News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

The Unlimited Atlantic Hurricane Season Fread

Started by Suu, August 23, 2011, 02:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 01, 2011, 12:53:24 PM
Quote from: Nigel on September 01, 2011, 02:53:33 AM
Basically, other than a few really obvious "don'ts" such as "Don't build your city on a floodplain", almost anywhere with food and water is as reasonable as anyplace else. I challenge you to find a location in the US that doesn't have one or more of the following:

*Hurricanes
*Tornadoes
*Wretched heatwaves/drought
*Buttfucking cold-ass blizzards
*Major faultlines
*Volcanoes

Quote from: Nigel on September 01, 2011, 02:54:51 AMBasically, Earth is a really shitty place to decide to live, and we should have thought of that before building here.

You kind of skipped from "a location in the US" to the entire Earth, here. Not sure if that was intentional, because most of mid-northern Europe doesn't have all those natural nasties that you listed.

(We did kind of build most of our country on a floodplain, sort of. But that was quite intentional, not so much "OMG WTF is all this water suddenly doing here??/halp I'm drowning/my (wtf wooden) house is floating away/etc" but rather more like "Suck it, Nature, we're gonna build shit (from stone) right here below sea level AND we'll take that bit of sea right there and turn it into land just because we fucking CAN, so there." ;-) )

How did the native americans do it way back then? Did they get hurricaned, tornadoed, heatwaved, dried, frozen, earthquaked, flooded and erupted upon all the time as well?

oh BTW you forgot to mention the crazy big ass insects spiders and wildlife that's actually, you know, dangerous, instead of a bit of a nuisance and/or scared of humans like it's suppose to be.

Didn't you used to be covered in glaciers?

Also, you killed off all of your big scary animals.

The thing is, on a long timeline, every place on earth has some pretty serious drawbacks.

I live surrounded by volcanoes and earthquakes, but I've never experienced a major disaster. I might or might not; it just depends. At some point, one will happen, and that will suck for everyone, and then we'll get over it. That's just what people do. Native Americans have lots of stories about catastrophic natural disasters, including some really spine-shilling stories about the great flood and the tsunami here, but the people who didn't die just got over it and carried on.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on September 01, 2011, 11:02:50 PM

Yeah, but I got better.

QuoteAlso, you killed off all of your big scary animals.

Some of them were tasty and some of them killed off themselves cause they didn't have anywhere to live and some of them should've known better than trying to eat our chickens. They totally had it coming.

QuoteThe thing is, on a long timeline, every place on earth has some pretty serious drawbacks.

Indeed, because eventually the sun will explode and go nova.

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Quote from: Mangrove on September 01, 2011, 09:04:39 PM
Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on September 01, 2011, 08:58:13 PM
Quote from: Mangrove on September 01, 2011, 08:43:15 PM
Power restored to Mang' HQ at 3:15pm!

No property damage, no injuries, no real problems. Thankfully, the worst that could be said was we experienced 'minor inconvenience'.

How's everyone else doing?

Okay.  We just got our power back yesterday.  But then the garage door broke.  And then the mop.  Pretty much everything I touch lately breaks. 

You only just got your power back? Geez, Mang-sister said very little happened in Maine. Exactly the sort of thing a person who had power would say!

There really wasn't much in the way of extensive damage.  It was mostly tree limbs and a few old trees.  They just all happened to all fall on the power lines, or so it seemed.  As of this morning there are still over 3000 Mainers without power.  It's just that Maine is so rural and spreadout, sometimes it takes them awhile just to find where the lines are fucked up. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Suu

They're still restoring power in RI. I may win this bet after all.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

And Katia is finally a hurricane, and she's moving slooooooww. Maybe a cat2 by Monday and then a cat3 by Wednesday according to the Stormpulse models. Then we'll see which way she's headed. Cape Verdian storms ain't nuthin ta fuck wit.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

Put it this way, if I owned a house on Hatteras, I'd just wait another week before I started assessing what repairs need to be made.

"Somewhere between Savannah and the OBX as a high 3/low 4" is what I'm hearing from the Navy guys.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 02, 2011, 11:51:44 AM
Quote from: Nigel on September 01, 2011, 11:02:50 PM

Yeah, but I got better.

QuoteAlso, you killed off all of your big scary animals.

Some of them were tasty and some of them killed off themselves cause they didn't have anywhere to live and some of them should've known better than trying to eat our chickens. They totally had it coming.

QuoteThe thing is, on a long timeline, every place on earth has some pretty serious drawbacks.

Indeed, because eventually the sun will explode and go nova.

You just try looking that smug during the next Ice Age!  :argh!:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

Yeah, you can tell already by the forecast models. This one is gonna hurt.

I may be an East Coast girl through and through, but you can never pay me enough to live anywhere on the Carolina coastline. May as well just put the fucking target on my house. The Gulf coast was rough as it was, but the odds of a direct hit on Tampa Bay are a lot lower than the OBX.

I wouldn't put your dukes down up here though, either. Because even if it doesn't turn, it will float up the coastline as a low and drop a shit ton more water we don't need.

navkat

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 31, 2011, 04:56:59 PM
Quote from: Pancho on August 31, 2011, 12:48:37 PM
Dear Coast Dwellers,

If you buy or build a house on a sandy beach on a coast prone to hurricanes and storms, please STFU when it gets washed out to sea. WTF did you expect?

Let's try that a little differently.

Quote from: Pancho on August 31, 2011, 12:48:37 PM
Dear Midwesterners (excluding Chcagolanders),

If you buy or build a house in an area reliant on old-fashioned, pollution-producing industry that regularly gets 20 ft of snow or more per year, please STFU when your "blue collar values" and urban sprawl have eaten your city into a corpse like scarabs until no one wants to create "good-paying jobs" there. WTF did you expect?

Goin around fixin stuff.

Luna

Good news is, took landlord less than a week to fix the one casualty from the storm.  (One busted window pane, happened when I took the AC out.  Was VERY carefully trying to move water-filled AC over the bed without spilling it...  Window slammed shut, pane shattered, I jumped, water ALL over the fucking bed.  The cursing was spectacular (I was, of course, barefoot.)
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Adios

Quote from: Luna on September 04, 2011, 09:59:06 AM
Good news is, took landlord less than a week to fix the one casualty from the storm.  (One busted window pane, happened when I took the AC out.  Was VERY carefully trying to move water-filled AC over the bed without spilling it...  Window slammed shut, pane shattered, I jumped, water ALL over the fucking bed.  The cursing was spectacular (I was, of course, barefoot.)

I am a bad man, I know this because this had me giggling. :D

East Coast Hustle

New models have Katia getting within a couple hundred miles of Norfolk, then making a big northward hook and pushing back out to sea.

Hope they're right. I'm never fully willing to trust in the bounce-off effect from a westward-moving high pressure system.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Luna

Quote from: Pancho on September 04, 2011, 01:06:27 PM
Quote from: Luna on September 04, 2011, 09:59:06 AM

I am a bad man, I know this because this had me giggling. :D

In retrospect,, it was funny, at the time, I was not a happy camper.  Luckily, the blankets caught most of the water, the mattress dried out fast, and the plastic and tape held through the storm.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Suu

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on September 04, 2011, 02:40:51 PM
New models have Katia getting within a couple hundred miles of Norfolk, then making a big northward hook and pushing back out to sea.

Hope they're right. I'm never fully willing to trust in the bounce-off effect from a westward-moving high pressure system.

And none of the models are showing a landfall. However, that is one really fucking wide cone.