News:

Just 'cause this is a Discordian board doesn't mean we eat up dada bullshit

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2011, 05:09:46 PM
Mr. Language states that for there to be any possibility of change, people will have to get hurt. I agree; it will have to snowball a fair bit from here.

He's going downtown at noon, I asked him to send me pics since I'm going to stay home like a good little woman, making soup and carrot cake for the children.

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BRING THEM TO THE PROTEST!?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on October 06, 2011, 05:14:51 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2011, 05:09:46 PM
Mr. Language states that for there to be any possibility of change, people will have to get hurt. I agree; it will have to snowball a fair bit from here.

He's going downtown at noon, I asked him to send me pics since I'm going to stay home like a good little woman, making soup and carrot cake for the children.

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO BRING THEM TO THE PROTEST!?

hahahahahahhahahahahahahaaaa
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I know people are taking their kids to the protest, and especially on the first day it's likely to be very safe. EFO has been to protests (and has seen people pepper-sprayed by the police) but I can't just take her (because she's the babysitter one) and I won't take LO, because LO exists in a slightly alternate universe where none of it would make sense and it would either terrify her or activate her bloodlust.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel on October 06, 2011, 05:31:00 PM
I know people are taking their kids to the protest, and especially on the first day it's likely to be very safe. EFO has been to protests (and has seen people pepper-sprayed by the police) but I can't just take her (because she's the babysitter one) and I won't take LO, because LO exists in a slightly alternate universe where none of it would make sense and it would either terrify her or activate her bloodlust.

I figure if kids are pretty much adult-sized they'll be ok, but parents that bring very small children really grinds my gears. They can get hurt more easily and yeah, psychologically messed up too.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

kingyak

Quote from: Net on October 06, 2011, 06:32:21 PM

I figure if kids are pretty much adult-sized they'll be ok, but parents that bring very small children really grinds my gears. They can get hurt more easily and yeah, psychologically messed up too.

I feel the same way about science fiction conventions.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Dysfunctional Cunt

I will take my kids with me on Saturday afternoon if I go.  I'm kind of weird in that I make them watch the news so they know what is happening in the world around them, so they are a bit caught up in what is happening in NY. 

We've had arrests here, but the protestors were in a park that had a posted curfew time and it was after that time. 

I think it will be fairly safe.

Nephew Twiddleton

Occupy Boston seems to be going rather quietly. Menino made some comment about making sure the protesters have ample food and restroom accommodations, room for tents,  on the evening news.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 06, 2011, 03:45:38 AM
http://www.launch.is/blog/be-the-1-chamath-airbnb-occupy-wall-street-and-the-choice-mi.html

Relevant to this thread and better worded than I possibly could.

prediction: I'll still get shit for it, and so will he.  Hell, he has, in the comments.

Why do people keep insisting there is no mission statement?  They have one right on their website.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

BabylonHoruv

First day of the Seattle WTO protests the police teargassed and peppersprayed like mad bastards.  I think you are making the right choice keeping them home.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Pope Pixie Pickle

http://www.coffeepartyusa.com/occupy-official-statement

an offical statement from the occupy wall street peeps.

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 06, 2011, 06:52:09 PM
Occupy Boston seems to be going rather quietly. Menino made some comment about making sure the protesters have ample food and restroom accommodations, room for tents,  on the evening news.

Didn't Cain mention that tactic earlier? Boston is trying to get rid of them.  :sad:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Cramulus

The Tea Party responds to the official statement from OWS. Pasted here for convenience. I don't know if this is "official" or not.

The original post has several links in each paragraph which I'm not going to transcribe.

http://www.teapartynation.com/profiles/blogs/the-daily-blade-occupy-haight-ashbury

Occupy Haight Ashbury

The "Occupy Wall Street" protesters finally figured out what they want – sorta; their Website lists 13 proposed demands. As a beleaguered taxpayer, conservative and patriotic American, The Stiletto has her own list of demands for President Barack Hussein Obama, Congress and the Supreme Court – her revolution will be televised on C-SPAN:

Demand one: Restoration of the living wage. This demand can only be met by stopping the endless flow of illegal immigrants into our country to work at wages that are not only below a "living wage" – which the brains behind Occupy Wall Street have pegged at "twenty dollars an hr" – but too often are below the minimum wage (which currently ranges from $5.15 to $8.25 per hour, but will rise in several states in 2012). The more illegal immigrants drive down wages for less-educated workers, the bigger the impact on black Americans. Therefore, enabling and supporting illegal immigration is a form of racism.

