News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Steve Jobs is dead! A sad day for hipster douchebags everywhere!

Started by Prelate Diogenes Shandor, October 06, 2011, 03:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingyak

Quote from: Nigel on October 07, 2011, 09:49:19 PM
Quote from: kingyak on October 07, 2011, 09:27:04 PM
If you click the links in the article above, you'll see that many of them are criticisms of Jobs/Apple written by the author of the piece (Ryan Tate) when Jobs was very much alive. That seems to eliminate the "fair weather ass-kisser" and "coward" arguments for why the article should not have been written.

And obviously, right after his death is the most relevant time to trot it out, because the author might be able to leech a bit of media attention.

I'd say that right after his death is the most relevant time because it counterbalances all the hero worship going on and because, let's face it, the American attention span is so short that waiting until after the next shiny news bit grabs our attention will just guarantee that it won't get read.

So, assuming that Tate's article is just as inappropriate as the OP's grave dancing, I've got to ask: How long does the the immunity from criticism that death brings last? How long should reporters have waited after Osama Bin Laden's murder to point out that he might have had something to do with a couple of buildings getting blown up? How long after Charlie Sheen ODs do I have to wait before I can stop talking about how good he was in Platoon and mention he was also a wife-beater? Can I mention that Pat Robertson was a racist, homophobic asshole 2 weeks after his death, or do I have to wait until the 4th Friday in May?
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."-HST

Nephew Twiddleton

Reporters commented on bin ladens involvement negstive ten years after his death. That analogy doesnt really fit.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Also theres a difference between criticising a deadmans actions and saying im glad hes dead.

kingyak

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 07, 2011, 10:53:51 PM
Reporters commented on bin ladens involvement negstive ten years after his death. That analogy doesnt really fit.

And the reporter who wrote the article criticizing Jobs had commented on his shortcomings prior to his death.

kingyak

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 07, 2011, 10:56:04 PM
Also theres a difference between criticising a deadmans actions and saying im glad hes dead.

My point exactly.

Nephew Twiddleton

You asked how long after. Thats why i responded how i did.

kingyak

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 07, 2011, 11:11:34 PM
You asked how long after. Thats why i responded how i did.

I was specifically referring to the Gawker article I linked to earlier. I'm in total agreement that the OP is a dick.

Nephew Twiddleton

Ah. Pd doesnt show up very well on my phone and i cant click links nor see pics/avatars/post times. Lively threads are hard to follow sometimes. (i also cant quote)

kingyak

Quote from: Nph. Twid. on October 07, 2011, 11:17:01 PM
Ah. Pd doesnt show up very well on my phone and i cant click links nor see pics/avatars/post times. Lively threads are hard to follow sometimes. (i also cant quote)

I hope you're not using an iPhone. If so, I take offense at your disrespect for the dead.

Placid Dingo

I am.

For all Android can do, it doesn't seem they can cope with Japanese characters.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: kingyak on October 07, 2011, 10:43:10 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 07, 2011, 09:49:19 PM
Quote from: kingyak on October 07, 2011, 09:27:04 PM
If you click the links in the article above, you'll see that many of them are criticisms of Jobs/Apple written by the author of the piece (Ryan Tate) when Jobs was very much alive. That seems to eliminate the "fair weather ass-kisser" and "coward" arguments for why the article should not have been written.

And obviously, right after his death is the most relevant time to trot it out, because the author might be able to leech a bit of media attention.

I'd say that right after his death is the most relevant time because it counterbalances all the hero worship going on and because, let's face it, the American attention span is so short that waiting until after the next shiny news bit grabs our attention will just guarantee that it won't get read.

So, assuming that Tate's article is just as inappropriate as the OP's grave dancing, I've got to ask: How long does the the immunity from criticism that death brings last? How long should reporters have waited after Osama Bin Laden's murder to point out that he might have had something to do with a couple of buildings getting blown up? How long after Charlie Sheen ODs do I have to wait before I can stop talking about how good he was in Platoon and mention he was also a wife-beater? Can I mention that Pat Robertson was a racist, homophobic asshole 2 weeks after his death, or do I have to wait until the 4th Friday in May?

Apples to oranges, dude, and critique of Apple's business policies isn't going to suddenly become irrelevant.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

BadBeast

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2011, 09:29:12 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 07, 2011, 09:25:46 PM
I've always thought the whole "platform wars" thing was the most retarded of all monkey-territory to get all "ook ook" about. I've used DOS, Linux, Mac, Amiga, and Windows, and seriously, who the fuck gives a rabid half-shit. There's actual bad stuff happening in the world, most of which are inhuman atrocities people are doing to other people over things just as mind-bogglingly irrelevant as who wrote their software.

I still like to razz Linux users, though.   :)
They'll have an app for that soon.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

kingyak

Where are the oranges? I just see the apples.

Didn't mean to imply that Apple's business policies would be irrelevant in a few weeks. Just that if the author's interest is in making people aware of the negative aspects of Apple's business policies, it makes sense to do it when everyone's talking about Jobs. The hagiographic articles about Jobs are just as much about generating traffic as the Tate article. In fact, IMO most of them are using Jobs' death in an even more cynical manner since they have no agenda beyond cashing in on the current Thing People Are Paying Attention To.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on October 07, 2011, 09:25:46 PM
I've always thought the whole "platform wars" thing was the most retarded of all monkey-territory to get all "ook ook" about. I've used DOS, Linux, Mac, Amiga, and Windows, and seriously, who the fuck gives a rabid half-shit. There's actual bad stuff happening in the world, most of which are inhuman atrocities people are doing to other people over things just as mind-bogglingly irrelevant as who wrote their software.

But Nigel, the next Ubuntu Linux version is going to be named "Pangolin".

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."