News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Why Is China Building These Gigantic Structures In the Middle of the Desert?

Started by Triple Zero, November 13, 2011, 11:08:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

Those patterns are not designed "to be seen from orbit",
The rectangular ones at least have been etched, from orbit.  :sad:
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Wizard Joseph

Some of the other images really do look like a targeting grid of some sort as suggested in the articles.  Looking closely at the google maps of the image shown here has me even more weirded out.  It does not look like they bothered to level the terrain in any way before they placed.. whatever this is.

The lines are also strangely uniform in some places and seem to have degraded in others.  Maybe we're looking at the results of a test and not an apparatus here.  The comments mention a similarity to the layout of some streets in D.C., but looking at it I'm certain that it's not similar enough at all to be significant. 

Neat find Trip!  8)
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."
- Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality :lulz:

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

"It's not even chaos anymore. It's BANAL."
- Doktor Hamish Howl

Faust

Oh, and the more uniform looking one has a perfect square just west of it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.458148,93.393145&hl=en&ll=40.458018,93.392587&spn=0.0208,0.040426&sll=40.475028,90.849724&sspn=0.087881,0.161705&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=15

It's been cleared for something, a quarry perhaps?

I really don't like this, there are no roads leading up to the shapes.

The Wizard Joseph

I see what you mean Faust.

Not to get all  :tinfoilhat: but it looks like this may perhaps be a series of burn marks.  The source would have come straight down.  When I look at the topography it seems that the narrow spots are frequent around hills and rare on flatter areas.  How could they get enough energy to produce a burn like this from a satellite?  It would have to be generated from the ground and perhaps reflected from orbit.. but it's so precise.  I would think that energy entering that strongly from orbit would cause atmospheric disturbance.  All this is just guesses of course.

That cleared, perfect square to the east gives me the chills.  There are no visible buildings or structures, but it looks like there's a line of some sort irregularly traced through the middle.  It branches into smaller lines in some spots, but goes nowhere.  One of the branches ends in an irregular splotch like a pencil pushed around in a circle on paper.  Again speculation, but these could be tests of control and focus for a beam directed in real time.
You can't get out backward.  You have to go forward to go back.. better press on! - Willie Wonka, PBUH

Life can be seen as a game with no reset button, no extra lives, and if the power goes out there is no restarting.  If that's all you see life as you are not long for this world, and never will get it.

"Ayn Rand never swung a hammer in her life and had serious dominance issues" - The Fountainhead

"World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimisation."

"You program the controller to do the thing, only it doesn't do the thing.  It does something else entirely, or nothing at all.  It's like voting."
- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

The Wizard Joseph

I take back the "No buildings" bit.  North of the square there appear to be structures in full zoom.  4 of them, clearly man made. and a few further north all with north/south orientation.  No sign of where the material from the square might have gone though.  There are no piles of gravel and no rail stations I can see.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Don Coyote

Look east. More stuff cut into the desert. And what appears to be several highly reflective objects.

The Wizard Joseph

Those appear to be airstrips to the east.. that's the configuration for them anyway, but THEY'RE HUGE.  The one to the east looks blue and reflective.  I have never seen anything like this outside of Nazca line scale weirdness.  I also zoomed out all the way and it would seem that the whole project is in a VERY secure place strategically.  Middle of China with no worries unless Russia stepped in.. and that's not likely. That is if when China were manages to control the Pacific theater.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Precious Moments Zalgo

I will answer ANY prayer for $39.95.*

*Unfortunately, I cannot give refunds in the event that the answer is no.

The Wizard Joseph

Quote from: Precious Moments Zalgo on November 14, 2011, 02:35:52 AM
Check out this huge shiny blue thing, maybe 200 miles west of the square thing.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.458148,93.393145&hl=en&ll=40.43153,90.817108&spn=0.173001,0.363579&sll=40.475028,90.849724&sspn=0.087881,0.161705&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=12

The thing must be 5 miles wide and 10 miles long.  At least it has a road going by it.

I could be mistaken, but I think that's an agricultural or industrial center of some sort.

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Juana

Do you really think that if it was anything significant, t would be on Google maps? Given how much Google has worked with China in the past, I doubt it's anything serious, tbh.

Cool though.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Cain

Here's something no-one has considered: it's an anti-desertification project.  China's pumping millions into Gansu province for exactly that purpose.  Plots for growing plants, irrigation channels...

Second possibility: archeological excavations.  Duhuang is part of the historical Northern Silk Road, some of the temples and ruins along that route are simply amazing.  Plus, Gansu province is looking to expand its tourism industry, and that historical factor is one of its main attractions.

Faust

If it was excavations I would have expected more protective stuff around but that would account for the grid structure.
You're probably right with the antidesertification, there are large manmade bodies of water in that region.

But that is nowhere near as cool as a satellite laser

The Wizard Joseph

- Billy, Aug 21st, 2019

- Doktor Hamish Howl

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Faust on November 14, 2011, 12:04:39 AM
Oh, and the more uniform looking one has a perfect square just west of it.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.458148,93.393145&hl=en&ll=40.458018,93.392587&spn=0.0208,0.040426&sll=40.475028,90.849724&sspn=0.087881,0.161705&vpsrc=6&t=h&z=15

It's been cleared for something, a quarry perhaps?

I really don't like this, there are no roads leading up to the shapes.

One interesting thing that I noticed when I zoomed out a bit on this one is that the square is about a kilometer for each line, the long bits of the rectangle are about a mile.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS