News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Quotes of the Moment II

Started by Triple Zero, June 13, 2011, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

A friend asked me about Vietnam for her history paper:

The Vietnamese voted for a Communist government. The United States intervened in free elections. Not out of interest for the will of the Vietnamese, but because the US would not tolerate the spread of Communism. The US was stuck between a rock and a hard place. American policy was to promote democracy and prevent the spread of Communism. Vietnam democratically chose Communism. But our priority was to prevent the spread of Communism so we said fuck democracy. That is one of the things that you must always remember about the United States. We will abandon our high minded principles if it suits us. We are, in fact, notorious for that. We don't actually care about democracy. We have supported dictatorships as long as they were pro-American. We still do. We only tolerate democracy in other countries so long as the government involved is pro-American, and pro-capitalist.

In fact, that is the most important, underlying theme to American history. How does this benefit the government, and the people who tend to get elected to office? And how can those people spin it in order to look like they are in favor of democracy? How, indeed, can politicians say that it is our duty to intervene in another country's affairs because we don't like it? How do you legitimize the death of our soldiers at that point?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

Actually, the "democracy" thing is entirely post-Reaganite feverish imaginings of the Neocons.

Look at NSC-68, or the Long Telegram.  There is no mention of spreading democracy or freedom to oppose Communism.  It was all containment, all the time.  The preferred US method was to support dictatorships, in South Korea, in South Vietnam, in Chile etc.

And there was never democracy in Vietnam.  It was a French colonial puppet and then, when the French admitted they had lost, it was partitioned into a Communist North and with an Emperor in the South, who was deposed by Ngo Dinh Diem and ruled as dictator.

Lenin McCarthy

At the dinner table with my family yesterday we made up proverbs, one word at a time:

"Big words can often make small children scared"
"Because the world bleeds in sorrow when the horses cry, everybody wants to be together"
"The sun goat is making mischief. Mornings rarely tempt torturists."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The boyfriend, referring to his engineering team:

QuoteThe sickness has flamed through their cube farm like salts through a goose.

I don't even know what that means, but it's positively lyrical. Dating a geek cowboy is full of moments.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bu🤠ns

I realize he was a bit of a warmonger but this is pretty relevant for me atm...

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

― Theodore Roosevelt

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 05, 2014, 03:12:40 AM

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

― Theodore Roosevelt
This explains the rampant apathy about the horribleness that is reality when combined with 'Everyone is a critic now.' No-one actually does anything anymore, we all just post about it on facebook.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Suu

Actual text I just received from a number I don't know:

"He came in me again last night. :) :) "

My response, "Well, I hope you're using a condom. You have the wrong number."

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: :regret: on February 05, 2014, 08:53:02 AM
Quote from: Bu☆ns on February 05, 2014, 03:12:40 AM

― Theodore Roosevelt
This explains the rampant apathy about the horribleness that is reality when combined with 'Everyone is a critic now.' No-one actually does anything anymore, we all just post about it on facebook.

totally....I'm now gonna this on facebook

Quote from: The Suu on February 07, 2014, 03:51:06 PM

:lulz:

maybe it's one of those home automated garages that send out updates.

Burns,
always looking on the denial side of life.

Sister_Gothique

Dolphins are the Ted Bundy of the sea.
I'm the new "God's Will"...Soon it'll be, "Oh, I can't be held accountable for THAT, Sister Gothique made me do it!"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Suu on February 07, 2014, 03:51:06 PM

I've been trying for the last couple of days to conjure a scenario where that isn't a completely scary thing to text someone. But I can't come up with ANY non-fucked-up explanations for why someone would text that to someone else.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

Some old yuppie lady:
Where's that from?

Me:
:?

Her:
Your tattoo, Give Me Freedom.

Me:
Or Kil Me, *point to my other arm*

Her:
Oh! *turns away horrified*

Me:
*lean in behind her*
Lee Harvy Oswald said that.

Her:
*a solid mass of pure terror that won't face me*
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

LMNO

You're a bad man, and you do bad things.

:thumb:

hooplala

That story brought me great joy.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Good Reverend Roger

"There's nothing like the sound of a child's laughter, unless it's 3am and you have no children."
- Vicky, at work.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.