News:

FUCK YOU! MY UNCLE SAM DIED FROM NOT USING FACTS!

Main Menu

Warning: Fake-looking full name on Google+ gets you banned from gmail/docs/etc

Started by Triple Zero, July 25, 2011, 10:41:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

@chronic those who are unclear: Google is banning full accounts, including your gmail/docs/etc, just for having a fake-looking full name on Google+
http://twitter.com/#!/chronic/status/95202041286234112

http://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/the-google-real-name-policy-is-wrong/

A shit ton of businesses and "brand" corporations got banned too, because their G+ accts weren't a "real name".

Apparently they ban your gmail and docs and such with it when they find out, so unless you signed up with your very real looking real name (for realness), I'd be very weary of activating Google Plus on any Google Account that has GMail you'd like to keep around.

IOW, since all invites I got so far went to my main GMail address, I'm not going to sign up any time soon until this is cleared up. Even though that one does have my real name on it anyway, who knows if Google thinks it doesn't look "real enough", I'm not going to risk more than 5 years of mail archives [yes I do have a backup, but still].
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

I think this is hyped up more than it seems. I'm running two profiles because I have two Heteronyms (in the literature sense), and haven't been "banned" yet. +David Schlesinger (one of the focus nodes in the conversation right now) has heard of others using more than one profile...with each identity having been used and established.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heteronym_%28literature%29

My RL name account is laser focused on communicating about those thing I would like to make some freaking money with. I have 3d skills and I know games. I'm going to consciously manage my artistic Identity, because fuck, I'm savvy enough with memetics to do so. My RL name hasn't had a lot of web presence, other than subtle links to my Holy Name.

My Telarus, KSC account is my Discordian personality. Greg Hill used the Heteronym concept (originally a poet/beat concept) to literally invoke another character into his head (Malaclypse the Younger), who had the ability to express things on paper that Greg didn't. The edition of the Principia (6th?) which consists of a western union telegram filled with OOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM has notes that indicate that Malaclype "went away" after his job was done (but insinuated that Greg had kept the Polyfather of Virginity in Gold title). Also, the name Fernando Pessoa is very similar to the name of the Island that starts the action in the Illuminatus! trilogy, but that might be Lo5-ing things to far.

From the wiki:

QuoteThe literary concept of heteronym, invented by Portuguese writer and poet Fernando Pessoa, refers to one or more imaginary character(s) created by a writer to write in different styles. Heteronyms differ from noms de plume (or pseudonyms, from the Greek "False Name") in that the latter are just false names, while the former are characters having their own supposed physiques, biographies and writing styles .
Fernando Pessoa on the heteronyms

«How do I write in the name of these three? Caeiro, through sheer and unexpected inspiration, without knowing or even suspecting that I'm going to write in his name. Ricardo Reis, after an abstract meditation, which suddenly takes concrete shape in an ode. Campos, when I feel a sudden impulse to write and don't know what. (My semi-heteronym Bernardo Soares, who in many ways resembles Álvaro de Campos, always appears when I'm sleepy or drowsy, so that my qualities of inhibition and rational thought are suspended; his prose is an endless reverie. He's a semi-heteronym because his personality, although not my own, doesn't differ from my own but is a mere mutilation of it. He's me without my rationalism and emotions. His prose is the same as mine, except for certain formal restraint that reason imposes on my own writing, and his Portuguese is exactly the same – whereas Caeiro writes bad Portuguese, Campos writes it reasonably well but with mistakes such as "me myself" instead of "I myself", etc.., and Reis writes better than I, but with a purism I find excessive...)»

Fernando Pessoa, Letter to Adolfo Casais Monteiro, 13.01.1935, in The Book of Disquiet, Penguin Classics, 2002, p. 474.

George Steiner on the heteronyms

«Pseudonymous writing is not rare in literature or philosophy (Kierkegaard provides a celebrated instance). 'Heteronyms', as Pessoa called and defined them, are something different and exceedingly strange. For each of his 'voices', Pessoa conceived a highly distinctive poetic idiom and technique, a complex biography, a context of literary influence and polemics and, most arrestingly of all, subtle interrelations and reciprocities of awareness. Octavio Paz defines Caeiro as 'everything that Pessoa is not and more'.

He is a man magnificently at home in nature, a virtuoso of pre-Christian innocence, almost a Portuguese teacher of Zen. Reis is a stoic Horatian, a pagan believer in fate, a player with classical myths less original than Caeiro, but more representative of modern symbolism. De Campos emerges as a Whitmanesque futurist, a dreamer in drunkenness, the Dionysian singer of what is oceanic and windswept in Lisbon. None of this triad resembles the metaphysical solitude, the sense of being an occultist medium which characterise Pessoa's 'own' intimate verse.»

George Steiner, «A man of many parts», in The Observer, Sunday, 3 June 2001.

When I want to talk about this stuff, I don't want to scare off people who I'd like to approach to build virtual worlds, and who expect an Art portfolio....

Persona Management is going to be huge on G+ if this shakes out. I'm with +David Schlesinger, tho. You need 'validation' of the identities. I don't have a problem with Google knowing that I'm known as both, but I'd like that information to be Private by default (confidential), and allow me to post a link or something if I wanted to.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

Well I'm just repeating what I heard and read, just sayin' if the Google account tied to your G+ not-really-real-name persona also has a GMail attached with emails you want to keep access to, maybe back them up or take some care.

I saw some people on Twitter (@metaphorge, IIRC) also having troubles with this (got locked out even though they did use their real name), so it is happening, maybe not on a massive scale, seems to be somewhat manual for now.

(yes Google actually does a lot of stuff manually by moderator drones--I suppose that's how they initially train their machine learning algos, with supervised learning by humans)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

I use a fake sounding name, and I have done for close to six years now, I have paypal, the principia and whatever else tied into my email.
If they ban my email account I'm snookered.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Placid Dingo

The g+ invite I got didn't work from pdmail. And I'm happy to leave it there. Fuck this kind of stuff. I wanted to change one fb account to 'captain obvious' for a bit but they had an automated rejection for not being your real name. I want my social networks to be serving me, not the other way around. I don't like where it's all going.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.