News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Help with science writing.

Started by Kai, January 04, 2012, 02:44:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I've been writing a science-related blog for several years now. My hope is that my writing has improved somewhat. Then I wrote this post today. On one hand, that's the most comments I've had on any post ever, and I love getting criticism. On the other hand I feel like I really shouldn't have made that public.

It's not just the spelling errors either (I've tried to correct as many as I've seen). The whole thing is so horribly disorganized that it seems like I don't even know what I'm trying to say until the very end. And some of the ideas I was fronting now feel like they are way out in outer space. Like taxonomy amateur hour, or something. Hey look, some genera have lots of species and some genera have very few species. Isn't that /amazing/. I won't edit it now, because that would be dishonest.

I don't feel that I'm a horrible writer. I've improved, but I am definitely not the writer I want to be. The only idea I have right now is to show my copy to a friend to tell me if I'm bonkers and point out any glaring flaws in my logic before I post. This isn't science journalism, and sometimes it's as much philosophy as science. I'm not really sure how to work these stories. I'm not even really sure I have a /voice/. I'm caught between trying to use the voice I've created here, and the scientist voice of my publications. The latter is way too formal, but the former is too casual.

Tips, tricks, advice, help?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish