News:

PD.com : We are the parents your children warned you about.

Main Menu

UNLIMITED MICHELLE BACHMANN APPRECIATION THREAD

Started by Doktor Howl, July 18, 2011, 06:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Disco Pickle

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/08/13/iowa.straw.poll/index.html

well, the bitch won the Iowa straw poll, not that that means anything.

I've often wondered over the last 10 years or so why the fuck Iowa's opinion should matter so much, and why they get to vote first.  Perhaps any Iowans on the board could help me understand this? 

Also, why I hate having to sometimes use the word "that" followed by another "that" to complete a sentence.

I really don't like that bitch at all, and I'm still registered Republican.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Cain

Obviously not Iowan here, but I wondered about the same thing back in 2008, so I consulted some political science papers to find out way.

As far as I could figure, Iowa is important because the media believe it is important.  And because the media believe it is important, the politicians flock there to court media attention for their campaigns.

It's retarded, but sounds plausible.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Disco Pickle on August 14, 2011, 12:30:01 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/08/13/iowa.straw.poll/index.html

well, the bitch won the Iowa straw poll, not that that means anything.

I've often wondered over the last 10 years or so why the fuck Iowa's opinion should matter so much, and why they get to vote first.  Perhaps any Iowans on the board could help me understand this? 

Also, why I hate having to sometimes use the word "that" followed by another "that" to complete a sentence.

I really don't like that bitch at all, and I'm still registered Republican.

I think it's pronounced "not thet that means anything". At least down here it is. And probably in Iowa.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cain

BBC is predicting a Romney win for Presidential candidate, with Perry and Bachmann reduced to sniping at each other for the VP spot.

BabylonHoruv

Iowa is important because they vote first.  Any other state could choose to go even earlier, if they wanted to, but they'd incur the wrath of Iowa.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Kai

No offense, guys, the presidential candidacy is a farce "race". /Every/ candidate is "four more years".
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Cain

The major interesting thing for me in this race is seeing if the unemployment rate "iron law" of political science (that states anything above a 7.8% unemployment rate = certain doom for the incumbent) will be overturned.  It has been disproven twice in the past, by FDR and Reagan, but of course, the booters of this "law" (on both sides of the partisan divide") insist it applies always and in all circumstances, for forever.  Just like real science!

Doktor Howl

Quote from: ϗ, M.S. on August 14, 2011, 05:58:46 AM
No offense, guys, the presidential candidacy is a farce "race". /Every/ candidate is "four more years".

Um, gonna disagree this time.

Look up "Christian reconstructionism".  Perry's a big fan.
Molon Lube

Cain

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2011, 05:48:17 PM

He's compensating, trying to build social conservative credibility.  He's viewed with some suspicion by the religious right, because he was Guiliani's man in 2008, so naturally he's gone for the most batshit social conservatives he can find to prove them wrong.

Sadly, it will probably work.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on August 15, 2011, 05:53:14 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 15, 2011, 05:48:17 PM

He's compensating, trying to build social conservative credibility.  He's viewed with some suspicion by the religious right, because he was Guiliani's man in 2008, so naturally he's gone for the most batshit social conservatives he can find to prove them wrong.

Sadly, it will probably work.

But what I said.

Not all candidates are equal.

Dok,
Knows the difference between "abysmal" and "worse".  The second one is funnier.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cain on August 14, 2011, 01:41:42 AM
BBC is predicting a Romney win for Presidential candidate, with Perry and Bachmann reduced to sniping at each other for the VP spot.

So if it became Romney/Perry, the christian religious right would be in an odd spot having their muppet being directly under, and next in line behind a man who they would categorize as a heretic, no?

Cain

It really only seems to be a matter of speed.  Obama = the "go slow" of political evil.  Republicans = political evil on crack

Cain

Quote from: Iptuous on August 15, 2011, 05:57:04 PM

So if it became Romney/Perry, the christian religious right would be in an odd spot having their muppet being directly under, and next in line behind a man who they would categorize as a heretic, no?

Yeah, although the religious right do seem to be softening, to a degree, on Mormonism in general.  They'd probably have more specific issues with Romney's politics, especially as he's trying to regain the centre.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on August 15, 2011, 05:57:04 PM

Not gonna happen.

It's going to be Perry and Bachmann, in one order or another.
Molon Lube