News:

For my part, I've replaced optimism and believing the best of people by default with a grin and the absolute 100% certainty that if they cannot find a pig to fuck, they will buy some bacon and play oinking noises on YouTube.

Main Menu

Walking through doorways causes forgetting, research shows

Started by Triple Zero, November 21, 2011, 01:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

no, the intent of my doorway thing was simply to make fun of using rituals while walking through doors in order to overcome a small kink in our wiring.
perhaps a better way to do it is simply to remain aware of the effect, and counter with sheer force of metacognition.  i guess you could think of it as some psionic superpower, if it has to be made oddly elaborate to satisfy, though.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2011, 04:20:57 PM
Way down the street there's a light in his place
He opens the door
He's got that look on his face
             /

I will forever associate you with that song from now on.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 23, 2011, 03:22:55 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on November 23, 2011, 03:21:12 PM
unrelated:
Roger, every time you see a discontinuity in a post and reply 'wat', it makes me think of something like

which is odd, but somehow pleasing.

Oddly enough, the same image was in MY head, except it had Nigel and LMNO with big fucking chainsaws, chasing Buddhists around while singing Gerry Rafferty songs.

:lulz: Your head is a seriously strange and epic place.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on November 23, 2011, 07:16:39 PM
unrelated:
Roger, every time you see a discontinuity in a post and reply 'wat', it makes me think of something like

Oddly enough, the same image was in MY head, except it had Nigel and LMNO with big fucking chainsaws, chasing Buddhists around while singing Gerry Rafferty songs.

It's like having Mr Six live in your cranium, dancing his manic dance on the inside of your eyelids.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Flush Gorgon in the 21st Century on November 23, 2011, 05:35:22 PM
Since the doorway thing is a trained response, presumably it wouldn't have the same effect if you walked through the doorway backwards -- you'd be able to impose an entirely different meaning on doing that (which may be why it's part of some funerary rites). Cram's molasses doorway thing on the other hand is an amplified form of the normal doorway response (in addition to taking more time, which probably helps with the short term memory thing if I'm understanding the intent correctly).

Anyone feel like memorizing sequences of numbers and then walking backwards through doors?

hsva wha?  :lulz:

Also, this for unknown reasons reminded me of being a special order clerk at Borders Books, memorizing ISBNs and running to the stock room to try to find books. There were three doors between my office and the stock room. Ten numbers. Three doors. I suspect the job requires a certain level of autism.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 23, 2011, 07:19:23 PM
Quote from: Nigel on November 23, 2011, 07:16:39 PM
unrelated:

It's like having Mr Six live in your cranium, dancing his manic dance on the inside of your eyelids.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :lulz: :horrormirth:

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 23, 2011, 05:58:38 PM
He opens the door
             /

I dare you to guess where that sax solo is coming from.

I DARE YOU.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 23, 2011, 08:59:36 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 23, 2011, 05:58:38 PM
He opens the door
             /

I dare you to guess where that sax solo is coming from.

I DARE YOU.

"Vegetarian Lunch Special"?