News:

Not just a bunch of "Trotskyist, car-hating, Hugo Chavez idolising, newt-fancying hypocrites and bendy bus fetishists."

Main Menu

The Atlas Shrugged Themepark?

Started by Mangrove, August 16, 2011, 04:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Pickle- its true that prior to the obama administration i had known libertarians- college aged men i might add or just fresh out- who did in fact consider themselves centrists. And perhaps they were. That kind of libertarian is gone. Theyre better known as independent voters. The libertarian label has been hijacked by the gop and closet racists. Id be interested what the actual libertarian party has to say about the tea party but you never hear anything from them.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on August 18, 2011, 04:17:37 PM
It is probably worth reiterating that the group - although founded by a libertarian - does not want to just make libertarian islands.

What they actually want to do is develop the technology to the point where it is economically feasible to create floating, self-sufficient settlements. Then see what forms of governance work in those settlements.

I agree that 'the type that is shot by pirates and/or dies from horrific disasters' seems the most likely, but.

The most glorious moment I will ever have, EVER, is the moment when they determine that the best source of floating material upon which to found these cities is the already-existing resource of floating garbage in the sea.

And then Salazore is born.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Anna Mae Bollocks

Libertarians have been consumed by Randroids.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Nigel on August 18, 2011, 08:11:56 PM
It is probably worth reiterating that the group - although founded by a libertarian - does not want to just make libertarian islands.

What they actually want to do is develop the technology to the point where it is economically feasible to create floating, self-sufficient settlements. Then see what forms of governance work in those settlements.

I agree that 'the type that is shot by pirates and/or dies from horrific disasters' seems the most likely, but.

The most glorious moment I will ever have, EVER, is the moment when they determine that the best source of floating material upon which to found these cities is the already-existing resource of floating garbage in the sea.

Oh my goodness yes.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Nigel on August 18, 2011, 08:11:56 PM

http://news.discovery.com/tech/recycled-island-to-be-built-from-ocean-garbage-patch-110331.html
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Precious Moments Zalgo

This has been tried before, with lulzy results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micronation#New-country_projects

• Operation Atlantis, an early 1970s New York–based libertarian group that built a concrete-hulled ship called Freedom, which they sailed to the Caribbean, intending to anchor it permanently there as their "territory". The ship sank in a hurricane and the project foundered with it.
  • Republic of Minerva, another libertarian project that succeeded in building a small man-made island on the Minerva Reefs south of Fiji in 1972 before being ejected by troops from Tonga, who later formally annexed it.
  • Principality of Freedonia, a libertarian project that tried to lease territory from the Sultan of Awdal in Somaliland in 2001. Resulting public dissatisfaction led to rioting, and the reported death of a Somali.
  • Oceania (also known as "The Atlantis Project", but unrelated to the 1970s project listed above), another libertarian artificial island project that raised US $400,000 before going bankrupt in 1994.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Precious Moments Zalgo on August 25, 2011, 03:08:02 AM

• Operation Atlantis, an early 1970s New York–based libertarian group that built a concrete-hulled ship called Freedom, which they sailed to the Caribbean, intending to anchor it permanently there as their "territory". The ship sank in a hurricane and the project foundered with it.
  • Republic of Minerva, another libertarian project that succeeded in building a small man-made island on the Minerva Reefs south of Fiji in 1972 before being ejected by troops from Tonga, who later formally annexed it.
  • Principality of Freedonia, a libertarian project that tried to lease territory from the Sultan of Awdal in Somaliland in 2001. Resulting public dissatisfaction led to rioting, and the reported death of a Somali.
  • Oceania (also known as "The Atlantis Project", but unrelated to the 1970s project listed above), another libertarian artificial island project that raised US $400,000 before going bankrupt in 1994.

I can't decide if Minerva or Oceania is lulzier.

ETA:  Did they know "Freedonia" is from a Marx Brother's movie?
Molon Lube

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2011, 03:12:57 AM

ETA:  Did they know "Freedonia" is from a Marx Brother's movie?

:argh!:
Those upstarts!

Anna Mae Bollocks

I always heard about half of Salem, Mass is built on a landfill.  :x

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2011, 03:12:57 AM

Yeah, they are both lulzy, but for different reasons.

10 years after being ejected by Tongan troops, the founder led a group of people to reoccupy Minerva.  They were reejected three weeks later.

The founder of Oceania used the money he raised to start a web hosting company.  He is now fundraising for a new, even kookier project.

Based on that, I have to give the edge to Oceania.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2011, 03:12:57 AMETA:  Did they know "Freedonia" is from a Marx Brother's movie?
:lulz:

I keep wanting to watch Duck Soup sometime, but I've yet to get around to it.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Phox

So, this has inspired me. I think I'm going to start a private security company that caters to rich morons. Maybe if they do build that island, they'll higher me as security. When this happens, I will happen to notice but it appears the money is better in espionage and piracy.  :lulz:

PopeTom

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on August 25, 2011, 09:27:21 AM
I always heard about half of Salem, Mass is built on a landfill.  :x

The neighborhood of Boston, MA known as Back Bay is also all land fill. 
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Anna Mae Bollocks

The rich side of town? Society column stuff like "Steven Tyler was spotted in the Back Bay shopping for scarves"?

Bruno

Just read title as "Atlas Themed Shrugpark".

Still awaiting visuals.

That is all.
Formerly something else...

PopeTom

Quote from: Anna Mae Bollocks on August 29, 2011, 01:16:42 AM
The rich side of town? Society column stuff like "Steven Tyler was spotted in the Back Bay shopping for scarves"?

The rich people may shop in parts of Back Bay but they all live on Beacon Hill.  Beacon Hill is rock solid old Boston.

History:  Boston was first called Tremont because it consisted of three hills.  Pemberton Hill, Mount Vernon, and Beacon Hill.  What is now Back Bay was a marshy area that was also used as a garbage dump.  During high tide when the area was under water it wasn't too bad.    However low tide on a nice hot summer day the city would reek.  so like any 19th century human would do the people of Boston said 'fuck this shit'.  They tore down Pemberton Hill & Mount Vernon and filled in the Back Bay.   It was the biggest of Boston's many land reclamation projects during that time period.  About half of Beacon Hill was used to build up land in Boston's waterfront district.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!