News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

the kirk principle

Started by Horab Fibslager, September 23, 2004, 12:15:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horab Fibslager

is written very well in this openeing coupleof paragraphs of soem kind of article or something:

QuoteI forget which Star Trek movie it was (never was a Treky geek), but o¬?ne of the Star Trek movies included a story by Captain Kirk that has interesting implications for our so called modern networks.

Kirk's fellow midshipmen, or midspacemen, whatever, were curious how he passed the battle simulation exercise that was impossible to beat. He eventually admits to reprogramming the battle routine, thus defeating the virtual enemy.

The moral of this story is never assume people are going to play by your rules. There has been tremendous progress with layered security for our networks. Complete managed solutions are in place to enforce security policies and monitor computers and wire. All that nifty security works if everyone plays by your rules. Don't get too comfortable and ignore the insider threat. He could really care less about your rules.

a lesson from Captain Kirk

Captain Kirk, can you save me?
Captain Kirk, I wanna have yo' baby.

- master p, ghetto d, captain kirk
Hell is other people.

namu

Namu the Maxwell Angel
--
United we stand, divided we run free at last !

gnimbley

Geez horab, how could you forget? It was from the same movie that gave us

"Kaaahhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Rupert Giles

Quote from: gnimbleyGeez horab, how could you forget? It was from the same movie that gave us

No, no, no, Gnimbly.  It's:

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

Back of the throat.

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Kirk had now principles... he was able to justify his actions to others but the man had no principles.
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Horab Fibslager

nobody has any principles anymroe anyway. at least none that anyone seems willinmg to die fro, and even a hufdred years ago men and women had stronger mettle than that.
Hell is other people.

Rupert Giles

Quote from: Horab Fibslagernobody has any principles anymroe anyway. at least none that anyone seems willinmg to die fro, and even a hufdred years ago men and women had stronger mettle than that.

I have quite a few principles that I would be willing to die for, thank you.

Horab Fibslager

sure abotu that now? sitting in front of a storm to help feed soem cats that will ahve to be put down in two weeks is alot different then preparign for war based entirely on principles, goign not only yourself, but sending loved ones with you, with the odds being that you are all going to either die on the battlefield, die from hanging(or the blcok), probaly be tortured for soem time before dying if you're captured. your woemnfolk raped and married or sold, your children sold in to indentureship, etc, etc, etc. in teh name of an ideal.

if you think you have plinciples liek the great men who paved the way for you to be living where you are now sitting comfortably bullshitting abotu you're principles then you're only lying to yourself.
Hell is other people.

Horab Fibslager

Quote from: gnimbleyGeez horab, how could you forget? It was from the same movie that gave us

naw i know which movie, and to whom he's talking to. wrath of kahn was my favourite star trek movie as a kid.
Hell is other people.

chaosgraves:agentoferis

Quote from: Horab Fibslagernobody has any principles anymroe anyway. at least none that anyone seems willinmg to die fro, and even a hufdred years ago men and women had stronger mettle than that.
I have a book That is about the principles of discord in my backpack beside me even as I sit here typing... I can feel it's subtle pineal radiations affecting my frontal lobe..... * drool drool drool drool ... my payola*
Constitution?!?!? Isn't that a D&D stat.

Horab Fibslager

io dunno botu you, but despite being a fanatic, i aint about to die for it.
Hell is other people.

BADGE OF HONOR

Wait...isn't the willingness to die for a cause kind of the definition of a fanatic?
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Horab Fibslager

yes, but, ther is a difference. the line has no wrods. at least none that i am familiar with.

let it put it to ya this way. the american forefathers were idealists. they did what what was necesarry, where they could.  fanatics do what they do not becaus it's necesary or it's what they can do, but because they're cleric tells tehm to. it 's a fine line. a very fine line.
Hell is other people.

Rupert Giles

Quote from: Horab Fibslagersure abotu that now? sitting in front of a storm to help feed soem cats that will ahve to be put down in two weeks is alot different then preparign for war based entirely on principles, goign not only yourself, but sending loved ones with you, with the odds being that you are all going to either die on the battlefield, die from hanging(or the blcok), probaly be tortured for soem time before dying if you're captured. your woemnfolk raped and married or sold, your children sold in to indentureship, etc, etc, etc. in teh name of an ideal.

if you think you have plinciples liek the great men who paved the way for you to be living where you are now sitting comfortably bullshitting abotu you're principles then you're only lying to yourself.

I said I, Me, Have principles that I, Me, Myself, would be willing to die for, not principles that I would be willing to have other people die for.

Schweinepriester G.

Kirk had no principles?
1. Kill the Klingons
2. Fuck the prime directive
3. Get the girl

An that kobayashi maru test is stupid anyway
"...it would needlessly exclude IMPS implementations that
  may utilize sub-atomic monkeys and/or multiple universes;"
RFC 2795, section 4 (Infinite-TAG)