Demand two: Free hospitals from the legal obligation to provide free, long-term medical treatment to patients who are illegal, underinsured or uninsured (usually, all three). There is no free medical care in Mexico; only the US gives away a labor-intensive and expensive commodity like kidney dialysis away for free to anyone who needs it. The result is that public hospitals serving our poorest and most vulnerable citizens are going bankrupt and shutting their doors forcing inner city elderly and disabled people who rely on public transportation to go miles out of their neighborhoods to get medical care (last item on page).

Demand three: Guaranteed right to work laws in every state, regardless of the influence of labor unions' political donations.

Demand four: Freedom to attend the college and professional school of your choice, with admission based on academic and athletic achievement rather than race-based preferences.

Demand five: Begin a fast track process to resolve the question of whether fracking (hydraulic fracturing, or underground shale gas drilling) should be regulated on the state or federal level; Congress should pass HR 1230 to revive offshore leasing; Congress should pass S 706/HR 1287 to open up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) to oil exploration and production; Congress should pass HR 1231 to reverse President Barack Hussein Obama's offshore drilling moratorium.

Demand six: If the American Jobs Act of 2011 ever comes to a vote, Congress should strip out the proposal to reduce the tax break on municipal bond interest that "rich" taxpayers earning more than $250,000 per year can take from 35 percent to 28 percent. Municipal bonds prices will sink, meaning that it will cost more for state and local governments to borrow the money needed for infrastructure projects and they will either have to impose more taxes to proceed with shovel-ready projects, or either postpone or scrap them altogether.

Demand seven: Reallocate a percentage of foreign aid to Mexico towards reversing the ecological damage to the Sonoran desert caused by several million illegals crossing into Southern Arizona from Mexico and picking up the 25 million pounds of trash they have left behind, as well as restoration of national park land, forests and watersheds that Mexican drug gangs growing marijuana have polluted with fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides that have been banned in the U.S. 

Demand eight: Balanced budget amendment.

Demand nine: Except in cases of documented persecution or ethnic cleansing, end chain migration, in which resettling one immigrant, refugee, or asylee in the U.S. opens the door to the admission of their children, parents, in-laws, siblings – and the children and in-laws of their siblings (many of whom do not work). Congress should pass HR 692, and investigate fraudulent applications.

Demand ten: Bring American elections up to international standards by passing state voter ID laws to prevent voter fraud, which has been documented to have occurred in several states.

Demand eleven: Immediate across the board reduction in foreign aid to Clinton administration levels, and ensure taxpayer dollars are used to further U.S. national security interests rather than being sent to countries that repurpose it to undermine our foreign policy goals, or that provide safe haven and other support to terrorists who kill our soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Demand twelve: Outlaw neighborhood medical marijuana dispensaries – immediately closing down those located near schools – and require them to be operated by hospitals and administered by trained medical personnel, and subject to accounting audits to prevent money laundering.

Demand thirteen: Ban automatic payroll deductions for union dues, and require each union member to consent in writing to his or her dues being used to back or defeat specific candidates or ballot initiatives. 

The Stiletto calls upon right-thinking Americans to converge upon the intersection of Haight and Ashbury Streets in San Francisco – the epicenter of  hippie-dippydom – and press these demands.

"Hey, hey, ho, ho. Illegal aliens got to go!"

"One, two, three four. Don't raise my taxes any more!"

"What do we want? Economic growth! When do we want it? Now!" 

"Hey BHO, how many trillions did you spend today?"

Precious Moments Zalgo

Quote from: Cramulus on October 06, 2011, 08:54:59 PMThe Stiletto calls upon right-thinking Americans to converge upon the intersection of Haight and Ashbury Streets in San Francisco – the epicenter of  hippie-dippydom – and press these demands.
45 years ago.  It's an outdoor shopping mall now.

:lulz:
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

kingyak

These are obviously the demands of TRUE AMERICANS. I know I lay awake at night praying that the government would end the time-consuming regulatory process that prevents me from starting my own fracking operation and planting a couple of oil rigs in Alaska and off-shore.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Nephew Twiddleton

@stelz- i missed cains post but yeah it seems like a clever way to go for a mayor.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS