News:

"Those who seek should not stop seeking until they find. When they find, they will be disturbed." - Jesus

Main Menu

Pi is wrong; long live Tau!

Started by Golden Applesauce, July 24, 2011, 09:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

http://tauday.com/

I'd quote the manifesto, but it makes heavy use of math formatting that won't go over well to BBCode, so I'll try to summarize it.

Basically, the number pi is cute but isn't the right circle constant.  pi is only half of a circle; there are 2pi radians in a circle, sine and cosine have period 2pi, the circumference of a circle is 2pi*r, it's area is (1/2)*(2pi)*r^2, and e^[2pi*i] = 1.  2pi shows up basically everywhere in probability, quantum physics, geometry, etc.

The correct circle constant is 2pi, for which the author proposes using the symbol τ (tau), for a turn around the circle.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Triple Zero

I read about this and it makes a whole lot of sense.

I also read a debunking article (trying to show that pi is at least as fundamental and proliferous) and it made a whole lot less sense, seemingly grasping at straws.

Additionally, from personal experience, 99% of the time I have to import the constant pi into a computer program I'm writing, I exclusively use it in the form of 2pi, never just pi.

So, yeah.

There's no way we're going to rewrite centuries of math textbooks of course, but the idea seems pretty sound.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

Ran into this a little while ago myself. Fuck, it's hard to replace such an ingrained symbol. Then again, when was the last time you _wanted_ to compute circular geometry, over and over.

What I want to know is if it is easier to 'intuit' rough estimates once I integrate Tau into my math. Not for any on paper problems (except to get it to stick in my head), but IRL. So much of advanced martial arts runs off circularity and sphericity.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Prelate Diogenes Shandor

Isn't this all a bit like trying to prove that 1 is more fundamental than 2?
Praise NHGH! For the tribulation of all sentient beings.

a plague on both your houses -Mercutio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTGgpWmdZQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVWd7nPjJH8

It is an unfortunate fact that every man who seeks to disseminate knowledge must contend not only against ignorance itself, but against false instruction as well. No sooner do we deem ourselves free from a particularly gross superstition, than we are confronted by some enemy to learning who would plunge us back into the darkness -H.P.Lovecraft

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster -Nietzsche

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q

You are a fluke of the universe, and whether you can hear it of not the universe is laughing behind your back -Deteriorata

Don't use the email address in my profile, I lost the password years ago

BabylonHoruv

pi is the area constant.

(pi)(r)^2
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Triple Zero

Quote from: Prelate Diogenes Shandor on July 25, 2011, 03:10:52 AM
Isn't this all a bit like trying to prove that 1 is more fundamental than 2?

More like how 1 is more fundamental than 0.5.

Did you even read the manifesto?

also see

pi is wrong
pi is (still) wrong (video)

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 25, 2011, 05:55:33 AM
pi is the area constant.

(pi)(r)^2

that is one of the straws the tau debunking article was grasping at.

let me find it again

http://www.thepimanifesto.com/

it sounds so much like how he wants to find reasons he doesn't have to reconsider pi.

Once again, it's not like it's going to be possible to make this change in the field of mathematics, pi's got way too much legacy for that. But at least it's an interesting thing to point out, and we can just acknowledge that this seems to be the case, in the very same way that we now acknowledge it was a mistake to assign the electron a negative charge (so that a lack of electrons implies positive charge), but there's of course no way we're going to risk the errors that'll come from reversing over a century's worth of plus/minus signs in physics textbooks :lol:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

There should be separate constants for each, in fact there probably is in most cases.

For instance the reduced planc's constant (h/2pi) is used all over the gaff in Quantum mechanics, but you still have h when you need it for other situations.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cramulus

this is pretty much an aesthetic choice, right? does using tau instead of pi change any calculations?

Fractalbeard

No, it really doesn't. The only true benefit is saving space and energy when writing.

Ok, maybe someone also finds it easier to conceptualize.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insuficiently advanced.

Faust

Quote from: Cramulus on July 25, 2011, 02:24:54 PM
this is pretty much an aesthetic choice, right? does using tau instead of pi change any calculations?
Reduced complexity in equations. Less chances of error.

For instance the Schrodingers wave equation for the hydrogen atom in its general form is mostly symbols standing in for more complex elements and it is still fifteen or so elements long.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Cuddlefish

Before last semester, I wouldn't have cared about this, or seen it as relevent to my life, but after crunching calculations in my astronomy class (a feild which I plan on persuing) the use of Tau makes a lot of sense. Sure, it doesn't have any real bearing on how you do the math, but keeping things organized and in the simplest terms possible makes things all the more easy to deal with. Only problem: My calc doesn't have a "Tau" key...
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

whenhellfreezes

I think that both are useful. Also so long as you define your terms properly its really just a matter of language and semantics. Thus I could see each being used where it is conceptually useful to do so.

Lord Cataplanga

Quote from: Cuddleshift on July 25, 2011, 06:30:14 PM
Before last semester, I wouldn't have cared about this, or seen it as relevent to my life, but after crunching calculations in my astronomy class (a feild which I plan on persuing) the use of Tau makes a lot of sense. Sure, it doesn't have any real bearing on how you do the math, but keeping things organized and in the simplest terms possible makes things all the more easy to deal with. Only problem: My calc doesn't have a "Tau" key...

My cheap calculator has a "memory" button, and enough memory to hold 8 variables. I use those to store the charge of an electron, the speed of light, or whatever constant I need at the moment, but one of those variables always holds the value 2pi.

Freeky

Rumckle

Quote from: Lord Cataplanga on July 27, 2011, 05:48:46 AM
Quote from: Cuddleshift on July 25, 2011, 06:30:14 PM

My cheap calculator has a "memory" button, and enough memory to hold 8 variables. I use those to store the charge of an electron, the speed of light, or whatever constant I need at the moment, but one of those variables always holds the value 2pi.

Damn, that's a good idea, why didn't I think of that?
It's not trolling, it's just satire.