News:

In my heart I knew that rotten testicles and inflamed penises were on the way.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

It is probably naiveness, as much as anything.

"It's not like the cops go around starting fights or anything...obviously the protestors must be responsible."

maphdet

Just have a quick note about that mayor of Oakland.

She most likely retracted her first release due to the some that posted a reply to it on her FB page.
:)

13,130 some to be exact.

OH yeah--- Here is her page btw.
hxxps://www.facebook.com/MayorJeanQuan

:)

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Jenne

Quote from: Nigel on October 27, 2011, 10:11:55 PM
Quote from: Jenne on October 27, 2011, 09:48:32 PM
Maybe now the Occupy movement is getting "Too Big Too Fail"?  Or just too big for its britches?  I think it's hilarious that this once-ad-hoc movement is now requiring folks to "fill out paperwork" to get the money donated to them.

In a way, it's awesome, in a way, it's ookook sad.  Either way, yes, I'm glad they have $ to help them eat etc.

How else do you do it? Just give money to whoever asks for it?

Good question--but it still makes me laugh.  Because I think this movement's bigger than the Tea Party movement, and it has bigger teeth since it's not corporate-sponsored, either.  It gets shit on for being unorganized, but here we have an example of how order is definitely following chaos straight into organization...

Suu

Occupy Providence just pissed me off again.

Why?

They're always out peddling for handouts and donations.............and then turn around and then announce they are having drum workshops in the park they're occupying, instead of actually performing any sort of activism. All the drums do is make noise and piss people off, which, when they get threatened to get kicked out again and blow a huge fit, they should understand why. You're supposed to be protesting, not reenacting Burning Man.

Reports have also come in that RISD students have taken residence and are using the movement at a "living art project", in which these little trustafarian shitnecks who pay $50k a year to never have a job in their lives still go to class on a daily basis and eat at the dining hall. Again, doing it wrong.

Why the fuck does Providence do everything backwards?
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Cain

The drum circles are utterly insufferable.

Do you see now, why I wish the American left really were Marxists?  They'd be waving Kalashnikovs all over the place, and attempting to storm the state capital and occupy the banks.

Armed insurrection is always preferable to drum circles.  No exception.

Suu

They're not even GOOD at it! I could walk in with my djembe and lay a proverbial smackdown of doum, tek, and ka, and I'm in no way shape or form an awesome hand drummer.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

East Coast Hustle

I don't think there's any such thing as an awesome hand drummer.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cramulus

Quote from: Suu on October 28, 2011, 06:16:34 PM
Occupy Providence just pissed me off again.

Why?

They're always out peddling for handouts and donations.............and then turn around and then announce they are having drum workshops in the park they're occupying, instead of actually performing any sort of activism. All the drums do is make noise and piss people off, which, when they get threatened to get kicked out again and blow a huge fit, they should understand why. You're supposed to be protesting, not reenacting Burning Man.

the drum circles suck, they give Occupy's detractors something to point at and go "See, they don't have a point, they're just hippies!"

LUCKILY, our right to assemble doesn't have any qualifiers like "you have the freedom to assemble between business hours, as long as your protest is quiet and inoffensive and you have a sad look on your face." The Assembly itself is the activism, the activities they do there are mainly to keep spirits up. It's gonna be a long winter.

QuoteReports have also come in that RISD students have taken residence and are using the movement at a "living art project", in which these little trustafarian shitnecks who pay $50k a year to never have a job in their lives still go to class on a daily basis and eat at the dining hall. Again, doing it wrong.

RISD's expensive, but their art degree doesn't mean you'll never have to work. These kids are looking at a dire job market and grim prospects for repaying that $50K per year. Student loans are in dire need of reform. I'm glad the kids are are getting out and participating.

Suu

No, RISD kids come from wealthy backgrounds, bitch about working when they HAVE jobs to "keep them busy", bitch about their classes and how their professors "don't get their art", and are no-tip motherfuckers. When I applied to go there, I got in, but I was sneered at when I inquired about financial aid, especially when I was flat told, "Well, federal loans will not cover your entire tuition cost, you know..."  It's a school for rockstar primadonnas with good portfolios, not hard working artists. They did the same shit when we had a Tent City under the 195 overpass a few years ago prior to the I-Way taking it down. They got nice expensive Coleman tents and moved in over there as an "living art project".

Emulating poverty and struggle in society is not art. It's an insult.

Out of the majority of the students I have encountered who current go there or have within the past couple of years, I've met TWO that were genuine, hardworking students who were hellbent on getting into their fields.

And I can guarantee I'll be first in line when it comes to lobbying for student loan reform. Please.

Cramulus

That's a pretty broad brush - the kids I know who went to RISD got shitty jobs in graphic design and are still struggling to pay their loans. And who cares if they're from a rich background? This thing isn't just for destitute unemployed people.

I haven't seen anything about the RISD art installations, but generally speaking, I strongly support art which tries to communicate what's going on with this movement. If you want to change things, and that's your skill set, this is really the optimal position to be standing. Most art students only make art for other people at their university, it's like screaming into an echo chamber. At least now they're sending their signal from the heart of what's going on, right where everybody's looking. :shrug:

Suu

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this movement took off the way that it did, but I'll be even more impressed if they manage to survive the winter, which, if last night's weather was any indication, is going to be really fucking bad this year.

I just don't agree with some of their tactics. The drums and public disturbance has got to go. Waking people up at 2am to "get your message across" and to "draw attention to yourselves" is the wrong idea, and, speaking as someone who has worked for both television and print media, bad press is bad press. If you're goal is to get press coverage, do so in a way to make the public support you, not go, "Ew, those smelly hippies are pissing in the streets and playing drums all night."

Jenne

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on October 28, 2011, 06:40:40 PM
I don't think there's any such thing as an awesome hand drummer.

:lmnuendo:

but sad one...

rong

Does anyone know if Santa has been sighted at any of the occupy wall street goings on?  I know this is probably his busy time of year, but I bet he has a lot of interest in this movement.  I heard some talk of layoffs at the north pole
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: rong on October 28, 2011, 11:57:04 PM
Does anyone know if Santa has been sighted at any of the occupy wall street goings on?  I know this is probably his busy time of year, but I bet he has a lot of interest in this movement.  I heard some talk of layoffs at the north pole

I'm guessing that Santacon will add a dimension to Occupy. Especially Pantsless Santa.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cramulus

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: yesssssssssssss I can't wait to see what signs santacon brings

also,

something I've been thinking about

if I could just continue that starry-eyed optimistic chord for a moment:

Even after this thing ends, there will be a global brotherhood of occupiers.

&
If this protest lasts through the winter,
the campers will have become the
best of friends forever.