News:

PD.com: Like a fraternity of drunken clowns, hopped up on goofballs, beating one-another to a bloody pulp with bricks; the maniacal laughter increases exponentially as someone runs off to get a cinder-block.

Main Menu

Uncomfortable Topics: Uncomfortable Topics.

Started by The Good Reverend Roger, January 11, 2012, 06:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on January 12, 2012, 01:05:01 PM
Quote from: Waffle Iron on January 12, 2012, 12:21:49 PM
Quote from: navkat on January 12, 2012, 12:20:49 PM
I don't mind debating almost any topic with any weirdo. I just can't tolerate the zOMFGWTF GUYS I TOOK ACID AND FOUND THE PATHWAY TO TRUE ENLIGHTENMENT set.

I have seriously never understood this.

It stems from the fact that some people couldn't figure out that Tim Leary was incredibly smart, cool, and charismatic before he ever dropped acid.

Right??? Chicken or egg, mofo?

WRONG! Monomers, polymers and a spark of electricity, chucklehed. <---discordianism

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: RWHN on January 12, 2012, 11:07:17 AM
Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 12, 2012, 04:43:35 AM
In all fairness, you could have immediately put a stop to speculation about your professional qualifications by simply telling us what degree you hold that is relevant in your field. It wasn't an unreasonable request and it doesn't expose any of your actual PI. That you chose to dig your heels in and screech should not be held against the people who were properly skeptical.

I suppose that was where I may have trolled you two a bit.  At a certain point, I decided I was fed up and decided I was going to dance to my beat, not that laid down by others.  I can be very stubborn sometimes. 

But, as a bit of an olive branch, I have a Master's Degree in Public Policy.  It is one of the more common degrees amongst those who work in the prevention field since it usually does involve public policy issues.   I graduated Magnum Cum Laude.  I've worked under some of the greatest minds in the field.  So my qualifications and credentials are indeed there. 

By the way, in the interest of honesty, I really, really don't like In Flames.  ;)

I figured that when you never responded to my fanboy gushing in that thread. :lulz:

Anyway, fair enough. I appreciate you putting the issue to rest. And for the record, I personally never doubted your intelligence even if I was getting trollishly skeptical of your formal credentials.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Cain

I don't mind debating almost any topic with any weirdo. I just can't tolerate the zOMFGWTF GUYS I TOOK ACID AND FOUND THE PATHWAY TO TRUE ENLIGHTENMENT set.

It stems from the fact that some people couldn't figure out that Tim Leary was incredibly smart, cool, and charismatic before he ever dropped acid.

Lies.  What happened is that Leary dropped so much acid, it started not only affecting the present, but the past for him as well.

LMNO

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2012, 06:59:13 PMIn fact, I bet Faust and Trip could gin up some kind of bot that would randomly populate the thread with posts from old threads, thus allowing us to have the same old fucking shout-past-each-other conversations, without the need for typing it all out again.

Did that last week, decided to beta-test ITT, how do you like it so far?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Triple Zero on January 12, 2012, 04:14:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 11, 2012, 06:59:13 PMIn fact, I bet Faust and Trip could gin up some kind of bot that would randomly populate the thread with posts from old threads, thus allowing us to have the same old fucking shout-past-each-other conversations, without the need for typing it all out again.

It's great.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Faust on January 12, 2012, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: Richter on January 12, 2012, 02:59:23 AM
Quote from: Faust on January 12, 2012, 12:43:54 AM
Atheism.

Like communists and anarchists, I don't believe atheists exist.

Damn. Normally the slightest mention of that will start off that cycle for ten pages.
Certain topics just have us going through the motions, other forums call it a trigger warning a topic that elicits specific responses from large groups of people.
I personally hate seeing a thread with "uncomfortable topic" or "trigger warning" or whatever variation, we should be able to rise above that.
For a while whenever a Drug, Magic, atheism etc thread would appear and people start going through the motions posting the same exact arguments with each other I'd post pictures of hard hats/fall zone or other cautionary building site pictures, just to remind us that we've had those discussions before, we didn't reach a concensus so we might as well try to approach it from a different angle.

Frankly, I think that an "uncomfortable topic" is one that is not discussed much and that in general people tend to shy away from, not one of the tried-and-true recurring party-argument themes that crop up over and over again. Is it really "uncomfortable" if it's discussed ad nauseum on every board on the internet?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

The Good Reverend Roger

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Faust

Quote from: Nigel on January 12, 2012, 04:16:16 PM
Atheism.

Damn. Normally the slightest mention of that will start off that cycle for ten pages.
Certain topics just have us going through the motions, other forums call it a trigger warning a topic that elicits specific responses from large groups of people.
I personally hate seeing a thread with "uncomfortable topic" or "trigger warning" or whatever variation, we should be able to rise above that.
For a while whenever a Drug, Magic, atheism etc thread would appear and people start going through the motions posting the same exact arguments with each other I'd post pictures of hard hats/fall zone or other cautionary building site pictures, just to remind us that we've had those discussions before, we didn't reach a concensus so we might as well try to approach it from a different angle.

Frankly, I think that an "uncomfortable topic" is one that is not discussed much and that in general people tend to shy away from, not one of the tried-and-true recurring party-argument themes that crop up over and over again. Is it really "uncomfortable" if it's discussed ad nauseum on every board on the internet?

I wasn't referring to a specific case, each forum tends to have their own variations of these topics, on SA it's transgenderism. We have our own Ad Nausium topics, the ones I've listed Magic, athiesm, drugs elicit the same responses over and over.
Personally none of those topics are ones that interest me very much.
There are the Partykiller threads you see everywhere, but one of the reasons I like this forum is we tend not to have them.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on January 12, 2012, 04:16:40 PM

Let's try an experiment, shall we?

EK WAFFLR

Quote from: Cain on January 12, 2012, 03:28:36 PM

Lies.  What happened is that Leary dropped so much acid, it started not only affecting the present, but the past for him as well.

You're clearing things up so much! Thanks.
"At first I lifted weights.  But then I asked myself, 'why not people?'  Now everyone runs for the fjord when they see me."

Horribly Oscillating Assbasket of Deliciousness
[/b]

Nephew Twiddleton

Atheism.

Oh, um, ok. Atheism is a religion!  :box:

Eh, not feeling it.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 12, 2012, 05:04:39 PM
Quote from: Nigel on January 12, 2012, 04:16:40 PM

Let's try an experiment, shall we?

Uh-oh. What kind of experiment?

:scared:
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Faust

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 12, 2012, 05:47:02 PM
Atheism.

Oh, um, ok. Atheism is a religion!  :box:

Eh, not feeling it.
You'll see when it happens.
Sleepless nights at the chateau