News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

Nigel's Shiny New Life Thread

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, January 03, 2012, 10:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoser McRhizzy

A week late here, but very congratulations on the school thing. :) 
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoser McRhizzy on January 11, 2012, 01:13:13 AM
A week late here, but very congratulations on the school thing. :)

Thanks! I'm pretty excited about it. It's a whole different way of living than the one I've had for the last almost nine years.

I think I can still torch three days a week maybe four hours a day, so that's not so bad.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Hoser McRhizzy

Good stuff.  And you're right about the school-PD.com overlap.  Most of the courses I've taken since going back have had "critical theory of..." somewhere in the description, and it happened a lot when I first found this site that I'd finish a conversation in class to log on and find it already happened here (usually 5 or 6 times in some capacity and usually a few years ago).  :lol:

It'll be cool to hear your coming at it from the other direction, if (when?) you bring stories back. In any case, welcome back to hackademia!
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Thurnez Isa

congratulations

now you'll be like me--- with no life

I mean...
now you'll be like me--- in complete awesomeness.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 11, 2012, 02:38:09 AM
congratulations

I mean...

Yeah except Nigel didn't choose rocks

so she won't have to be considered a huge nerd even by other scientists :sad:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cainad on January 11, 2012, 06:04:33 AM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on January 11, 2012, 02:38:09 AM
congratulations

I mean...

Yeah except Nigel didn't choose rocks

so she won't have to be considered a huge nerd even by other scientists :sad:

No, I chose brains

BRAAAAAAAINS
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

Congrats Nigel!

How do you say that returning to college later in life differs from going as a young person (not that you're by any means old!)?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

hirley0

TEN instructors to find & to :"TAKE": Papers from (1st&2nd week at PCCc

CIB {wax) |thUS i'LL change Tack to   ^that^ PoeTry
http://www.pcc.edu/schedule/  |& try to find Art 1/15  drop:Jan. 13

http://www.pcc.edu/scripts/webevent.pl?cmd=opencal&cal=cal17
Sylvania Campus will hold its winter term 2012 "lockdown drill" on Thursday,
THat search would bring up too many results and could slow the system for everyone

16407    Cascade Campus / MAHB / 109    02:00 PM-04:50 PM    
MW    09-Jan-2012 thru 21-Mar-2012   Instructor: C. E. E Minchin
11097    Cascade Campus / SC / 301    01:00 PM-02:50 PM    
MW    09-Jan-2012 thru 21-Mar-2012      Instructor: David V Ellis
10020    Open Campus / MTHOOD / MEADW    06:30 AM-06:45 PM    
Sa    21-Jan-2012 thru 18-Feb-2012      Instructor: Ann L Van Orman  or: Moe E O'Connor
13038    Cascade Campus / JH / 100    09:00 AM-11:50 AM    
M    09-Jan-2012 thru 19-Mar-2012      Instructor: Sang H Park
   11342    Cascade Campus / JH / 102    09:00 AM-10:50 AM    
MW    09-Jan-2012 thru 21-Mar-2012      Instructor: Troy W Jesse
11119    Cascade Campus / MAHB / 215    06:30 PM-10:20 PM    
Th    12-Jan-2012 thru 22-Mar-2012    Instructor: Barry L Hunt
Notes: $80 cash for theater tickets due 1st class.
2615    Cascade Campus / TH / 122    11:00 AM-12:50 PM    
TuTh    10-Jan-2012 thru 22-Mar-2012   Instructor: Martha J Bailey
10091    Cascade Campus / SC / 301    11:00 AM-12:50 PM    
MW    09-Jan-2012 thru 21-Mar-2012   Instructor: Maria E Wilson-Figueroa
& Instructor: Katie D LeCoe && nstructor: Lisa C George

navkat

Quote from: Nast on January 11, 2012, 07:15:40 AM
Congrats Nigel!

How do you say that returning to college later in life differs from going as a young person (not that you're by any means old!)?

I'll take this one.

