News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Alan Moore recommends alternative currencies as a means of fixing the Gini coefficient. When I suggest this, people call me crazy (or at least deluded). When Alan Moore suggests this, Metzger puts it on the front page. Maybe it's because he thinks everyone knows Alan Moore is crazy or deluded  :D

To be fair, he doesn't suggest a particular alternative currency, while I suggest soda can pull-tabs. That might be part of it.

Economics is always strange. You're not talking about anything that's actually real. Researching a chapter for Jerusalem, I read a couple of books on economics to see if I could get my head around the facts of the situation. I was astonished when I found out the value of derivative bonds, in 2008. These are bonds that have a value in themselves that were once connected to a real thing, there might have been a bond made for the sale of a herd of sheep, but that can be sold on and they gain in value. The notional value of the world's derivative bonds was in the region of sixty trillion. Exactly ten times the economic output of the entire planet, which is around six trillion. That means that the gap between what economists and what the world's economic forces and the banks thought they had to play with and what actually existed was fifty-four trillion. That would seem to me the depth of the hole we are in.

So something has to be done about that. I would suggest beheading the bankers, but while it would be very satisfying and would cheer us up, it probably wouldn't do anything practical to alter the situation. Behead the currency. Change the currency, why not? It would disempower all the people who had bought into that currency but it would pretty much empower the rest of us, the other ninety-nine percent.
Clap harder!
     \

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

trix

Aha!  Time to invest in teh Bitcoin!
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Quote from: Cain
Gender is a social construct.  As society, we get to choose your gender.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

There is a not-at-all insignificant difference between "alternative currencies" and "changing the currency", though. By not-insignificant, I mean that they are actually completely different things.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Template

Quote from: Nigel on December 04, 2011, 10:52:49 PM
There is a not-at-all insignificant difference between "alternative currencies" and "changing the currency", though. By not-insignificant, I mean that they are actually completely different things.

This; imagine the difference between "We also accept Flax Shequels!" and "Dollars?  I guess I could accept dollars.  Let me get a quote on Flax Shequels for Dollars..."

trix

Anonymous posts video about a bill that sounds bad.  Then starts quoting V for Vendetta, which I've been waiting for since I first saw them use the Guy Fawkes mask.

In a stunning move that has civil libertarians stuttering with disbelief, the U.S. Senate has just passed a bill that effectively ends the Bill of Rights in America.

The National Defense Authorization Act is being called the most traitorous act ever witnessed in the Senate, and the language of the bill is cleverly designed to make you think it doesn't apply to Americans, but toward the end of the bill, it essentially says it can apply to Americans "if we want it to.

Bill Summary & Status, 112th Congress (2011 -- 2012) | S.1867 | Latest Title: National Defense Authorization Act for.

This bill, passed late last night in a 93-7 vote, declares the entire USA to be a "battleground" upon which U.S. military forces can operate with impunity, overriding Posse Comitatus and granting the military the unchecked power to arrest, detain, interrogate and even assassinate U.S. citizens with impunity.

Even WIRED magazine was outraged at this bill, reporting:

Senate Wants the Military to Lock You Up Without Trial

...the detention mandate to use indefinite military detention in terrorism cases isn't limited to foreigners. It's confusing, because two different sections of the bill seem to contradict each other, but in the judgment of the University of Texas' Robert Chesney — a nonpartisan authority on military detention — "U.S. citizens are included in the grant of detention authority."

The passage of this law is nothing less than an outright declaration of WAR against the American People by the military-connected power elite. If this is signed into law, it will shred the remaining tenants of the Bill of Rights and unleash upon America a total military dictatorship, complete with secret arrests, secret prisons, unlawful interrogations, indefinite detainment without ever being charged with a crime, the torture of Americans and even the "legitimate assassination" of U.S. citizens right here on American soil!

If you have not yet woken up to the reality of the police state we've been warning you about, I hope you realize we are fast running out of time. Once this becomes law, you have no rights whatsoever in America. — no due process, no First Amendment speech rights, no right to remain silent, nothing.

