News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Perry: Government you can TRUST.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 17, 2011, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: Cain on September 09, 2011, 09:27:54 AM
You know what doesn't seem to be getting a lot of coverage?

How the crowd broke out in applause at Rick Perry's number of executions. 

THIS.  I mean, HOLY SHIT.  It wasn't just a polite bit of applause it was a fucking roar of applause. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Luna

Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on September 09, 2011, 01:07:34 PM

THIS.  I mean, HOLY SHIT.  It wasn't just a polite bit of applause it was a fucking roar of applause. 

Ah, yes.  Pro-life, but if they step out of line, kill them!
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

AFK

The blood thirst in this country can be a bit unsettling at times. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Disco Pickle

You're not the only doctor in this debate, Paul
I was a proctologist before I was a Governor
                                     /

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Triple Zero

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 08, 2011, 07:56:33 PM
Who loves this Century?  I love this century.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2011/09/08/introducing_perry_s_rule_why_you_should_never_cite_galileo_to_su.html

QuoteDuring last night's Republican presidential debate, Texas Gov. Rick Perry defended his position as a climate change skeptic. When asked by Poiltico's John Harris to name a scientist whose work on manmade global warming has informed his thinking, Perry said:

QuoteWell, I do agree that there is—the science is—is not settled on this. The idea that we would put Americans' economy at—at—at jeopardy based on scientific theory that's not settled yet, to me, is just—is nonsense. I mean, it—I mean—and I tell somebody, I said, just because you have a group of scientists that have stood up and said here is the fact, Galileo got outvoted for a spell.

Let's leave aside the obvious problem, which is that in Galileo's case, science was "outvoted for a spell" by religious authorities who believed that the Bible was the final wold on the natural order. (That calls to mind Perry's stance on evolution, no?) I understand what he's trying to say, which is that ideological zealots are ignoring scientific evidence in favor of their own worldview. I disagree with it, but that's his argument.

Instead, I would like to propose a corollary to the Internet rule of Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies, which stipulates that the first person to cite Hitler in a Web debate automatically loses. Let's call this new beast the Perry's Rule: If you cite Galileo to support your claim of scientific persecution, you lose.

There is no mention at all in Godwin's Law about "automatically losing", it just states

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1 (100%)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Instead, I would like to propose a corollary to Godwin's Law, if you cite Godwin's Law to support your claim of whatever, you lose. ;-)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 09, 2011, 03:32:49 PM
Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on September 08, 2011, 07:56:33 PM
Who loves this Century?  I love this century.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2011/09/08/introducing_perry_s_rule_why_you_should_never_cite_galileo_to_su.html

QuoteDuring last night's Republican presidential debate, Texas Gov. Rick Perry defended his position as a climate change skeptic. When asked by Poiltico's John Harris to name a scientist whose work on manmade global warming has informed his thinking, Perry said:

QuoteWell, I do agree that there is—the science is—is not settled on this. The idea that we would put Americans' economy at—at—at jeopardy based on scientific theory that's not settled yet, to me, is just—is nonsense. I mean, it—I mean—and I tell somebody, I said, just because you have a group of scientists that have stood up and said here is the fact, Galileo got outvoted for a spell.

Let's leave aside the obvious problem, which is that in Galileo's case, science was "outvoted for a spell" by religious authorities who believed that the Bible was the final wold on the natural order. (That calls to mind Perry's stance on evolution, no?) I understand what he's trying to say, which is that ideological zealots are ignoring scientific evidence in favor of their own worldview. I disagree with it, but that's his argument.

Instead, I would like to propose a corollary to the Internet rule of Godwin's Law of Nazi Analogies, which stipulates that the first person to cite Hitler in a Web debate automatically loses. Let's call this new beast the Perry's Rule: If you cite Galileo to support your claim of scientific persecution, you lose.

There is no mention at all in Godwin's Law about "automatically losing", it just states

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1 (100%)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Instead, I would like to propose a corollary to Godwin's Law, if you cite Godwin's Law to support your claim of whatever, you lose. ;-)
[/quote

THIS.

Because too often these days, comparing things to Hitler and/or nazis and/or concentration camps is PERFECTLY RELEVANT.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Jenne

Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on September 09, 2011, 01:07:34 PM

DINCHYALL KNOW THAT THE ONLY THING THE GUMMAMENT DOES WELL IS KILLIN' FOLKS AS DESERVES IT?

Luna

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Triple Zero

Michelle Bachmann will be offered the Department of Lunatic Ranting Where She Has Little Real Power, if she's lucky.  She's totally bombing, even compared to Romney.

We totally need to get in on this!

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Luna

Ooh, LOOK!  Rick Perry has a DIRECT LINE TO GAWD and can LIFT CURSES WIFF HIS PRAYERS!

QuoteJacobs claims that lands are cursed with violence because they were previously inhabited by Native Americans who "did blood sacrifice" and "were cannibals and they ate people."

Fortunately, Jacobs maintains, Texas Gov. Rick Perry's The Response prayer rally in Houston broke the curse and "the land is starting to rejoice, you see, because of that prayer."

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/jacobs-response-broke-curse-native-american-cannibals

Juana

...I can't even come up with a response to that.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Luna

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 13, 2011, 02:31:20 AM

It's obvious!  He's a Holy High Priest Whotssis, so we HAVE to vote for him, since religion and politics are so intertwined in this country!

We must immediately form a cult around him, singing his praises and pointing out that HIS witchcraft is stronger than the American Indian witchcraft...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on September 13, 2011, 02:31:20 AM

That's because you hate Baby Jesus, and make out with communists.
Molon Lube

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube