News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Precious Moments Zalgo

Occupy Charlotte has two competing FB pages run by different people trying to assert themselves as leaders.

Thread with lots of monkey drama here: OCCUPY CHARLOTTE IS A FAILURE

Linked thread also has a couple of people claiming to represent Anonymous.

Also, photo albums of screen shots: Slander and lies from anonymous north carolina and its groupies, More slander from anonymous North carolina and its groupies.

:monkeydance:
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cain

Placid Dingo

Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

On Have I Got News For You last night, Tory simpleton and chick-lit author Louise Mensch was trying to take a shot at Occupy London by pointing out people there drank coffee and used iPhones.

She got utterly ripped apart by the two team captains, Paul Merton and Ian Hislop.  Paul Merton, in his usual style, made a recurring gag about how people who drink coffee are no longer allowed an opinion, and Ian Hislop said of course, if the economy sucked due to something bankers did, then maybe the protestors would have a point.

I'd link, only non-Brits cannot use BBC iPlayer.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2011, 12:00:02 PM
On Have I Got News For You last night, Tory simpleton and chick-lit author Louise Mensch was trying to take a shot at Occupy London by pointing out people there drank coffee and used iPhones.

She got utterly ripped apart by the two team captains, Paul Merton and Ian Hislop.  Paul Merton, in his usual style, made a recurring gag about how people who drink coffee are no longer allowed an opinion, and Ian Hislop said of course, if the economy sucked due to something bankers did, then maybe the protestors would have a point.

I was deconstructing that argument just the other day (as diplomatically as possible since dude owes me).

The strategy seems to originate with that CNN woman Pickle was derping to, right? I can't seem to find it...

We should do some image macros that mock this somewhat popular meme.

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Cain

The best way is not to frame it as anti-capitalist or anti-corporate protests, but as anti-financial crime protests.

Because, at its most basic, the banks were involved in criminal acts, on a mass scale.  No-one has been punished, instead they have been rewarded.

That's how I always frame it, anyway.  They committed enough fraud to bring the world economy to the brink, they need to pay for what they did.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on October 22, 2011, 08:00:00 PM
Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2011, 12:00:02 PM

I was deconstructing that argument just the other day (as diplomatically as possible since dude owes me).

The strategy seems to originate with that CNN woman Pickle was derping to, right? I can't seem to find it...

We should do some image macros that mock this somewhat popular meme.

I like this.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2011, 10:00:59 PM
The best way is not to frame it as anti-capitalist or anti-corporate protests, but as anti-financial crime protests.

Because, at its most basic, the banks were involved in criminal acts, on a mass scale.  No-one has been punished, instead they have been rewarded.

That's how I always frame it, anyway.  They committed enough fraud to bring the world economy to the brink, they need to pay for what they did.

I also like this.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Nigel on October 22, 2011, 03:31:35 AM
Quote from: Placid Dingo on October 22, 2011, 03:26:16 AM
Melbourne is clearly having some Police assisted fun times.

I guess they don't have the right to protest in Australia.

Well everyone actually calmed the fuck down yesterday. Not sure how it's going today.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Quote from: Cain on October 22, 2011, 10:00:59 PM

The idea was to mock the broad-brush anti-corporate frame (coffee and iPhones, see), but perhaps Poe's Law strikes again.

In my conversations I frame the situation in almost the exact same terms and then elaborate on some of the particulars.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

THAT MAN IS WEARING PANTS

PROTEST INVALIDATED.