News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

No wonder young girls don't get into science.

Started by Kai, November 27, 2011, 06:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I mean, just look at all this misogynistic pink BS they get fed.

http://www.wildscience.net/girls.html

"Beauty Salon"? "Lip Balm Lab"? "Magic Crystal Oasis"? "Perfume Designer"? Are there any stereotypes they DIDN'T manifest in this junk?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Salty

Wow.
From the Boy's Science Physics and Chem Kit:
QuoteExplore energy transmission, shock and momentum. A Big Force put into a tiny mass = huge acceleration. Make a wide variety of bouncy and drippy, clear and coloured gels and slimes for different effects.

From the Girl's Science Lip Palm Lab:
QuoteMix and match colour gradients and flavours for your own luxury balm compact!

Just wow.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah.

This is one of the many reasons why it pisses me off when people say there's no more need for feminism. We might be getting closer, but we're still a long long way away.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Suu

I don't see a girl wanting to make lip balm a bad thing, but I think that the kit should stress the reactions, molecular bonding, and all sorts of chemical reasons why it works. If it does, then I'm not seeing a problem, here. Same thing with making soap, there's an amazing chemical process behind it, and if the kit explores this, it's a good buy. But if it doesn't, then it's just giving little girls an excuse to play with yummy smelling goop, and that's the wrong direction.

...Then again, I'm a lip balm whore, and considering my dad's a chemist, I uh...I would have totally had that.  :oops:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Kai

Honestly, the "boy's" chemistry sets are awful too. For example, "Chemistry set boasts 'no chemicals'".

A chemistry set with no chemicals is NOT a chemistry set. Heaven forbid children experiment, make messes, break things or worst of all, do something mildly dangerous. Chemists are born from explosive reactions, not turning starch blue. Get someone hooked on science by BLOWING THINGS UP. Yes, it's dangerous. Science is often dangerous.

As ND Tyson said, "Get out of their way. Children are born as scientists. What does a scientist do? They say, how does this work? Let me take it apart, let me break it." But no, we can't have kids taking things apart or breaking things. That would give them IDEAS, and would be MESSY. They'd think it's alright to keep taking things apart and thinking and next thing you know they've disproved the existence of god and become a communist.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Kai

And girls DEFINITELY can't get real chemistry sets, because then they'd start questioning men, and arguing, and not staying in their god given, subservient place, and turning into lesbians, and practicing witchcraft, and getting abortions, and having orgies....

Freeky

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 27, 2011, 06:50:45 PM
And girls DEFINITELY can't get real chemistry sets, because then they'd start questioning men, and arguing, and not staying in their god given, subservient place, and turning into lesbians, and practicing witchcraft, and getting abortions, and having orgies....

It makes me wish i'd had a girl, just so I could get her a real chemistry set.

Kai

Quote from: Science me, babby on November 27, 2011, 06:55:04 PM

Why do you hate America?

\

:teabagger1:

Freeky

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 27, 2011, 06:57:17 PM
Quote from: Science me, babby on November 27, 2011, 06:55:04 PM

Why do you hate America?

\

:teabagger1:

Because I kiss terrorists on the beard.   :sad:

PopeTom

Quote from: Nigel on November 27, 2011, 06:37:38 PM
Yeah.

This is one of the many reasons why it pisses me off when people say there's no more need for feminism. We might be getting closer, but we're still a long long way away.

I honestly don't think modern feminism is pink enough to appeal to today's young women and girls.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

Lenin McCarthy

What. There are gender-specific science kits? :?

Nephew Twiddleton

Yep. Cuz girls are only into pretty things. Really its justa way into tricking them into learning something they would have no interest in. Cuz thinking only comes naturally to boys right?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The fact that the girls sets don't include ANY physics really pisses me off.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Exactly, and we can't have that!  :x

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: 'Kai' ZLB, M.S. on November 27, 2011, 06:48:16 PM
Honestly, the "boy's" chemistry sets are awful too. For example, "Chemistry set boasts 'no chemicals'".

A chemistry set with no chemicals is NOT a chemistry set. Heaven forbid children experiment, make messes, break things or worst of all, do something mildly dangerous. Chemists are born from explosive reactions, not turning starch blue. Get someone hooked on science by BLOWING THINGS UP. Yes, it's dangerous. Science is often dangerous.

As ND Tyson said, "Get out of their way. Children are born as scientists. What does a scientist do? They say, how does this work? Let me take it apart, let me break it." But no, we can't have kids taking things apart or breaking things. That would give them IDEAS, and would be MESSY. They'd think it's alright to keep taking things apart and thinking and next thing you know they've disproved the existence of god and become a communist.

WHAAAAAAAAT

Chemistry without chemicals?  :? Bitch please!