News:

PD.com: "a rather irritating form of hermetic terrorism".

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Overheard the other night at Occupy Portland, "The last thing that Jesus would do is redistribute wealth to the poor."
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Net on October 31, 2011, 06:46:12 PM
Overheard the other night at Occupy Portland, "The last thing that Jesus would do is redistribute wealth to the poor."

Fucking hell.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Nope, he wouldn't... of course, he would chase the Bankers, Preachers, Fox News Anchors and Senators down with a whip... at least those that keep claiming that they act like him.

Jesus actually told people to give their money to the poor:

Quote"If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

"When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth. Jesus looked at him and said, "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of God! Indeed, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Wizard Joseph

WWJD?

Put on a show and make big promises, then not call back for like 2000 years.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Nigel on October 31, 2011, 06:47:28 PM

Fucking hell.

Sarcasm, of course.

I laughed my ass off.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

the last yatto

A pilgrimage might be rather fun way to visit portland enmass...
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

BadBeast

Quote from: Brian Fnord on October 31, 2011, 06:25:19 PM
Can't it be both :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_anarchism

:lulz:
Now that's exactly the right answer! It not only could be both, it should be both. And a whole bunch of other crazy shit too!

Like this!

and this

this too,

Crazier the better!

:hitlerbanjo:

Gettin' a bit carried away. Scratch Bono. He's far too 'Christly'.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Rococo Modem Basilisk

It looks like the occupation is more or less continuing. Now, had they not released a list of demands, the combination of that and just squatting in tents and protesting for several months (through the winter, preferably, in those places that have winters) would be both impressive and fairly original by protest standards.

I read a Rushkoff article wherein he compares it to a long-term TAZ. At the very least, most of these are turning into minimally sustaintable microcommunities in the middle of urban areas, with their own governments and public utilities. If they end up being more than minimally sustainable, grow some sort of economy of their own, get public utilities better than portopotties and boxes of donated books, and last for a few years we could call them urban communes and have anthropologists study them.

Occupy New Haven (a bit of a latecomer) is still going strong and the tent city is populated last I checked, despite the 25F temperature and the snow. And, hell, a good portion of their signs are about chemtrails. So, maybe the other occupy movements have a chance to last through the winter.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

When did they release a list of demands?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

The protests at Greenham Common Airbase went on for Years. The site became a functioning TAZ the magnitude of which we've not seen here since we were a Nation of little Saxon Kingdoms.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Given the international copycat protests, I could see a kind of franchise microculture popping up if we can keep it going long enough. That alone is a good reason to support this.

I wasn't aware of the Greenham Commons Airbase protests. The only thing  was able to compare this to is Christiania.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

BadBeast

I have it on fairly good authority that there were never any Nuclear weapons at Greenham at all.  Just Cruise Missiles with conventional warheads. But the Authorities tolerated the Protesters to add gravitas to the implied threat of a Nuclear strike to keep the Soviets on their toes. And while they focused on Britain, the Americans were flying over Soviet Airspace on a daily basis with impunity in their U2's. Which really did have nuclear capability.
The Occupy thing could be a similar false flag operation. So while everyone's eyes are on the Financial centres of the World, there will be some horrendous Military Operation just coming up to the boil.
In Yemen perhaps, or Somalia, or the Sudan. China are too quiet for my liking. They have big mineral interests in Africa. How would they react to an American/UN aggressor threatening the stability of their African investments? How could that be met by the US, other than by making concessions? Would those concessions mean more stability in the Worlds Markets? Or War between two Superpowers?  #

All that's pretty much out of our hands, so I'm all for burning (In a purely metaphorical way) the Financial Pirate's Institutions to the ground, while we are still not under armed curfew. Passive resistance where appropriate. Fighting them back where there is no other option available. At least we may be able to take back the Streets. Loosen the manically tightening stranglehold that the Oligarch's 'peacekeepers' seem too ready to enforce. Someone has to say actually say "No", and stick to their guns no matter what their respective State throws at them. Like the little Chinese fella in Tiannamon Square. OK, those Tanks rolled over them anyway, but it was a powerful image that helped to bring China into the same Century as the rest of us.
We can no longer allow our leaders to lie, cheat and collude with Corporate interests. No longer let them rob, tax and legislate all our freedoms away, or embroil us in Wars that profit only their Corporate Oligarch Masters. THEY ARE ALL LIARS.. We know this. Yet still we allow them their privileges, their immunity to any serious prosecution. Their control of the money markets. The Judiciary. And the Media.

Grease that butthole up good and slippery now, they're coming back for another go, and this time, they will not be so cautious.

Cain

Oakland and NYC protests have undercover police joining in the protests.

I am shocked.  Really.

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Brian Fnord on October 31, 2011, 06:25:19 PM
Can't it be both :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_anarchism

:lulz:

Actually reading the Bible now. Just read where 'in those days Israel had no king, and people did as they thought was best.'
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.