When you're 19, you're a dumbshit with no foresight who just wants to look cool and have fun. You don't value things like having enough money left over to get an oil change after you pay for all this beer or daycares that stay open past 6 and someone to pick up yr kid who won't accidentally let him eat bleach while you're in class.

I fucked off bigtime in college for the year I went. I spent more time cruising for sex and trying to impress everyone by dressing all in black and bringing back the Beat generation aesthetic (don't hate, I was 19), that I really had no time to actually benefit from education. I thought I was a badass cause I was smarter than everyone...a 19 year old, socially inept, preachy, bigmouthed badass.

Oh yeah, I was slick.

After several years of being sodomized by work, life and people, facing challenges and being in some impossible situations, I was so humbled and grateful to be able to even go to school, I sucked every bit of meat off the bones.

Heh.

BadBeast

But those are exactly the things you should be doing at 19. I think kids should be educated up to being able to read, write, and do basic maths. Then they should be free to go and do all the stupid shit that kids always end up doing anyway. Then when they've got a bit of life experience under their belts, and have a better idea of what they want to do, get some relevant further education. It's easier to learn stuff when you don't resent the fuck out of having to sit and study what, at that time of life is just boring pointless shit.
So afaic, you dun gud, grrl!
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Nast on January 11, 2012, 07:15:40 AM
Congrats Nigel!

Other than the practical matters (it is nearly impossible to attend college full-time while a single parent raising children under 12 and paying a mortgage, for instance) it doesn't, much. I do think that it is a VERY VERY good idea to go to school before having kids and buying a house, though; the only reason I am pulling this off now with a $1500/mo house payment and 3 kids is because I work from home, I am highly skilled at what I do, and, if I am very disciplined, can supplement my financial aid enough to get by with 9-12 hours a week of torching.

I have less patience for student services because the way they operate is tailored toward the young, clueless, and irresponsible. I want to make an appointment and be in and out, but dealing with the sea of 18-20-year-olds I realize that making appointments and expecting them to keep  them would be folly.

It seems much less confusing/frightening because I have 22 years of experience with bureaucracy. I am not intimidated by my teachers, because they are mostly my age and at my age I am aware that teaching at a community college is just a job, not "The Authority".

I have less patience for classes getting bogged down by stupidity/naivete, which would have been a normal part of my peer group 20 years ago.

The idea of not doing my homework is laughable, so it's amusing yet wearying when the teachers repeat over and over again that it's imperative to do the homework. And then I become very aware that I am definitely going to get an A in any class that is graded on a curve, because basically all I have to do is show up, pay attention, and do my homework.

Speaking of which, I have to run off and do it now!

hirley0

Friday January 13th  Moon con Mars Venus con Neptune ?
Buy a pet:   

WHEN WE lived on Kerby St Up on the ?bank? we had a black cat
who lived in the garage. it was a very wild cat very independant
as i recall {& i don't) it was 1972 ish 40 years ago My guess would
be that although the house & the garage are things of the past
THE BLACK CAT is not. I would not be the least bit serprised if
you left a bit of hot dog or balloony there she/he would appear
in a day or two and Approach
---
thinking about this REMinds me of wild things (like Squirells etc
& I have an affinity of some sort. & I can tell walking by a dog
on a leash on the street they also have a desire (though unfullfiled
to return to the wild. Not for very long is my guess though

Freeky

My dogs think they want to return to the wild.  My parents often take them camping, and down to a nearby river to play off of their leashes, but they never go very far.  They're a bit scaredy cats when it comes to new things, like cows and running water. 

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

My math class was really short today. I love my math teacher; he's this balding gayish stoner dude who talks really slow, wears a bandanna, and tells seemingly rambling stories that not only inform you that he grew up on a farm and helped some redneck dude re-side his grandma's house, but also somehow miraculously at the end of the story you remember how to multiply fractions as if you'd never forgotten.

Anyway, he gave us this group project and said we could leave when we finished it; my group took ten minutes so I have the whole rest of the day to make shit, do general maintenance, and do homework.

But I thought that I would gush about how awesome my math teacher is first.

LMNO

A good math teacher is a mighty thing to behold.