News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Perry: Government you can TRUST.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 17, 2011, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

It's all a confidence game.  Which is easy right now because they haven't chosen just who the fuck is running against the incumbent--and said incumbent is one that everyone's disappointed in and no one is really happy with at the moment.

So this kind of poll, while indicative of the general sentiment of malaise about who's running the country in general, is also something that can change on a dime.  All indications point to the fact Obama has an uphill, both ways, in the snow, barefoot kind of road ahead of him for this election cycle.  That's sort of a given.

But until we know what boatload of guano the Republicans are shoveling once the dust settles and the primaries are over...I think it's far from a done deal.

Precious Moments Zalgo

I agree with what Jenne said.  The divisions in that pie graph will change dramatically once "The Republican Candidate" is replaced with the name of a specific Republican candidate.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Scribbly

I have very little idea how American politics works, but... why is everyone assuming Obama will be the one running against this Republican candidate? Is there no mechanism for the Democrats to decide 'actually, Obama, you are a liability now, goodbye, here's Congressman XYZ to be our attempt to regain some credibility.'?

I mean, I keep hearing that Obama has some of the lowest approval ratings ever, so I'm surprised that nobody in the Democrats seems to be trying to oust him. They'd be eating him for lunch over here.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

It is possible to launch a primary challenge against Obama, yes.  In fact, this has been discussed quite frequently in certain progressive circles.

The problem is, basically, the incumbent always has the advantage.  They're a known quantity.  They usually have far greater access to fundraisers, and are more convincingly able to offer political favours to Senators etc for their support.

Throwing in a new guy tends to make the race far more uncertain and so a lot riskier.  Most professional politicians are not willing to accept that risk.

Scribbly

Hm, fair enough.

That's a pity. I'd love to see a CHANGE THIS CHANGE FOR REAL CHANGE campaign.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

There was talk of Matt Damon being the person to primary Obama.

Which I see failing utterly.  And to be honest, I don't think Damon is dumb enough to try it.  More recently, there was talk of having Elizabeth Warren doing it, though since she is bidding for a Senator's seat, that is a no go (it's also foolish, since she is backed by many of the same financial interests as Obama).  There's always someone suggesting that Dennis Kucinich primary whoever is in charge, so that's nothing new.

Luna

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on October 05, 2011, 09:14:31 AM
I have very little idea how American politics works, but... why is everyone assuming Obama will be the one running against this Republican candidate? Is there no mechanism for the Democrats to decide 'actually, Obama, you are a liability now, goodbye, here's Congressman XYZ to be our attempt to regain some credibility.'?

I mean, I keep hearing that Obama has some of the lowest approval ratings ever, so I'm surprised that nobody in the Democrats seems to be trying to oust him. They'd be eating him for lunch over here.

You are misinformed.  You don't even have to go back far...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_approval_rating

Obama's highest disapproval rating looks to be 55%, his lowest approval rating,38%

GW Bush:  Highest Disapproval, 71%, lowest approval, 25%.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Jenne

Actually, a lot of Hollow-wood elitists are trying to fund Hilary Clinton.

That's the word on the street, anyway.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Oooh, if Clinton runs I'm voting for her!

Not in the primaries though, I'm a Republican.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on October 05, 2011, 08:29:08 PM

Which probably means the money is coming straight from the Koch Brothers.
Molon Lube

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 05, 2011, 08:54:07 PM

Could be--heard this on one of dem talking bobblehead shows on Sunday morning.

Cain

Bloomberg had an expose on the Koch brothers the other week.

Turned out, in addition to the family fortune being made in the Soviet Union, they also made money exporting prohibited items to Iran.

Cain

Quote from: Jenne on October 05, 2011, 09:03:29 PM

Sounds like bullshit.  Sunday morning talk shows are full of shit.  You can tell, because John McCain is on practically all of them, and shit oozes out of every little mavericky pore on his body.

Jenne

Quote from: Cain on October 05, 2011, 09:07:47 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 05, 2011, 09:03:29 PM

Sounds like bullshit.  Sunday morning talk shows are full of shit.  You can tell, because John McCain is on practically all of them, and shit oozes out of every little mavericky pore on his body.

:lulz:  Touche.  But sometimes they have their ear to the ground...I just like how they talk about themselves as pundits.  "It's the pundits in the media *eyes slew around the round table* that are creating the rumor Chris Christie wants to run."  :lulz:

Yeah, tell us more we already know.  :lulz:

Juana

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on October 05, 2011, 09:14:31 AM

I don't remember which president, but that has happened. The incumbent (a Democrat, iirc) got ousted hardcore and the replacement won, too.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."