News:

PD.Com: Pretention in a can.

Main Menu

Law of Unintended Consequences

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, October 12, 2011, 07:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

"....you are under arrest for the repeated muggings and theft of millions of Americans. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law...."

The CEO zoned out as he read the arrest order.

What the fuck happened?

Everything had been going right, and we were consolidating our power even further. The plutonomy was this close to being unassailable.

We had done everything right. We owned politicians, controlled the wealth, the means of production, got laws passed, propped up bullshit political movements and got people to buy into them, achieved corporate personhood....

We should have thought about all of the angles here. We shot ourselves in the foot. The law of unintended consequences. We should be more cautious in the future. There will always be some smart ass to find some sort of loophole in our loopholes. Now let's see what we can do about that Supreme Court ruling that snagged this whole thing up.

The CEO poured himself some scotch and turned on the news.

"Dozens of corporations have been placed under arrest in a strange twist on the idea of corporate personhood. The corporations are facing a variety of charges and potential sentences including being unable to conduct any business for 10-20 years, one is facing a life sentence, and one private security firm is facing being stoned to demolition and disincorporation by the Afghan government. We're not exactly sure how many rocks it will take to bring down their headquarters, but the State Department is expected to try and get the sentence reduced to monetary reparations."
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I wish.

A big problem with corporate personhood is that for some reason, it doesn't extend to accountability for crimes committed by the corporation.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on October 12, 2011, 07:13:10 PM
I wish.

A big problem with corporate personhood is that for some reason, it doesn't extend to accountability for crimes committed by the corporation.

Yep.  They get to have it both ways.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 12, 2011, 07:14:28 PM
Quote from: Nigel on October 12, 2011, 07:13:10 PM
I wish.

Yep.  They get to have it both ways.

Fun idea though. Could be pushed maybe but it would take sometime. It's got me formulating the idea to write letters to the congressthings to consider that angle.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Precious Moments Zalgo

Arthur Andersen, LLP was convicted of felony obstruction of justice in the Enron thing.  As a convicted felon, the LLP was no longer allowed to audit public companies.

LLP's don't even have personhood, either, just the limited liability part.  So if a LLP can be convicted of a crime, I would expect a corporate person could also be.

Just googled, found a few examples of some corporations being charged with crimes, mostly small companies. 

So it can and does happen, it's just very rare.  Especially for well connected companies.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Precious Moments Zalgo

Found something here that says that corporations are criminally liable for crimes committed by their employees within the course and scope of their employment.  Officers and directors are personally liable for their own crimes, and may also be liable for the actions of any employees they supervise.
I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

Reginald Ret

Despite the presence of the CEO and the entire board of directors, the defendant was still charged with failure to appear and convicted in absence. With charges this serious mere representatives will not be sufficient. There is now a warrant out for his arrest and all assets have been frozen.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"