News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

PD Field Trip Proposal ---- A M S T E R D A M

Started by Cramulus, September 28, 2011, 07:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on September 29, 2011, 03:25:51 PM
I'll have enough frequent flyer miles for that trip by then, but I've already decided I'm saving my miles for a free flight to Brisbane, where our chief engineer & his wife have a house that sits empty most of the year and that I can stay in for free while I'm there.

So, Aussie spags, keep in mind that sometime in the next year or so I'll be calling for one of these meetups in upsidedownland.

Also, we should do one of these in STT someday, if anyone's got the stones for that.

Brisbane is appallingly doable.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: P3nT4gR4m on September 29, 2011, 11:17:45 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on September 28, 2011, 11:21:58 PM
Oh, and Enabler and I - and possibly TGG - WILL be making it to England before the end of 2012.

Fuck england, there's fuck all there but crap food and people with silly accents. Come to scotland - we're just up the road and we can show you a party that your internal organs will never forget*!

*or fully recover from

Errr.... crap food? Silly accents? In comparison to Scotland?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Cain on September 29, 2011, 03:27:35 PM
Dangerous tropical country?  Well, I'm sold.

You'd have a field day down there.

You might be the only person I can think of who would accidentally wander into the Bovoni or Pearson Gardens projects and make me feel sorry for the denizens of the projects. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Placid Dingo on September 29, 2011, 12:20:48 PM
On second thoughts 2k and two full days of travel is a lot for only seven days in the country.

where you coming from? my return flight NL-NY was "only" 500 euros (and got a brightly lit night-time 8h wandering around in Reykjavik thrown in for free!*)

(*actually it turned out the shuttle bus to city center was 20 euros but yeah)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Dalek

I'd love to see you guys and this whole March thing sounds great, since in March I'll probably be at a school trip to France and spend a couple of days in Amsterdam.

Faust

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 29, 2011, 05:52:45 PM
On second thoughts 2k and two full days of travel is a lot for only seven days in the country.

where you coming from? my return flight NL-NY was "only" 500 euros (and got a brightly lit night-time 8h wandering around in Reykjavik thrown in for free!*)

I'm lucky in that I can get to amsterdam airport for 95 return with a months notice.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Reginald Ret

Hmm, I'm not sure I can make it.
It's so far(20km) and expensive(10,60 euro)...
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Regret on September 29, 2011, 08:33:46 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure I can make it.
It's so far(20km) and expensive(10,60 euro)...

Better start buying lottery tickets!
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 29, 2011, 05:52:45 PM

See it's $1600 or so from Brisbane, QLD. 24 hour flight either way. That's actually not taking into account that brisbane itself is a 2 hr flight away from where I am.

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Triple Zero

yeaaahhh australierr of course.

Then you just need to dig a tunnel through the earth using morphic fields. I've seen em do it on Torchwood and if you bleed to immortal guys on each end, things get all funky. But don't do that, it sucked.

Hoser McRhizzy

Quote from: Faust on September 29, 2011, 11:58:24 AM
My live sloath sex show got rejected.

They wouldn't take my Slugs Gone Wild submission either...   :?  what IS academia coming to?

Quote from: Demolition_Squid on September 29, 2011, 09:17:28 AM
Quote from: Hoser McRhizzy on September 29, 2011, 06:31:58 AM
Call for papers:

QuoteThe Amsterdam School for Cultural Analysis (ASCA) invites proposals for papers and artistic contributions around the topic "Extremely Close and Incredibly Slow" for its annual international workshop and conference.

:lulz:

I can't make it, but if your school or work chips in for conference funding / professional development, the deadline for your 300 word proposal and bio is in 3 days.  Conference is March 28th.

Cool idea, cram.

(they're also looking for "Extremely Close and Incredibly Slow" 'performances'...)

Huuuh.

Thanks for this, Hoser. It got the old brain turning. I might actually submit something for this - you never know, you might get lucky. It took me 15 minutes to hash together a proposal on the subject that has been bubbling in the back of my mind for a bit (on the nature of online communities). It needs to be in by the 1st... so I'll have a reread of it after work and probably throw it at the email tonight.

Sweet!  Were you able to get this out on time?

/derail
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Scribbly

Yup! I made the first cut, and they are deliberating which proposals will go forward.  :D
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Looks like PED and I may already be in Amsterdam by March. I've got a couple interesting job offers there :)
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Just remember, "an office with a view" doesn't necessarily mean in Amsterdam what it means everywhere else...