News:

Feel my amazing brain. Go on, touch it!

Main Menu

Quotes of the Moment II

Started by Triple Zero, June 13, 2011, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Alty on July 19, 2013, 08:31:10 PM
There are people that deal drugs right in front of my house.
Somebody pulls up, always a different somebody.
The same SUV pulls up from down the street.
One or more persons in the other car get in the SUV and eventually comes back with a handful of something and a kick in their step.

As this is a concern for our neighbors, and to get an idea of how to handle this, I approach the lady across the street.
After a bit of conversation where I find out her mother was born and raised 1km from where my mother was born and raised in Germany she drops this bomb:

"If all the police in this country were run by Sheriff Joe we wouldn't have these problems."

:kingmeh:

Oh yeah, there are totally no drugs in Phoenix, for example. http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20130424phoenix-crime-sweep-abrk.html
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 19, 2013, 08:47:04 PM
One or more persons in the other car get in the SUV and eventually comes back with a handful of something and a kick in their step.

As this is a concern for our neighbors, and to get an idea of how to handle this, I approach the lady across the street.
After a bit of conversation where I find out her mother was born and raised 1km from where my mother was born and raised in Germany she drops this bomb:

"If all the police in this country were run by Sheriff Joe we wouldn't have these problems."

Oh yeah, there are totally no drugs in Phoenix, for example. http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20130424phoenix-crime-sweep-abrk.html

Easy answers for little minds.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 19, 2013, 08:53:21 PM

Pretty much the way it goes. Just simplify everything into black and white terms, no thinking necessary.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 19, 2013, 08:54:12 PM

Pretty much the way it goes. Just simplify everything into black and white terms, no thinking necessary.

Why think, when you can just hire a dictator?
Molon Lube

Salty

It's sort of funny because I thought writing down license plates, times, descriptions, and handing that info to the cops might be a dangerous thing to do, lord know what these people are like.

She said APD told her to do that very thing, and complained about how she doesn't have the time.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Salty

We want RESULTS without community, and expected life with no effort. It's supposed to be this way, what happened to the good old days, blahblahblah.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 19, 2013, 08:55:17 PM
Quote from: M. Nigel Salt on July 19, 2013, 08:54:12 PM

Why think, when you can just hire a dictator?

PLEASE, MISTER POLICY MAN, WON'T YOU TELL ME WHAT TO THINK? AND WHAT I CAN READ, OR SEE WITH MY EYES? TELL ME WHAT TO DO WITH MY BODY

FOR THE CHILDREN.

Q. G. Pennyworth

QuoteYou: hi
Stranger: hello m or f ?
You: neither, I'm a cabbage
Stranger: cum on just say
You: I reproduce through pollination
You: sexy, sexy pollination
Stranger: u a f cabbage
Stranger: fem
You: Like all flowering plants, I produce both gametes
You: do you wanna swap pollen?
You: Through an intermediary organism like a bee or ant?

Suu

"Rhode Island: NO Characters are fictional." - My former boss, on describing how her friends went to watch Jerry Springer just to heckle the fuck out of it and get on TV.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Facebook:

High school friend: Gotta love how some people believe you are not considered a "good" or "real" American unless you believe in god and are conservative. Yep, good to know that a country that was founded on the basis of separation of church and state still requires the belief in god to be an upstanding citizen.

Twid: They would argue that you have freedom of and not freedom from religion. And also that because the founders were nominally christian that its a christian nation at its base. Of course though the whole idea is at odds with the concept of a single theistic law giving god. You get to vote for your congressman but get no say in how your universe is run.

HSF husband: I must be a fucking terrorist to them lol

Random guy 1: I get this all the time. I'm with you.

Random gal 1: Shut it, heathen!

Christian woman: Now you know I love you but I would like to point out that under God We Trust is in one of the founding documents this country was built on. We also pledge our allegiance under God... just some food for thought

HSF: Yeah but to judge someone's patriotism based on religion is like basing your religiousness solely on how much money you donate to the church.

Christian woman: Sounds like youve been talking to a Catholic

HSF: I was raised one lol. My nana said how they used to publish who donated how much each week.

Twid: Under god was added to the pledge in the twentieth century. Just saying.

Twid: In god we trust appeared on coins in 1864 and only became an official motto in 1956. Note the timing on the coins. Coincides with the tail end of the civil war.

CW: thanks but not the point I was making. its still there. I don't give a crap when it was added. and Michele... that is so wrong on so many different levels.

Twid: Well it is fairly important to think about when and why things were added. The founders were largely rational deists in favor of a secular republic. God doesnt mean the same thing to everyone who says the word. Einstein is a prime example of that.

CW: OK and in 1776 the founding fathers signed in the good will of the Lord. sorry but your ideology on God not being there when the USA was founded is wrong.
and with that I'm done. I'm a christian and will Pray that you find him before your time comes to end.

Twid: Im also a christian. Just one with a better grasp on the religious views of the founders.

CW: so u know them personally. lovely. tell George I said hi.

Twid: I do however reject the idea that god was there guiding america to some glorious place in history. Were just another country. Nothing particularly special about up other than our insistance that were number one.

Twid: I dont have to know them personally. All i have to do is crack open a history book.

CW: And then you still get based opinion and no actual fact. in the text of certain docs u do however find the guidance God gave them. read the Dec of Ind. its in there

Twid: You do realize that history books are based on primary sources right? The founders talked a lot about the nature of god. Their concept of god is something different than what youre projecting on to them. Thomas jefferson was almost practically an atheist who was fairly antagonistic towards organized christianity.

Twid: As the government of the united states is not in any sense founded on the christian religion... Treaty of tripoli signed in 1796

Twid: Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man. Thomas jefferson

Twid: There is not one redeeming feature in our superstition of christianity. It has made one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites. Jefferson again.

