News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Immortality now in alpha testing.

Started by Prince Glittersnatch III, November 04, 2011, 05:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince Glittersnatch III

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-11/ind-ets110311.php

QuoteInserm's AVENIR "Genomic plasticity and aging" team, directed by Jean-Marc Lemaitre, Inserm researcher at the Functional Genomics Institute (Inserm/CNRS/Université de Montpellier 1 and 2), has recently succeeded in rejuvenating cells from elderly donors (aged over 100). These old cells were reprogrammed in vitro to induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSC) and to rejuvenated and human embryonic stem cells (hESC): cells of all types can again be differentiated after this genuine "rejuvenation" therapy. The results represent significant progress for research into iPSC cells and a further step forwards for regenerative medicine.

The results are published in the Genes & Development Journal dated 1 November 2011.

Human embryonic stem cells (hESC) are undifferentiated multiple-function cells. They can divide and form all types of differentiated adult cells in the body (neurones, cardiac cells, skin cells, liver cells, etc...)

Since 2007, a handful of research teams across the world have been capable of reprogramming human adult cells into induced pluripotent cells (iPSC), which have similar characteristics and potential to human embryonic stem cells (hESC). This kind of reprogramming makes it possible to reform all human cell types without the ethical restrictions related to using embryonic stem cells.

Until now, research results demonstrated that senescence (the final stage of cellular aging) was an obstacle blocking the use of this technique for therapeutic applications in elderly patients.

Today, Inserm researcher Jean-Marc Lemaitre and his team have overcome this obstacle. The researchers have successfully rejuvenated cells from elderly donors, some over 100 years old, thus demonstrating the reversibility of the cellular aging process.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

Dear gods,

I can do this shit for real on Earth with a proper body. Gimme superpowers and I will gladly sell my soul, since, well, can't die, so don't really need it for the future..

Thank you,

Future Corporeal God,
The Dread Twidster
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cain

But then, they can't stop rejuvenating.

And so, while we will have immortal youth, we will also all have cancer.

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cain on November 04, 2011, 09:38:40 AM

Which would make us all into Deadpool.

I'm not really seeing a downside, here.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cramulus

On the plus side, when the mega rich are immortal and we aren't, they'll be throwing money at cancer research!

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Cramulus on November 04, 2011, 02:30:43 PM
On the plus side, when the mega rich are immortal and we aren't, they'll be throwing money at cancer research!

I had that thought about the megarich, but I thought I'd posted enough doom and gloom lately :lol:

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Cain on November 04, 2011, 09:38:40 AM

No one said there werent bugs to be worked out.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Kai

I see a fundamental problem here.

They can induce pluripotent stem cells all they want, but the DNA in the cells? Exactly the same. Telomere length? Same. Mitochondrial integrity? Same.

The real problem with aging is the accrued changes to the somatic and mitochondrial genome.

Now, is this work cool in reference to neurodegenerative disorders? YES. But if we're going to immortalize people, we need a better DNA repair and protection mechanism.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Freeky

Kai brings up an excellent point, as does whoever first pointed out cancer.

Also, we can invent new and even more gruesome ways of killing and dying in stupid, meaningless, petty, and above all creatively gruesome ways!  It's a win-win situation!