News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

See, you CAN learn something new at FoxNews dot com

Started by Disco Pickle, August 14, 2011, 12:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/leisure/2011/08/13/foods-cant-buy-in-united-states/?test=faces#slide=3

The one about Casu Marzu cheese was particularly disgusting.

Wikipedia does a good job explaining: 

QuoteDerived from Pecorino, casu marzu goes beyond typical fermentation to a stage most would consider decomposition, brought about by the digestive action of the larvae of the cheese fly Piophila casei. These larvae are deliberately introduced to the cheese, promoting an advanced level of fermentation and breaking down of the cheese's fats. The texture of the cheese becomes very soft, with some liquid (called lagrima, from the Sardinian for "tears") seeping out. The larvae themselves appear as translucent white worms, about 8 millimetres (0.3 in) long.[1] When disturbed, the larvae can launch themselves for distances up to 15 centimetres (6 in). Some people clear the larvae from the cheese before consuming while others do not.

Doing some link digging about the Ortolan and French habits when eating it was..  enlightening?  I'm not sure that's the correct word.

Once again, help from wikipedia:

QuoteYou catch the ortolan with a net spread up in the forest canopy. Take it alive. Take it home. Poke out its eyes and put it in a small cage. Force-feed it oats and millet and figs until it has swollen to four times its normal size. Drown it in brandy. Roast it whole, in an oven at high heat, for six to eight minutes. Bring it to the table. Place a cloth—a napkin will do—over your head to hide your cruelty from the sight of God. Put the whole bird into your mouth, with only the beak protruding from your lips. Bite. Put the beak on your plate and begin chewing, gently. You will taste three things: First, the sweetness of the flesh and fat. This is God. Then, the bitterness of the guts will begin to overwhelm you. This is the suffering of Jesus. Finally, as your teeth break the small, delicate bones and they begin to lacerate your gums, you will taste the salt of your own blood, mingling with the richness of the fat and the bitterness of the organs. This is the Holy Spirit, the mystery of the Trinity—three united as one. It is cruel. And beautiful.

— Brendan Kiley

I just..  hmmm    ok.     

the one about Pommac is interesting for anyone who's heard that old "saccharin kills rats" meme that I first heard when I was but a wee lad.  The sweetening additive used in it was part of the study that banned it in the US.  It was at a 10:1 ratio of sodium cyclamate:saccharin that caused all the problems with the Rats of Nimh.  A good read, if you're into reading about stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_cyclamate

The last one is Sea Turtle Soup.  I'd probably try it myself if given the opportunity and that's because I'll eat pretty much anything that lives in the ocean.  I'd never kill one to eat myself.  Did a lot of diving in Mexico and seeing those fuckers swim around was a life changing experience.  Almost as life changing as looking deeply into the eyes of a wolf.

Sorry if this was too American-centric for you Europeans and Australians.  I apologise.   :D
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

I heard a 'This American Life' bit on the Ortolan.
it was fascinating...

East Coast Hustle

I've tried Ortolan, though not in the manner described above. If there's a difference between it and squab my palate is not advanced enough to find it.

Sea turtle is fucking disgusting. And eating it is one of the ingrained cultural practices that I wish my fellow islanders would knock the fuck off. It's not meant to taste good, it's meant to give you the ability to produce a 4-day long massive erection. I've heard enough anecdotal evidence of it working for me not to discount it completely but jesus, people, we have pharmacies now and there are PILLS FOR THAT.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

LOL you banned Kinder Surprise Eggs? :lol: that's sad ... some of the toys in them are amazing.

And I never heard about Pommac. If you want an interesting (and delicious!) European soft drink, try Bionade, it's organic and carbonated using fermentation (like ginger ale) and comes in very unique flavours (which are all pretty good, IMO).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I can think of two stores here off the top of my head where you can buy Kinder Surprise... technically they're banned I guess, but I think that for some reason it's still legal to sell them in import stores.

Or they're selling them illegally.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 14, 2011, 07:43:06 PM
Illegal Kinder Surprise eggs are the best kind!

ONLY TERRORISTS BUY ILLEGAL CANDY WITH TOY SURPRISE!

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on August 14, 2011, 08:24:16 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 14, 2011, 02:24:38 AM
You might also enjoy http://www.cracked.com/article_14979_the-6-most-terrifying-foods-in-world.html

:vom:

Seriously, I don't know why I read that... I had a lot to drink last night.

ugh, Balut.  Had a friend from the Philippines explain that one to me a few years ago.  I'm a pretty adventurous eater and I think even that would be a bit too much.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

East Coast Hustle

Yep. I'll eat almost anything. Hell, I fuckin' LOVE durian. But I draw the line at balut.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Elder Iptuous

i just took the kiddos to the asian market yesterday, and they had some balut on display, and they started saying, EGGS! we need more eggs!
i told them that those were not the droids they were looking for and attempted to explain what balut was.
i was afraid that i ruined the concept of eggs in general for them.  but, after about 30 seconds of trying to comprehend what i was saying at them, they both decided that i was just bullshitting them again, and asked to go to the fish tanks again...

Triple Zero

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on August 15, 2011, 03:46:25 PM
Yep. I'll eat almost anything. Hell, I fuckin' LOVE durian. But I draw the line at balut.

I'm not sure. I wouldn't like to eat either, but I anticipate lutefisk tasting more horrible than balut. With balut it's more the idea that is horrible.

Quote from: Iptuous on August 15, 2011, 03:51:33 PM
i just took the kiddos to the asian market yesterday, and they had some balut on display, and they started saying, EGGS! we need more eggs!
i told them that those were not the droids they were looking for and attempted to explain what balut was.
i was afraid that i ruined the concept of eggs in general for them.  but, after about 30 seconds of trying to comprehend what i was saying at them, they both decided that i was just bullshitting them again, and asked to go to the fish tanks again...

:lulz:

East Coast Hustle

I've actually tried lutefisk. And by "tried", I mean "tried to actually get my hand to put the lutefisk in my own mouth and failed utterly".

That shit is WAY the fuck past the line that I draw at balut. I mean, if I was hungry enough, I would eat balut. I'd eat whoever was trying to get me to eat lutefisk before I'd actually eat the lutefisk.

Triple Zero

yeah totally. I mean, if you're hungry, I bet lutefisk isn't going to do much good*, while balut would most probably sort of satiate your hunger.

*unless you count regurgitating your previous meal