Twid: This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it. John adams

CW: wikipedia does wonders but the Bible contains the words you should be quoting. nice chat tho. thanks for the entertainment.

Twid: I wasnt using wikipedia. As far as i should be quoting the bible in regards to how the founders felt about god ill close with a lincoln quote- the bible is not my book nor christianity my profession.

Twid: I know having your myths shattered is fairly distressing so ill let you think those ones over for the weekend.

CW: and again I'll pray for you, clearly you need it.

Twid: Lighthouses are more useful than churches. Ben franklin

Twid: I can pray for myself. I dont need you to impose it upon me.

Random guy 2: Thanks <Twid FB name>. Read this thread...this is why i'm a teacher, to bust misconceptions and search for truth, however painful.

Twid: America's built on too much myth and not enough truth.

Twid: Also, I gotta say, "I'll pray for you, you clearly need it" is probably the most un-American thing I've heard in a while. Yes, tell a history major that his idea of history, which is based on from the horse's mouth, is wrong because my historical fairy tales are precious to me. Therefore I will pray to my interpretation of Manifest Destiny Amerijesus to telepathically control you and show you the error of your factual ways.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Freeky

That's fucking special.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on July 21, 2013, 02:06:05 PM
QuoteYou: hi
Stranger: hello m or f ?
You: neither, I'm a cabbage
Stranger: cum on just say
You: I reproduce through pollination
You: sexy, sexy pollination
Stranger: u a f cabbage
Stranger: fem
You: Like all flowering plants, I produce both gametes
You: do you wanna swap pollen?
You: Through an intermediary organism like a bee or ant?

:spittake:

Left

Quote from: Freeky Queen of DERP on July 27, 2013, 04:49:59 AM

That's fucking special.

Yeah, you'd have another, far more scary set of problems.

...I get being worried the local PD are being paid off by the dealers.
...State PD may be a safer bet.
Hope was the thing with feathers.
I smacked it with a hammer until it was red and squashy

Cain

Hideo Kojima successfully predicted the future of the internet in 2001.  From the dialogue near the end of Metal Gear Solid 2:

The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.

Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans.  Rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims. Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to protect endangered species.

Everyone grows up being told the same thing:

Be nice to other people.  But beat out the competition!

"You're special." "Believe in yourself and you will succeed." But it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed...

You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.

Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.  The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right.

Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."

And this is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

We're trying to stop that from happening. It's our responsibility as rulers. Just as in genetics, unnecessary information and memory must be filtered out to stimulate the evolution of the species.

[...] Who else could wade through the sea of garbage you people produce, retrive valuable truths and even interpret their meaning for later generations?

That's what it means to create context.

[...]

That's the proof of your incompetence right there. You lack the qualifications to exercise free will.

That which you call self serves as nothing more than a mask to cover your own being. In this era of ready made 'truths', self is just something used to preserve those positive emotions that you occasionally feel. Another possibility is that self is a concept you borrowed under the logic that it would endow you with some sense of strength...

[...]

In denial, you simply resort to looking for another, more convenient 'truth' in order to make yourself feel better, leaving behind in an instant the so-called 'truth' you once embraced.

Should someone like that be allowed to decide what is 'truth'? Should someone like you even have the right to decide!

You've done nothing but abuse your freedom. You don't deserve to be free!

We're not the ones smothering the world. You are.

The individual is supposed to be weak. But far from powerless, a single person has the potential to ruin the world. And the age of digitized communication has given even more power to the individual. Too much power for such an immature species. That's why we've decided to be your guardians, if you will.

Building a legacy involves figuring out what is wanted, and what needs to be done for that goal. all this, you used to struggle with. Now, we think for you.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cain on July 27, 2013, 07:48:01 AM
Hideo Kojima successfully predicted the future of the internet in 2001.  From the dialogue near the end of Metal Gear Solid 2:

The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.

Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans.  Rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims. Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to protect endangered species.

Everyone grows up being told the same thing:

Be nice to other people.  But beat out the competition!

"You're special." "Believe in yourself and you will succeed." But it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed...

You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.

Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.  The different cardinal truths neither clash nor mesh. No one is invalidated, but nobody is right.

Not even natural selection can take place here. The world is being engulfed in "truth."

And this is how the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper.

We're trying to stop that from happening. It's our responsibility as rulers. Just as in genetics, unnecessary information and memory must be filtered out to stimulate the evolution of the species.

[...] Who else could wade through the sea of garbage you people produce, retrive valuable truths and even interpret their meaning for later generations?

That's what it means to create context.

[...]

That's the proof of your incompetence right there. You lack the qualifications to exercise free will.

That which you call self serves as nothing more than a mask to cover your own being. In this era of ready made 'truths', self is just something used to preserve those positive emotions that you occasionally feel. Another possibility is that self is a concept you borrowed under the logic that it would endow you with some sense of strength...

[...]

In denial, you simply resort to looking for another, more convenient 'truth' in order to make yourself feel better, leaving behind in an instant the so-called 'truth' you once embraced.

Should someone like that be allowed to decide what is 'truth'? Should someone like you even have the right to decide!

You've done nothing but abuse your freedom. You don't deserve to be free!

We're not the ones smothering the world. You are.

The individual is supposed to be weak. But far from powerless, a single person has the potential to ruin the world. And the age of digitized communication has given even more power to the individual. Too much power for such an immature species. That's why we've decided to be your guardians, if you will.

Building a legacy involves figuring out what is wanted, and what needs to be done for that goal. all this, you used to struggle with. Now, we think for you.

I don't know what to say to that other than, "well, damn..."