark Twain is the fucking MASTER, the GREAT-GREAT-GRAND-DADDY and GODFATHER of ranting.  Everyone since - Lord Buckley, Lenny Bruce, HL Mencken, HST, Warren Ellis, Stang, everyone - has derived from Twain.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Don Coyote

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 05, 2012, 09:34:41 PM

Mark Twain is the fucking MASTER, the GREAT-GREAT-GRAND-DADDY and GODFATHER of ranting.  Everyone since - Lord Buckley, Lenny Bruce, HL Mencken, HST, Warren Ellis, Stang, everyone - has derived from Twain.

I wonder if that is at some level partly responsible for censoring or removing Twain's works from schools.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: H0list on December 05, 2012, 09:40:30 PM

I wonder if that is at some level partly responsible for censoring or removing Twain's works from schools.

No, that is the left-winger set that want to purge our libraries of anything considered a slur by TODAY'S standard.  And Twain DOES in fact use the terms "Injun" and "Nigger"...Which he himself thought were kind of dumb, but where ACCURATE REPRESENTATIONS OF THE SPEECH COMMONLY USED AT HIS TIME.

But, hey, destroying all accurate records or representations of bad things in history can't have any negative reprecussions, can it?  Of course not.  If the kids don't SEE the word, it can't hurt them (as opposed to seeing the word and being taught why it was bad and why it happened or anything), right?

Pigfucking censorship assholes.  I hate their as much as I hate the teabagger's ideology of thinking that the words themselves are acceptable in common use in this day and age, because BOTH OF THEM ARE DUMB.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Aucoq

I've always respected Twain as a giant in the American literature world, but I never realized he was such a badass.  I think I'm going to have fun researching him some more and reading more of his works.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Nephew Twiddleton

Puddinhead wilson, man. Great shit.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Salty

Letters From The Earth saved me from, well, being Saved.

The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Wikipedia has a bunch of his shit now that it's public domain, including some of his newspaper and magazine articles.

To The Man Standing In Darkness is the best essay ever written.

Juana

The Mysterious Stranger is one of my all-time favorites by him.
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 05, 2012, 09:52:36 PM

No, that is the left-winger set that want to purge our libraries of anything considered a slur by TODAY'S standard.  And Twain DOES in fact use the terms "Injun" and "Nigger"...Which he himself thought were kind of dumb, but where ACCURATE REPRESENTATIONS OF THE SPEECH COMMONLY USED AT HIS TIME.

But, hey, destroying all accurate records or representations of bad things in history can't have any negative reprecussions, can it?  Of course not.  If the kids don't SEE the word, it can't hurt them (as opposed to seeing the word and being taught why it was bad and why it happened or anything), right?

Pigfucking censorship assholes.  I hate their as much as I hate the teabagger's ideology of thinking that the words themselves are acceptable in common use in this day and age, because BOTH OF THEM ARE DUMB.
Oh, the Right is just as bad. They got Shel Silverstein's book, Where the Sidewalk Ends removed from a library in Pennsylvania because they argued it encouraged cannibalism (and, uh, that guy was a staple of my childhood reading lists). They're also responsible for why so much American history is not taught or taught properly in schools.
Bowdlerization from either the Right or the Left is not the answer to objectionable content. Explaining the context and the history of the words/concepts is, as I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone here. There's a good book on this, Roger, called The Language Police: How Pressure Groups Restrict What Students Learn, by Diana Ravitch. You might like it.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on December 05, 2012, 11:34:05 PM
The Mysterious Stranger is one of my all-time favorites by him.
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 05, 2012, 09:52:36 PM

Oh, the Right is just as bad.

Think I said that.

QuoteThey got Shel Silverstein's book, Where the Sidewalk Ends removed from a library in Pennsylvania because they argued it encouraged cannibalism (and, uh, that guy was a staple of my childhood reading lists). They're also responsible for why so much American history is not taught or taught properly in schools.

The left is also guilty on the history thing.

QuoteBowdlerization from either the Right or the Left is not the answer to objectionable content. Explaining the context and the history of the words/concepts is, as I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone here. There's a good book on this, Roger, called The Language Police: How Pressure Groups Restrict What Students Learn, by Diana Ravitch. You might like it.

I'll have to look it up.  Censorship in almost any form gets up my ass.

Aucoq

The sad thing is I bet if you asked people about Twain the only answer you'd get from most of them would involve the Huck Finn controversy (unfortunately, myself included).  Most people were never taught about the incredible person behind the books (again, unfortunately, myself included).  What does it say about our society/culture that we've boiled such a powerful, creative, witty individual into just another controversy to fight over?

With that said, I'm definitely going to read Puddinhead, Letters from the Earth, To The Man Standing In Darkness, and The Mysterious Stranger.  Those are moving to the top of my reading list.
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Cain

QuoteWhat does it say about our society/culture that we've boiled such a powerful, creative, witty individual into just another controversy to fight over?

That Texas has too much say over the American education system.

Juana

Quote from: Cain on December 05, 2012, 11:42:04 PM
QuoteWhat does it say about our society/culture that we've boiled such a powerful, creative, witty individual into just another controversy to fight over?

THIS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cain on December 05, 2012, 11:42:04 PM

That's the fun part about Jefferson.

Up to 1990:  Everyone loves Thomas Jefferson.

1990 or so:  The left suddenly hates Jefferson, because he owned slaves, the right calls the left a bunch of America-hating hippies.

2001: The right suddenly hates Jefferson, because he was against indefinite detention and torture, and for public education (way before it actually happened.  The Left calls them America-hating fascists, then starts arguing amongst themselves over the "having sex with his slaves" thing.  The right laughs at them, and then decides to show them a thing or two by taking Jefferson out of Texas schoolbooks and replacing him with John Calvin (founder of Calvinism, for those of you who don't understand weird fucking Americans), and mortal enemy of Thomas Jefferson.

Current Day:  Everyone pretends that 1990 to 2008 never happened.  Saying Jefferson's name at a party gets a long silence and dirty looks from everyone.

Doktor's diagnosis:  People are dumb, and believe that humans come in pure varieties (exception for RWHN, obviously), and will kill anyone who shows feet of clay, in public or otherwise.

Richter

Richter - ::Response to the potential "augementation" of the punch for the work holiday thing::  - I don't do any of my drinking at work.  I find it unprofessional and inefficient.  No, I do all my drinking in the car on the way here."
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat