News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Build a mutant in your garage

Started by BabylonHoruv, July 13, 2011, 07:50:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

http://diybio.org/

Pretty exciting stuff, these guys are putting biology in the hands of people the way that computers were back in the 70's.  I don't know where it is all heading, but I am pretty sure it is going to make a lot of differences in everyone's lives within 20 years or so.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

The Wizard Joseph

:eek: One day EVERYBODY will make super bacteria and re-engineer their pets from the comfort of home.  Sounds like strange days indeed!
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Kai

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 13, 2011, 07:50:59 PM
http://diybio.org/

Pretty exciting stuff, these guys are putting biology in the hands of people the way that computers were back in the 70's.  I don't know where it is all heading, but I am pretty sure it is going to make a lot of differences in everyone's lives within 20 years or so.

Yeah, biohacking, been hearing about this for a while now. It could do the same for molecular/cellular biology as amateurs did for astronomy.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Elder Iptuous

i remember hearing a good bit about this last year.
my initial reaction is that it is a bit scary having the superempowerment of the individual in the arena of bioengineering...
biolabs modifying microbes, i would think, have a good number of safety checks to keep things from going horribly wrong, but if it's in jim-bob's garage? well....

i don't know enough about it to make an informed decision, but it would be nice to hear a good argument why this shouldn't be a worrying trend.

Luna

Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Frankly, at this point I have no reason to think it's anything but kind of a cute hobby for bored rich people who want to think they're fancy.

Superempowerment? Ha.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Sita

Why does BioShock pop to mind every time I see this thread?
:ninja:
Laugh, even if you are screaming inside. Smile, because the world doesn't care if you feel like crying.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Nigel on July 14, 2011, 03:46:38 PM
Frankly, at this point I have no reason to think it's anything but kind of a cute hobby for bored rich people who want to think they're fancy.

Superempowerment? Ha.

Well, they might create a magical E. Coli strain that gives them glitter diarrhea.

Imagine! Rich people everywhere pooping glitter! It'll be great.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on July 14, 2011, 04:07:17 PM

Superempowerment? Ha.

Well, they might create a magical E. Coli strain that gives them glitter diarrhea.

Imagine! Rich people everywhere pooping glitter! It'll be great.

I'd love to see that happen.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

So, what do they actually do there, then?

Genetic engineering? Sequencing? Making bacteria X excrete protein Y?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on July 14, 2011, 04:39:39 PM

From reading the blog it sounds like mostly they make yogurt and beer.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on July 14, 2011, 04:47:19 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on July 14, 2011, 04:39:39 PM

From reading the blog it sounds like mostly they make yogurt and beer.

This pisses me off.

Here I was, hoping that the Bill Gates of infectious diseases was somewhere out there, laughing maniacally in his garage.
Molon Lube

BabylonHoruv

Superempowerment? Ha.

At the moment it is.  However they don't have to be that rich, it's a cute hobby for upper middle class people and rather quickly getting cheaper.

I really do think that biohacking at a scary level will be possible within a decade or so.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Kai

Quote from: Iptuous on July 14, 2011, 03:04:32 PM
i remember hearing a good bit about this last year.
my initial reaction is that it is a bit scary having the superempowerment of the individual in the arena of bioengineering...
biolabs modifying microbes, i would think, have a good number of safety checks to keep things from going horribly wrong, but if it's in jim-bob's garage? well....

i don't know enough about it to make an informed decision, but it would be nice to hear a good argument why this shouldn't be a worrying trend.

First of all, it hasn't gotten to the point, now, that people can do these things without first learning all the stuff that goes into it. In other words, there is a great deal of skill and knowledge that must be gained first before any person can jump into it. The investment not only weeds out people who aren't serious, it also means that by the time that people can modify organisms as they please, they have the wisdom of time to do so. So, I don't think the worrying thing are these independent workers (at the moment), the worrying thing are these large scale corporations where people can essentially jump in without learning these things, they are handed the technology and the workforce to handle it. It's very much like, these very humble scientists inventing fission and fusion devices and politicians, who did not have to spend the time and energy and gain wisdom associated with making these discoveries, are yet able to use them as they please.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Elder Iptuous