News:

Thinking about Gabbard in general, my animal instinct is to flatten my ears against my head, roll my eyes up till the whites show, bare my teeth, and trill like a cicada stuck in a Commodore 64.

Main Menu

Punk as fuck!

Started by BadBeast, August 30, 2011, 06:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

With the caveat that I'm definitely more metal than punk, I would've had Iggy #1 followed by The Ramones and The Clash.  With the additional caveat that I've always found The Clash's music to be a bit boring compared to The Ramones. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

LMNO

Bad Brains is #10, and behind SOCIAL FUCKING DISTORTION AND THE GODDAMN MISFITS?

:crankey:

Iggy, Clash, BB, BF, DK, Ramones. In that order.

AFK

I'm actually very surprised that The Offspring or Blink-182 didn't end up on that list.  Especially given that it was put together by RollingStone. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

BadBeast

Quote from: The R-tist Sometimes Known as WHN on September 08, 2011, 04:02:52 PM
I'm actually very surprised that The Offspring or Blink-182 didn't end up on that list.  Especially given that it was put together by RollingStone. 
Yeah, or Sigue Sigue Sputnik, Toyah, or Adam & the Ants.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

One of the best things about growing up in NoCo.
Still one of the best things about living in Fort Collins (even better than the balloon boy).
Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, fuck you it's STILL PUNK!
This was about a year after I saw THEM...fucking deal with it. May be McDonald's now, but once upon a time it was just some fucking schmo frying up a few burgers.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

primatewithagun

Hi i'm new here.

A punk top-list is pretty hypocritical. Especially when it comes from The Rolling Stones.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: primatewithagun on December 01, 2011, 01:20:21 PM
Hi i'm new here.

A punk top-list is pretty hypocritical. Especially when it comes from The Rolling Stones.

Hypocritical to what? Rolling Stone Magazine has never, to my knowledge, taken a hard-line stance against dumb-ass top 10 lists.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

primatewithagun

Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on December 02, 2011, 12:33:57 AM
Hi i'm new here.

Hypocritical to what? Rolling Stone Magazine has never, to my knowledge, taken a hard-line stance against dumb-ass top 10 lists.

Hypocritical because punk is all but a popularity contest.

Phox

Quote from: primatewithagun on December 04, 2011, 09:15:54 PM
Quote from: NoLeDeMiel on December 02, 2011, 12:33:57 AM
Hi i'm new here.

Hypocritical because punk is all but a popularity contest.

Wait, what?  :lol:

Reading comprehension you has. A winner is you!

BadBeast

Punk can't be catalogued in "Top ten" lists. Or judged on musical merit. It's not a "Scene",or a "Sound". It's not a "Cultural Phenomena" or a "Movement". It's not marketable, saleable, or contrived. It's not a "Look", or a fucking fashion statement. It's not Political, nor is it defined by Class, wealth, or position. Punk is an Attitude.

< attitude:  "A position assumed for a specific purpose" >
< A mental position regarding a certain stimulus or state>
<Etym. From the Latin, "aptitudin" meaning "fit for it's particular function">

When Marv was electrocuted, and he looked up after the first attempt to fry him, spat, laughed, and said "Is that all you've got"? That was punk as fuck.
It doesn't matter that Marv is a fictional comic book character, it's about the attitude.

George Galloway had it when stood up and told the American Congress, on oath, to their faces, in Washington, that they were all full of shit
regarding Iraq.

Abe Meerul was punk as fuck when he penned "Strange Fruit", as was Billie Holliday when she fought so hard to find a Record Company with the Balls to let her record it.
Rosa Parks was punk as all buggary fuck when she refused to give up her seat on the Bus to Massa Whitey.

Quentin Crisp was punk as fuck when he decided at about 7 years old, that he loved pouffing about the house in his Mother's skirts and high heels, and that the World had just better get used to the fact he "wasn't like other boys".