Hmph.  The bill sounds terrible, but given the source, I'll have to look it over before making any real judgements.  As for Anonymous, is it just me, or do they seem to have an agenda similar to Micheal Moore?  As in, attention-whoring.
There's good news tonight.  And bad news.  First, the bad news: there is no good news.  Now, the good news: you don't have to listen to the bad news.
Zen Without Zen Masters

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: trix on December 07, 2011, 03:09:32 AM
Anonymous posts video about a bill that sounds bad.  Then starts quoting V for Vendetta, which I've been waiting for since I first saw them use the Guy Fawkes mask.

In a stunning move that has civil libertarians stuttering with disbelief, the U.S. Senate has just passed a bill that effectively ends the Bill of Rights in America.

The National Defense Authorization Act is being called the most traitorous act ever witnessed in the Senate, and the language of the bill is cleverly designed to make you think it doesn't apply to Americans, but toward the end of the bill, it essentially says it can apply to Americans "if we want it to.

Bill Summary & Status, 112th Congress (2011 -- 2012) | S.1867 | Latest Title: National Defense Authorization Act for.

This bill, passed late last night in a 93-7 vote, declares the entire USA to be a "battleground" upon which U.S. military forces can operate with impunity, overriding Posse Comitatus and granting the military the unchecked power to arrest, detain, interrogate and even assassinate U.S. citizens with impunity.

Even WIRED magazine was outraged at this bill, reporting:

Senate Wants the Military to Lock You Up Without Trial

...the detention mandate to use indefinite military detention in terrorism cases isn't limited to foreigners. It's confusing, because two different sections of the bill seem to contradict each other, but in the judgment of the University of Texas' Robert Chesney — a nonpartisan authority on military detention — "U.S. citizens are included in the grant of detention authority."

The passage of this law is nothing less than an outright declaration of WAR against the American People by the military-connected power elite. If this is signed into law, it will shred the remaining tenants of the Bill of Rights and unleash upon America a total military dictatorship, complete with secret arrests, secret prisons, unlawful interrogations, indefinite detainment without ever being charged with a crime, the torture of Americans and even the "legitimate assassination" of U.S. citizens right here on American soil!

If you have not yet woken up to the reality of the police state we've been warning you about, I hope you realize we are fast running out of time. Once this becomes law, you have no rights whatsoever in America. — no due process, no First Amendment speech rights, no right to remain silent, nothing.

Hmph.  The bill sounds terrible, but given the source, I'll have to look it over before making any real judgements.  As for Anonymous, is it just me, or do they seem to have an agenda similar to Micheal Moore?  As in, attention-whoring.

No, that bill is exactly as advertised.

Which ought to make you happy.  After all, Michael Moore wouldn't approve of bills that allow military sweeps of Americans, followed by indefinite detention.  And we HATE Michael Moore.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Anonymous posts video about a bill that sounds bad.  Then starts quoting V for Vendetta, which I've been waiting for since I first saw them use the Guy Fawkes mask.

[snip]

Hmph.  The bill sounds terrible, but given the source, I'll have to look it over before making any real judgements.  As for Anonymous, is it just me, or do they seem to have an agenda similar to Micheal Moore?  As in, attention-whoring.

Oh look, someone already created a thread for it.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

trix

Quote from: Net on December 07, 2011, 04:19:50 AM
Anonymous posts video about a bill that sounds bad.  Then starts quoting V for Vendetta, which I've been waiting for since I first saw them use the Guy Fawkes mask.

[snip]

Hmph.  The bill sounds terrible, but given the source, I'll have to look it over before making any real judgements.  As for Anonymous, is it just me, or do they seem to have an agenda similar to Micheal Moore?  As in, attention-whoring.

Oh look, someone already created a thread for it.

Ah, sorry.  Should have expected that.
Zen Without Zen Masters

Rococo Modem Basilisk

In other news, Matheny reports that the police barricades used by police on his local protesters were repurposed to kettle the police (with the help of some stolen handcuffs). The police, quite confused, spent a few minutes trying to figure out what had happened, before calling for a truck to pick up the barricades and run away.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

trix

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 07, 2011, 03:15:18 AM
(snip)

Which ought to make you happy.  After all, Michael Moore wouldn't approve of bills that allow military sweeps of Americans, followed by indefinite detention.  And we HATE Michael Moore.

Missed this earlier.  Just curious, why ought it make ME happy, if YOU hate Michael Moore?  Or are you simply assuming I must hate him too, since I called him an attention whore?  Not a far stretch I suppose, given the amount of shit I've seen flung at him ITT, but nah.  He's opportunistic and vile, but I hold no hatred for him.  I meet plenty just like him every day.  Pity and humor would be more accurate, for me.
Zen Without Zen Masters

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: trix on December 08, 2011, 03:38:27 AM
(snip)

Missed this earlier.  Just curious, why ought it make ME happy, if YOU hate Michael Moore?  Or are you simply assuming I must hate him too, since I called him an attention whore?  Not a far stretch I suppose, given the amount of shit I've seen flung at him ITT, but nah.  He's opportunistic and vile, but I hold no hatred for him.  I meet plenty just like him every day.  Pity and humor would be more accurate, for me.

We, Trix, we.  You and I.  The two amigos.  We HATE Michael Moore, because he smells of fat guy underpance and squishy liberalness, and we all know REAL MEN aren't liberal.  You think John Wayne wouldn't have kicked Thomas Jefferson's hippie ass, given the chance?  Hell yeah, he would have, right before he went back to pounding on drunks and slapping women until they behaved.

So what kind of fucking sissy so-called "American" would have a problem with security sweeps and indefinite detention without trial?  A pack of pasty-faced Big Sur Goddamn hippie GIRLS, that's who.

But not you and I.  We're MANLY MEN.  And thus we support this assbaggery, and fart in public, just to make the pencil necks wince.

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cain

The Egyptians know how this game is played

https://twitter.com/#!/arabist/status/137973675361181696

QuoteJust heard felool on State TV say, "In the West they suppress protests, so why can't we do it here?" #OWS #tahrir

Incidentally, it is US arms that are helping suppress protestors in Egypt currently, expressely authorized by the US government for sale to the military there.  But remember, Obama supports the Arab Spring!

Cain

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 08, 2011, 03:43:42 AM
Quote from: trix on December 08, 2011, 03:38:27 AM
(snip)

We, Trix, we.  You and I.  The two amigos.  We HATE Michael Moore, because he smells of fat guy underpance and squishy liberalness, and we all know REAL MEN aren't liberal.  You think John Wayne wouldn't have kicked Thomas Jefferson's hippie ass, given the chance?  Hell yeah, he would have, right before he went back to pounding on drunks and slapping women until they behaved.

So what kind of fucking sissy so-called "American" would have a problem with security sweeps and indefinite detention without trial?  A pack of pasty-faced Big Sur Goddamn hippie GIRLS, that's who.

But not you and I.  We're MANLY MEN.  And thus we support this assbaggery, and fart in public, just to make the pencil necks wince.

I hate Michael Moore because he's never met a cause that is more important to him than constant self-promotion.  He's the Ben Mack of liberal protest movements....they actually had to throw him out of one General Assembly meeting in...Denver, IIRC, because he tried to take over the whole thing and appoint himself leader, without actually informing anyone that this was the case and getting their consent first.

Nephew Twiddleton

http://news.yahoo.com/fake-occupy-wall-street-tv-set-occupied-real-104023387.html

QuoteMeanwhile in real Occupy news, protesters in Boston — which may the longest, continually standing camp — and Phoenix faced possible eviction deadlines last night. The reports from Boston are that police decided not evict the protesters (despite warnings from the mayor about "further action"), though some Occupiers blocked the streets around Dewey Square, turning Atlantic Avenue into an impromptu "dance party."  It was a different story in Phoenix, however, as the tents there do appear to have been torn down by police and a handful of arrests have been made.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS