News:

'sup, my privileged, cishet shitlords?  I'm back from oppressing womyn and PoC.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

What Cain said.

Quote from: Iptuous on October 06, 2011, 02:02:07 PM
You think the 1% crowd could be provoked into violence?
:?
That seems unlikely.

or, are you saying that the Occupy crowd should be provoked?

The latter.

Whether it's done by the actual 1% peoples or not is immaterial.

Quote from: Cain on October 06, 2011, 12:24:20 AM
From the Chicago protests:

Yeah, not helping your case there, guys.

Like this ^^^

And that thing where they were looking down upon the protestors sipping champagne.

Need Moar enraging shit like that!!
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Elder Iptuous

ah, i see...
i guess i was thinking agent provocateurs were always pretending to be on the side of those that they are stirring up to act violently.

So to taunt the occupy crowd to grow teeth, a demonstration of a wall street type bagging on a protester, mocking him/her for using nonviolence when the people they are protesting against hold all the cards and couldn't care less how the 99% end up...

this could be staged at the actual event, but then there's a greater risk that it's exposed that it's a production.  if it was done in a controlled environment and put on youtube, the protesters at wall st. would still get the rise out of it, but it would be a safer bet.

Cramulus

Footage from last night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEBAGIool0

INTENSE

my buddy was there (at the protest yesterday, not at the event in this video), says his friend was in one of the apartments which overlooked this.

(fun fact: there's a ton of student housing on wall street. Turns out the rent is really low over there. Apparently 9/11 made wall st real estate plummet)

Cramulus

a fox news reporter & camera man got maced during the struggle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YrIRmamVqk

Yesterday (Wed Oct 5) was the biggest day of the protest so far. My friend who was there said they hit the 20K mark, which was their original target size. It was so big because of the vets showing up, the unions showing up, and there were walkouts staged at all the city colleges and surrounding schools (including my alma mater, SUNY Purchase! yay purchase!).

So there were 20,000 people there yesterday, but there will be much fewer today.

My cabalmate says that people are prepared to camp out all winter.

He also said that if you want the breaking news, go to twitter - everybody's posting to twitter every 10 seconds. Everybody has their phones out. If a cop farts, 10 cameras catch it.

kingyak

Quote from: Nigel on October 05, 2011, 08:56:07 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on October 05, 2011, 07:30:45 PM
99.6% have a refrigerator and that's a GOOD THING. Having a fridge is a basic necessity for living. Maybe not like clean water and shelter, but the next thing. Especially if you live on a tight budget, you need a fridge, otherwise you'd be throwing away food all the time.

I know preaching to the choir here.

Funny how they didn't say 99.6 has a TV, right? Because the numbers are probably pretty high as well. Except to a corporate media entity like Fox, a TV is more a basic life necessity than a fridge :) It doesn't understand these hu-mans. They just need to watch, not eat, wtf?!

Ugh, I know! WTF people. Plus, if you don't have a fridge and a way to heat food, you end up having to buy vastly more expensive pre-prepared food in order to eat.

Yes, the poor mostly also have indoor plumbing, as well.

The thing is, due to housing codes, the urban poor HAVE to have these things. It's not like one of the rental options in NYC is "dirt floor shack".

I for one will not rest until the poor are smeared with dirt, living in rubbish bins, wearing tattered rags, and performing elaborate song and dance numbers.

I also demand that we bring back chimney sweeps. I find them delightful. 

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Doktor Howl

I am becoming encouraged.  Protesting while people are actually there is a big step.
Molon Lube

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cramulus on October 06, 2011, 02:39:19 PM
Footage from last night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELEBAGIool0

INTENSE

my buddy was there (at the protest yesterday, not at the event in this video), says his friend was in one of the apartments which overlooked this.

(fun fact: there's a ton of student housing on wall street. Turns out the rent is really low over there. Apparently 9/11 made wall st real estate plummet)

Whooow. Jetzt geht los!

Big question: who were the guys in the suits and ties?

I kinda got chills when that crowd started chanting "we are the 99%"
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

The Rev

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 06, 2011, 03:18:17 PM
I am becoming encouraged.  Protesting while people are actually there is a big step.

Shits getting real Dok. I guess hope still lives. I, for one, am proud of the protestors, they are sticking to it.

Had to edit to add "hope", guess it's been too damn long since I had any.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 06, 2011, 02:04:39 PM
I believe Trip is saying the OWS crowd need agent provocateurs pretending to be the "1%" and acting like complete, entitled assholes in order to better heighten the "us and them" dynamic needed for a successful protest movement.

I agree.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Maybe we should send Trix and Pickle?

Cain

Steady on now...we don't want a re-run of the French Revolution.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Rev on October 06, 2011, 03:43:11 PM
I am becoming encouraged.  Protesting while people are actually there is a big step.

Shits getting real Dok. I guess hope still lives. I, for one, am proud of the protestors, they are sticking to it.

I'm not to the hope stage yet, but I can see it from here.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Mr. Language states that for there to be any possibility of change, people will have to get hurt. I agree; it will have to snowball a fair bit from here.

He's going downtown at noon, I asked him to send me pics since I'm going to stay home like a good little woman, making soup and carrot cake for the children.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 06, 2011, 04:37:24 PM
Quote from: The Rev on October 06, 2011, 03:43:11 PM

I'm not to the hope stage yet, but I can see it from here.

That's the best we've had since 1963.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division