News:

PD.com: can increase your susceptibility to cancer, dementia, heart disease, diabetes, influenza, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus - even the common cold.

Main Menu

Redditors start a 6 month read-through of Goedel Escher Bach 2012/1/17

Started by Triple Zero, December 28, 2011, 03:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Freeky

I know who Escher is, and I know who Bach is, but what is a Goedel Escher Bach?  :?

rong

"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

LMNO

A mind-numbing doorstopper of a book that claims to explain conciousness.

It's a fascinating read, but it can get pretty heavy.

Freeky

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on December 29, 2011, 04:40:25 PM
A mind-numbing doorstopper of a book that claims to explain conciousness.

It's a fascinating read, but it can get pretty heavy.

Oooh.  

I wonder if they'd have it at the library...  Nope. :(

LMNO

For a second there, I thought, "what self respecting library wouldn't have--"

And then I remembered.  TUCSON.

LMNO

To get some flavor of what he's on about, here's a thread that grabbed a paragraph from GEB and ran with it: http://www.principiadiscordia.com/forum/index.php?topic=15647.0

Freeky

Elder Iptuous

it really is a fantastic book.
i've owned three copies so far that i have lent out to people and never got back.  i'll buy it again.
Hofstadter is one of my favorite authors, and if you like GEB, i would also recommend 'Metamagical Themas' (an anagram of Mathematical Games which was the spot he wrote for SciAm magazine for years), and 'I Am a Strange Loop'.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Iptuous on December 30, 2011, 04:33:20 AM
it really is a fantastic book.
i've owned three copies so far that i have lent out to people and never got back.  i'll buy it again.
Hofstadter is one of my favorite authors, and if you like GEB, i would also recommend 'Metamagical Themas' (an anagram of Mathematical Games which was the spot he wrote for SciAm magazine for years), and 'I Am a Strange Loop'.

"The Mind's I" is also great.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Kai

I got halfway through and I found I just could not complete the thing. It, like everything in mathematics, is incremental. When I understood 90% of the first bit, I understood even less of the next chapter, because it builds on itself. Pretty soon I was lost to the algebra of formal systems and missing the point entirely. I'm sure that if I spent massive amount of time rereading until mastery I could grasp it, but I'm not sure if I really want to take that time. I began reading it because so many of you all have been insisting how wonderful it is, and I'm not really sure that's a good reason to push through a book I'm loosing interest in.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish