News:

TESTAMONIAL:  "I was still a bit rattled by the spectacular devastation."

Main Menu

Occupy

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, October 02, 2011, 03:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 22, 2012, 06:03:29 PM
How about "follow a banker/CEO/hedge fund manager home"?

Say, 200 people walk to the guy's house, and just stand on the sidewalk staring at the place?

:lulz:

That could work. And it would beat sleeping in a tent in AZ in the summer.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Say, 200 people walk to the guy's house, and just stand on the sidewalk staring at the place?

Hell yeah, but they have done this:

http://occupyourhomes.org/blog/2012/mar/15/m14-mn-march-on-us-bank/

I'd definitely like to see more of those sorts of protests.

I also think the camping can be worthwhile if it's done to make foreclosing on people's homes a massive hassle for the banks or results in a shutdown of a bank branch.

The media hasn't reported on the Occupy Your Homes project but as far as I can tell it is alive and kicking.

I'd recommend getting involved with your local Occupy and making suggestions for events you'd like to see happen. From the looks of Occupy Tuscon's events page, they could use your input. Even if you don't get consensus and whatnot as an Occupy supported event, there's usually a number of people that will join you if you put the word out.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Net on March 22, 2012, 09:05:39 PM

I also think the camping can be worthwhile if it's done to make foreclosing on people's homes a massive hassle for the banks or results in a shutdown of a bank branch.

The media hasn't reported on the Occupy Your Homes project but as far as I can tell it is alive and kicking.

I'd recommend getting involved with your local Occupy and making suggestions for events you'd like to see happen. From the looks of Occupy Tuscon's events page, they could use your input. Even if you don't get consensus and whatnot as an Occupy supported event, there's usually a number of people that will join you if you put the word out.

Occupy Tucson is as dead as yesterday's fish sammich.  It's basically become a hippie commune that celebrates poor personal hygiene and doing "bath salts".
Molon Lube

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 22, 2012, 10:06:27 PM

Occupy Tucson is as dead as yesterday's fish sammich.  It's basically become a hippie commune that celebrates poor personal hygiene and doing "bath salts".

Christ. We have that element, but also many normal people to balance things out.

You're sure a little rage and SCIENCE! couldn't rouse them to action?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Net on March 22, 2012, 10:28:36 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 22, 2012, 10:06:27 PM

Christ. We have that element, but also many normal people to balance things out.

You're sure a little rage and SCIENCE! couldn't rouse them to action?

Not until summer.  The vets are mostly university students now, and while they WANT to get involved, they really can't.  Also, they won't be going back to Occupy, so we'll have to figure something else out.

My takeway is that the 24/7 occupation was a huge mistake.  Business hours would have done just fine.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Having to retake the space every day would have been more difficult than just trying to hold it. I dunno what's next, but I hope it involves more of the awesome people and less of the self-important professional protesters putting their own causes ahead of the group's.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 23, 2012, 04:06:18 PM
Having to retake the space every day would have been more difficult than just trying to hold it.

Retaking it every day would have been more recognizable as an implied threat.

Annnnnnnnnnnd then the revolution was cancelled on account of sloth.
Molon Lube

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 23, 2012, 06:28:35 PM

It was on account of "whiny bitches" up here...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 24, 2012, 08:00:21 PM

:?

My point was:

1.  Occupying each day:  Pain in the ass, but disruptive as hell...AND menacing without being illegal, versus

2.  Having the movement eventually morph into a filthy Hooverville full of drones.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 25, 2012, 07:03:18 AM
Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on March 24, 2012, 08:00:21 PM

:?

My point was:

1.  Occupying each day:  Pain in the ass, but disruptive as hell...AND menacing without being illegal, versus

2.  Having the movement eventually morph into a filthy Hooverville full of drones.

This is a very good point.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Don Coyote

Those I think I need to put up on some of the banks around Tacoma.

minuspace

We need more professional cultural provocateurs  :lulz:

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: LuciferX on April 04, 2012, 06:53:29 PM

We need more professional cultural provocateurs  :lulz:

Is that...JEBUS?  :lulz:
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Doktor Howl

That explains why he hasn't returned, anyway.

And, BOY, are the Christian conservatives gonna be PISSED!
Molon Lube