News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "Spoiled brats of the pagan world, I thought. I really don't have a lot of respect for Discordians. They just strike me as spiritually lazy."

Main Menu

The Atlas Shrugged Themepark?

Started by Mangrove, August 16, 2011, 04:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 17, 2011, 06:19:09 PM
Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on August 17, 2011, 06:17:39 PM
Thread over. There's no way we can produce anything even remotely as funny as this

They're all going to die.

Government as industry. Floating industry with captive "customer" populations.

What could go wrong?

(Totally not missing the hilarious similarity to our idea a couple of years ago for buying an old cargo ship and converting it into a floating Nation of Discordia.)
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on August 17, 2011, 06:45:44 PM
Thread over. There's no way we can produce anything even remotely as funny as this

What could go wrong?

Wage or even chattel slavery followed by a nice hurricane.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 17, 2011, 06:50:35 PM

What could go wrong?

It's going to be AWESOME. SO

SO

GREAT.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on August 17, 2011, 07:05:03 PM

What could go wrong?

SO

GREAT.

Them:  HELP US!

US Coast Guard:  We can't help noticing that you haven't paid your premiums.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 17, 2011, 07:06:21 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 17, 2011, 07:05:03 PM

What could go wrong?

SO

GREAT.

Them:  HELP US!

US Coast Guard:  We can't help noticing that you haven't paid your premiums.

ZING!

Cain

Quote from: Iptuous on August 16, 2011, 10:42:58 PM
Quote from: Nigel on August 16, 2011, 10:29:24 PM
Actually, I can see it really going places in only 30 years... the first ten, a Utopia of building and cooperation, the second ten, we see the first failures, the last ten, pure anarchist feudalism, disaster, and mayhem out on the open seas!

I know that bashing the libertarians is fun, but on a side note, the Seasteading Foundation claims that they do not support one government form over another, but instead just want to promote these structures so that governmental experimentation of all flavors might be pursued, since there is no frontier on land that this can viably occur anymore.

Philosophically, I could agree with such a program, but realistically centralised states have always had massive advantages over decentralised states, and historically the former tend to eliminate the latter quite easily, and states tend to disapprove of competition at the best of times.

Which really means this is only going to end up one of two ways - if it fails internally, well, no-one will cry much.  And if it succeeds somehow...privateers.

Disco Pickle

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Disco Pickle on August 17, 2011, 08:57:12 PM
Relevant to this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Ty9jFRtOw&feature=share

"I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS TO FAIL"

:lulz:

One of the commentors has a great point; why don't wealthy Libertarians (who I don't think there are many of, actually) colonize Somalia? It's ripe for the picking, all they need is their own militia. A million dollars in Somalia would probably buy you a pretty big start from which to expand an empire.

Nephew Twiddleton

That would involve teabaggers living in the same place as a bunch ofpoor black people.

Nephew Twiddleton

And muslims. I forgot about them being muslim.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on August 17, 2011, 11:23:39 PM
That would involve teabaggers living in the same place as a bunch ofpoor black people.

Point.

Elder Iptuous

I think i'm missing something.
everyone is gleefully thinking about how Mr. Thiel's Island is going to burn to the seafloor in a spectacular failure of radical libertarian foolishness....
but.
all i've seen is that he's donated 1.25M to the seasteading institue, which specifically says on their website that they aren't going to be building any islands themselves.  they just do studies, etc.
so...
who's making an island here?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Iptuous on August 18, 2011, 12:11:32 AM
everyone is gleefully thinking about how Mr. Thiel's Island is going to burn to the seafloor in a spectacular failure of radical libertarian foolishness....
but.
all i've seen is that he's donated 1.25M to the seasteading institue, which specifically says on their website that they aren't going to be building any islands themselves.  they just do studies, etc.
so...

Nobody, yet. They hope to attract investors who will build islands and experiment with different forms of government.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Iptuous on August 18, 2011, 12:11:32 AM
but.
so...

Come on Ippy, you've been here longer than I and you know that when ANY libertarian idea is discussed, no matter WHAT, it's met with :lulzlibertardians: are teh lail.

Concrete concepts are not necessary if the get in the way of teh lulz
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann