News:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Quote from: Nigel on October 13, 2011, 09:08:08 PM
I've heard that NY and Seattle have told their Occupy groups that they have to get out by Saturday.

I don't see this going over very well.

Friday night is "Family Camp/sleepover night" at OWS NYC.

I got $5 that says we're going to see footage of a cop tasering and/or spaying mace in the face of a kid within the next 48 hours.

Cramulus

I've heard that NY and Seattle have told their Occupy groups that they have to get out by Saturday.

have you read anything about this? I've been looking around, trying to figure out what the story is...

http://gothamist.com/2011/10/13/protesters_refuse_to_leave_zuccotti.php

is this what they're talking about? Mainly a sanitation pass?

A cabalmate who was at the protest said that "The bottom line is that Bloomberg or the park owners really could pull the plug on this at any time. It's not a public space and the legal right to protest there is questionable."

rong

Maybe its time to march?
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

kingyak

Quote from: Cramulus on October 13, 2011, 10:00:22 PM

have you read anything about this? I've been looking around, trying to figure out what the story is...

A cabalmate who was at the protest said that "The bottom line is that Bloomberg or the park owners really could pull the plug on this at any time. It's not a public space and the legal right to protest there is questionable."

PURE SPECULATION AHEAD:
Does anyone know how "privately owned" the park really is? Because it's located in one of the highest-rent areas in one of the highest-rent cities in the world and it seems very out of character to me for a company to not only let that land sit there not turning a profit, but to spend money on upkeep. Anybody know if there's a huge taxpayer-funded "green space subsidy" or something similar keeping the park from being turned into a parking garage?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Disco Pickle

Quote from: kingyak on October 14, 2011, 01:58:50 AM

PURE SPECULATION AHEAD:
Does anyone know how "privately owned" the park really is? Because it's located in one of the highest-rent areas in one of the highest-rent cities in the world and it seems very out of character to me for a company to not only let that land sit there not turning a profit, but to spend money on upkeep. Anybody know if there's a huge taxpayer-funded "green space subsidy" or something similar keeping the park from being turned into a parking garage?

Because there's never been any people with money willing to cooperatively purchase some land to prevent it from being developed, so it can be used by everyone?

what?

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

kingyak

Also a possibility, but given the property values it seems less likely to me.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: kingyak on October 14, 2011, 02:16:04 AM

It's fucking New York City.  The people who own property there pay some of the highest prices on the planet.  What the fuck makes you think they wouldn't be interested and be willing to pay to  have some parks in their concrete prison?

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Freeky

Looks like someone dropped a used tampon in Pickle's punch. 

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Science me, babby on October 14, 2011, 02:23:57 AM
Looks like someone dropped a used tampon in Pickle's punch. 

Hey Freeky.

Naaaa..  Burbon and thoughts make me cuss a bit more than normal is all.

kingyak

Quote from: Disco Pickle on October 14, 2011, 02:19:18 AM
Quote from: kingyak on October 14, 2011, 02:16:04 AM

It's fucking New York City.  The people who own property there pay some of the highest prices on the planet.  What the fuck makes you think they wouldn't be interested and be willing to pay to  have some parks in their concrete prison?

Calm down and take some deep breaths.

I said it SEEMS unlikely TO ME. It's entirely possible that I'm wrong and the park is owned by a collective of wall street traders who love tress and flowers and chirping birds and basket weavers who sit and smile and twiddle there thumbs and toes. Maybe they occasionally break into song and dance. I don't know.

Nephew Twiddleton

Thats an awesome image
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 13, 2011, 09:30:26 PM

Friday night is "Family Camp/sleepover night" at OWS NYC.

I got $5 that says we're going to see footage of a cop tasering and/or spaying mace in the face of a kid within the next 48 hours.

I think, sir, that your money is safe.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yes, and they've been told not to bring tarps or sleeping bags back to the square afterwards.

Luna

Even if it's a public park...

http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_about/rules_and_regulations/rr_1-04.html

Quotep.  Unlawful camping
No person shall engage in camping, or erect or maintain a tent, shelter, or camp in any park without a permit.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."