News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

The tribesman who friended me on Facebook

Started by Triple Zero, October 15, 2011, 10:39:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

A delightful story:

http://life.salon.com/2011/10/13/the_tribesman_who_facebook_friended_me/singleton/

Yes it's a littlebit heavy on the "noble savage" meme, but that doesn't necessarily need to ruin an otherwise awesome thing.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Payne

Quote from: Triple Zero on October 15, 2011, 10:39:34 AM
A delightful story:

http://life.salon.com/2011/10/13/the_tribesman_who_facebook_friended_me/singleton/

Yes it's a littlebit heavy on the "noble savage" meme, but that doesn't necessarily need to ruin an otherwise awesome thing.

That was cool, I think I remember hearing that show advertised somewhere but never watched it.

Not sure that it overdoes a "Noble Savage" slant in the article though, more a "These guys know what they want and aren't afraid to say so".

This, plus the video of the baby with the iPad, should be a reminder to us all that fundamentally as humans there is actually very little difference between us in terms of intelligence or development, and that whatever we think of as "deeply dividing" between any two groups of hairless apes is usually merely a convention.

Also I heard a bit about Tok Pissin in a series of lectures on Language a while back, it is in itself a fascinating insight into what language is and how it develops, in this case from a Pidgin, through a Creole and is seemingly on track to becoming a full language in its own right (or would do if it wasn't now going to be continually bombarded by numerous outside influences at all levels of the society that is speaking it...)

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."