News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

ATTN: Actual Discordians RE: Hodge and Podge

Started by Pæs, December 27, 2011, 04:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pæs

Quote from: Page 58The PODGE of the Sacred Chao is symbolized as The Golden Apple of Discordia, which represents the Eristic Principle of Disorder.

Quote from: Page 58The Pentagon represents the Aneristic Principle of Order and symbolizes the HODGE.

Quote from: Page 56It is the HODGE-PODGE of the Erisians. And, instead of a Podge spot on the Hodge side, it has a PENTAGON which symbolizes the ANERISTIC PRINCIPLE, and instead of a Hodge spot on the Podge side, it depicts the GOLDEN APPLE OF DISCORDIA to symbolize the ERISTIC PRINCIPLE.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

"Instead of a Podge (Eristic) spot on the Hodge (Aneristic) side, it has a PENTAGON which symbolizes the ANERISTIC PRINCIPLE."

Is placing an Aneristic symbol on the Aneristic side and an Eristic symbol on the Eristic side supposed to be a meaningful subversion of the balance represented by the yin-yang's shade and light each containing the seed of the other? Is the point that Order and Disorder are in conflict, rather than having a harmonious and flowing relationship? Did those hippies forget which term they were using for which?

There are other Discordian sites/glossaries which have Hodge as Eristic and Podge as Aneristic. Are there explanations of or elaborations on these labels outside of the PEEDEE?

Iron Sulfide

Ya' stupid Yank.

Cain

QuoteIs placing an Aneristic symbol on the Aneristic side and an Eristic symbol on the Eristic side supposed to be a meaningful subversion of the balance represented by the yin-yang's shade and light each containing the seed of the other? Is the point that Order and Disorder are in conflict, rather than having a harmonious and flowing relationship?

I suspect this to be the case, as it sounds entirely in keeping with the rest of the book.

It could just be that Thornley and Hill did too much of the devil weed and forgot which was which, though.

Iron Sulfide

Aren't the Hodge and Podge sides the same, except for the apple and pentagon? I'm fairly sure that the first several Sacred Chaos I've seen are the same color/shade on both sides, even though a lot of the depictions are more like the Tao.
Ya' stupid Yank.

LMNO

If I were riffing, I'd say that by placing the Apple in the Podge and the Pentagon in the Hodge, they are labelling the two sides of the conflict (which is an illusion, anyway). 

They clearly say that the Apple represents the Podge, and the Pentagon represents the Hodge.  And instead of swapping bits of either for the other side, the two sides are represented in balance.  Remember, Discordia isn't Taoism -- they just stole a lot of the symbology.

Going further, if you didn't have the symbols clearly indicating which side is which, you'd never know what was being represented; all you'd have would be dichotomy.  So we also are able to show how we can only distinguish between order and disorder by LABELLING them as such; without the labels, we would only have swirling Chaos.

Chapter 44

Order or Disorder, which do you prefer?
Creation or Destruction, which do you choose?
Those who chase one are led to the other.
Those who embrace both
are free to choose which is more effective.
The only thing is, can you be sure
which is which?

AFK

Monday morning quarterbacking, it probably wasn't the best symbology they could come up with.  But then, I suppose this symbol wasn't meant to be a literal map of the territory.  If it was, then it would be a really bad symbol.  Because it would, inadvertently, reinforce the idea of compartmentalizing. 

Or maybe it's a test. 

Sneaky hippies!
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Inside every golden apple of disorder is the five sectioned pentagon of order.

I think the symbols were intentional, because 'order' and 'disorder' are simply the labels we apply to bits of chaos we perceive as patterned or without pattern. Within order is disorder and within disorder lies order. It all depends on what you can get away with....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Bebek Sincap Ratatosk on December 27, 2011, 06:21:39 PM
Inside every golden apple of disorder is the five sectioned pentagon of order.

I think the symbols were intentional, because 'order' and 'disorder' are simply the labels we apply to bits of chaos we perceive as patterned or without pattern. Within order is disorder and within disorder lies order. It all depends on what you can get away with....

Re-read his post... according to the wording of the PD, the little piece of order is on the order side, and the little piece of disorder is on the disorder side, rather than a little piece of order on the DISorder side, and the little piece of DISorder on the order side.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

What I don't get is how the pentagon is used as a symbol for aneristic stuff.

The pentagon generates more disorder than any other organization on Earth.  It's sort of a factory for LMNO's Principle...and it, in itself, is disorderly as hell, as anyone who has ever been there will tell you.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

LMNO

You know, that's a pretty interesting point. I know the pinealist answer to that, but I think we may want to go back to the drawing board.

What symbol most purely represents Order, Rules, Organization?

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 27, 2011, 06:44:07 PM
You know, that's a pretty interesting point. I know the pinealist answer to that, but I think we may want to go back to the drawing board.

The American Flag.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 27, 2011, 06:51:44 PM

The American Flag.

Have you seen what's been going on around here?

I'd have to disagree, for the same reason you want to disqualify the pentagon.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 27, 2011, 06:55:42 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 27, 2011, 06:51:44 PM

The American Flag.

Have you seen what's been going on around here?

I'd have to disagree, for the same reason you want to disqualify the pentagon.

Sure, I've seen what goes on around here.  People lining up in neat rows, keeping their heads down, and begging for Uncle Sugar to keep them safe.  Add into that the various movements to create anti-flag burning laws, and you get what I'm talking about.  The American flag represents everything about America that wants to be a good slave.

The pentagon is a symbol of something that wants to enslave.  The flag is a symbol of those who demand enslavement.

LMNO

Ok, I think I see where you're coming from.

What I'm hearing, pardon the paraphrasing, is that you're talking about the Aneristic Illusion, as opposed to the Aneristic Illusion. 

That is, it's focusing on the people who create and demand their easily understood narratives and patterns, who ignore the apparent disorder, and delude themselves with easily digestible order.

If that's not where you were going, apologies; that's where I ran with it.