George Michael was not punk as fuck when, after being caught trying to cottage a Policeman for a bit of hot cock action in a public toilet, to then finally "out" himself and say, "I'm Gay, so what?"  Thereby missing the whole point. No George! No-one gives a fuck that you're Gay. What the fuss is about, is that it's fucking sleazy, seedy, and not really acceptable for Multi-Millionaire Pop stars to Troll around Public Lavatories in order to indulge their secret penchant for a quick Dirty Sanchez with Village People Cop Guy. And then for not even thinking that it might perhaps be a real Cop? That's dumb as fuck, seedy as fuck, embarrassing as fuck. But certainly not punk as fuck.

And Jello Biafra. He is still punk as fuck, in all the ways that John Lydon never was, and never could be. Just compare the contrived, sneery whine of "Holiday in the Sun", to the raw, visceral power of "Holiday in Cambodia". One of those tracks is as Punk as it's fucking possible to get. The other defines the whole Genre of "Punk Rock", and it's about as "Punk" as the steam on my shit.   

Cassius Clay was punk as fuck when he refused to fight in Vietnam, and got stripped of his World title, and thrown in Jail. I can count the number of fucks he didn't give on the fingers of one arse cheek. He just said "Fuck y'all". Did his bird, then came back out, and got his fucking title back. That's punk as fuck.

Attitude and conviction. If you haven't got them both, you might be able to wing your way by in a tight spot with a bit of bluff. But attitude is worthless without conviction. And conviction is impotent without attitude. Ali, even in his Draft case, was never accused of Cowardice by the prosecution. Not even they had the brass neck to suggest that. He was a true giant of a Man. He never ran from a fight in his life. But hey, No Vietcong ever called him "Nigger". He had the attitude. And he had the conviction. Add his natural charisma, and you can't beat a man with a combination like that. And they never did. Punk as fuck.

Tyson had the attitude. But no conviction. And very little charisma. So he was always someone's Bitch. Someone was always Banking from him. Don King, his Women, whether Wives or Whores. His Lawyers, the Tabloids, they all had a good chew on him.

Anyway, I'm done. All I have to finish on is the statement that never, at any point in their career, or by any stretch of the most vivid imagination imaginable, did Green Day ever even get a sniff of what it it was to be "punk as fuck" . 

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

LMNO

infinityshock

bah. i thought this thread was about jailhouse dating and romance.

thread title is false advertising.

BadBeast

All fucking advertising is false. It's all Lies, propaganda, and bullshit. Don't even pretend to act surprised. It won't fucking wash. Sunshine!
The Emperor has a new Cake. He'll offer you a slice. You'll smile politely and take a big bite. What did you expect?! Of course it's made of shit and ashes, just like the last one, and the one before that! So don't try telling me it tastes like Blueberry fucking Ice Cream! Don't try and pretend you don't know shit when you smell it. There may well be sugar sprinkled on it, but it's still a fucking turd. What's that?  . . . . . . . I can't hear you cuz your mouth's full of shit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waJLv46_N6c

Pictures of starving children sell records.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FuEWuK6QOo&feature=related

Charity kills malnutrition. Hunger puts the sparkle back in Television. Unilever washes whiter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUJNrDjf4p4&feature=related

"I am a Timebomb. A ticking ticking ticking timebomb"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foF5j4jMTI8&feature=related

Advertising not only sells you useless shit, it instils the meme/myth of brand loyalty. The idea that your slice of cake tastes infinitely more delicious than their slices of cake. Whispers in your ear, about how much you matter. How valued you are. And you nod, even as you fight back the gag reflex, and swallow the last mouthful of your Turd Cake, and think "Yes, you're right. I am valued. I'm a real big shot". . . . .

Three quarters of the World are starving. (As you brush the crumbs off your designer "Sportswear")
The rest, are dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAcBdTlIR18&list=PLA20E0EB8834E2451&index=4&feature=plpp_video

infinityshock

someone needs to up the dosage on their meds

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: infinityshock on December 09, 2011, 04:21:47 AM
someone needs to up the dosage on their meds

Just where, exactly, do you think you are?   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.