News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Anwar al-Walaki assassinated.

Started by Cain, September 30, 2011, 01:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Anwar al-Walaki is being reported as killed in Yemen.  This is important because:

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/salon/greenwald/~3/Ba7oZeZo2rw/awlaki

QuoteIt was first reported in January of last year that the Obama administration had compiled a hit list of American citizens whom the President had ordered assassinated without any due process, and one of those Americans was Anwar al-Awlaki.  No effort was made to indict him for any crimes (despite a report last October that the Obama administration was "considering" indicting him).  Despite substantial doubt among Yemen experts about whether he even has any operational role in Al Qaeda, no evidence (as opposed to unverified government accusations) was presented of his guilt.  When Awlaki's father sought a court order barring Obama from killing his son, the DOJ argued, among other things, that such decisions were "state secrets" and thus beyond the scrutiny of the courts.  He was simply ordered killed by the President: his judge, jury and executioner.  When Awlaki's inclusion on President Obama's hit list was confirmed, The New York Times noted that "it is extremely rare, if not unprecedented, for an American to be approved for targeted killing."

After several unsuccessful efforts to assassinate its own citizen, the U.S. succeeded today (and it was the U.S.).  It almost certainly was able to find and kill Awlaki with the help of its long-time close friend President Saleh, who took a little time off from murdering his own citizens to help the U.S. murder its.  The U.S. thus transformed someone who was, at best, a marginal figure into a martyr, and again showed its true face to the world.  The government and media search for The Next bin Laden has undoubtedly already commenced.

So, yeah.  Good thing Obama isn't like Bush and is bringing integrity and rule of law back to the White House.

Scribbly

I heard about this and thought it was surprising that after so many years, they'd suddenly get two highly prominent Al Qaeda figures.

I was completely unaware of the fact he was an american citizen. Thanks for putting a spotlight on this, Cain, that fact is going pretty underreported, and puts a more sinister cast on the whole thing.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Cain

al-Walaki's chief role seems to be that of "inspiring" terrorism, through sermons and so on.

Unfortunately, I believe such speech is in fact protected under US law (there was a trial, a KKK member was suggesting violent overthrow of the federal government, the court ruled he was within his rights to do so).

Furthermore, his operational role in terrorist activities was never established publically.  Given the track record of US intelligence in assessing threats and so on, I would rather trust a court (barely) to pronounce a judgement.

LMNO

I didn't realize that he was never indicted, or tried in absentia.  So, the attitude is, "we have proof, but we can't show you".

Fuckers.

Scribbly

Checks and balances are so last century.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

The Rev

In other news, the First and Fifth amendments of the U.S. Constitution were killed in action by the U.S. Government.

Jasper

I don't want to live on this planet anymore...

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on September 30, 2011, 01:42:17 PM
So, yeah.  Good thing Obama isn't like Bush and is bringing integrity and rule of law back to the White House.

I think the office of "The President of The United States of America" is actually a Go'auld.

Different host, same slimy snake-creature with psychopathic, treacherous, bloodthirsty habits.

And he cut funding to SG-1, which is why MacGyver hasn't been able to save us.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cainad on September 30, 2011, 05:46:30 PM
Quote from: Cain on September 30, 2011, 01:42:17 PM

I think the office of "The President of The United States of America" is actually a Go'auld.

Different host, same slimy snake-creature with psychopathic, treacherous, bloodthirsty habits.

And he cut funding to SG-1, which is why MacGyver hasn't been able to save us.

Not Go'auldy enough. He sent them off-world to an Ice Planet where he had already destroyed the DHD.

Oh, and there are scary predators. And no local Egyptians to help them out of their mess. Completely abandoned planet.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Da6s

QuoteArticle 3, Section 3: Treason
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

the only argument in defense of this they'll ever make. or need really.

neveryoumind that nonsense about Congress.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Cain

Also that pesky little part about conviction and testimony of two witnesses in court.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

I want to facepalm so hard it gives me a concussion and puts me into a coma.

Cain

Anywhere a drone can operate, so can a Special Forces team.  Especially since the government in Yemen is much more open to US action than, say, Pakistan.  Taking al-Walaki alive was always an option.  It was just easier to kill him. 

I suspect this had little to do with al-Walaki's propaganda per se, but was instead done in order to send a message to other Americans who have given vocal support to the jihad - you're no longer safe.  The rule of law does not apply to you.  Voice support for jihad, convince others to take up arms against America, and we will find you, and we will kill you.

In other news, this leaves a chubby, Californian metalhead in charge of Al-Qaeda's English language media operations.  No, I'm not even joking.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on October 01, 2011, 04:29:52 PM
Anywhere a drone can operate, so can a Special Forces team.  Especially since the government in Yemen is much more open to US action than, say, Pakistan.  Taking al-Walaki alive was always an option.  It was just easier to kill him. 

I suspect this had little to do with al-Walaki's propaganda per se, but was instead done in order to send a message to other Americans who have given vocal support to the jihad - you're no longer safe.  The rule of law does not apply to you.  Voice support for jihad, convince others to take up arms against America, and we will find you, and we will kill you.

In other news, this leaves a chubby, Californian metalhead in charge of Al-Qaeda's English language media operations.  No, I'm not even joking.

This is somewhere between  :| and  :horrormirth:

And everyday it gets more likely average citizens will be dissapeared.