News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Maybe stupid question

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, January 16, 2012, 06:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

So villager and i got tapped to play bass and guitar respectively for a local musician in two weeks and were practicing with him tonight. Hes going to give us some direction but we largely have free reign since the main focus is synth and vocals. Anyway hes thinking of going for a glam rock feel for this show.

So what are two or three songs that you think are stylistically representative of glam rock? I know thats a retarded question- if someone asked me the same about metal id call them daft but i dont really have a lot to go on atm.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 16, 2012, 06:04:19 PM
So what are two or three songs that you think are stylistically representative of glam rock? I know thats a retarded question- if someone asked me the same about metal id call them daft but i dont really have a lot to go on atm.

Tape some headphones to your skull and listen to Ratt & White Lion for a while.

There will be screaming involved - yours - but it's the only way you'll learn.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 06:05:33 PM

:lol:

Sorry, I mean like glitter rock, like David Bowie and shit rather than the 80s hair variety.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

navkat

"18 and Life" - Skid Row

"Talk Dirty To Me" and "Fallen Angel" - Poison

"Cherry Pie" - Warrant

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 16, 2012, 06:07:40 PM

Sorry, I mean like glitter rock, like David Bowie and shit rather than the 80s hair variety.

Oh, yeah, then.  David Bowie and Queen's later stuff.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

navkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 06:08:17 PM

"WHY CAN'T WE GIVE LOVE ONE MORE CHAAAANCE?"

Also: Bonus points if you take some Elton John and do it in the style of Bowie. I mean, BIG.

Man. I wanna SEE this.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 06:10:33 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 06:08:17 PM

"WHY CAN'T WE GIVE LOVE ONE MORE CHAAAANCE?"

Also: Bonus points if you take some Elton John and do it in the style of Bowie. I mean, BIG.

Man. I wanna SEE this.

Elton John is a blues singer, not glitter rock.

navkat

Rock is ALL blues and jazz, bruvah.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 06:12:37 PM

No, it isn't. 

1.  Jazz has nothing to do with rock n roll.  Scat jazz inspired rap, but that's about it, other than the idea that you can use your instruments the way you like, rather than strictly for "classical" type music.

2.  Blues DID have a lot to do with rock n roll, but rock n roll is more closely tied to R&B than pure blues.  What blues and the best bits of rock n roll have in common is that they have something to say.  Likewise, glitter rock differs from glam rock in that glitter rock is usually talking about things other than getting laid or pining after an old flame.  Glam rock is essentially the music world's answer to Romance novels, while glitter rock was a bunch of guys trying out something new and looking FABULOUS while they did it.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Ummm, off the top of my head...

"Rock and Roll Suicide" from The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

"Cum On Feel the Noize" by Slade

And I personally, would hate to see anything "Glam" or "Glitter" without throwing in something from Rocky Horror.  Maybe "Sweet Transvestite" or "I'm Going Home" not that "Time Warp" wouldn't get a lot of audience involvement but....  a bit overdone.

The Good Reverend Roger

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 06:46:02 PM
Quote from: Khara on January 16, 2012, 06:44:55 PM

Quiet Riot.

Wrong version.....  :wink:

Slade did it first in '73.  Mom had the record.  Only reason I even thought of it.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Khara on January 16, 2012, 06:48:28 PM

Quiet Riot.

Slade did it first in '73.  Mom had the record.  Only reason I even thought of it.

And I have been owned.  :lol:

I always think of Slade with their sappy 80s stuff.

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 06:50:40 PM
Quote from: Khara on January 16, 2012, 06:48:28 PM

Quiet Riot.

And I have been owned.  :lol:

I always think of Slade with their sappy 80s stuff.

Me too, I remember this song because when I was old enough to stand in one of mom's slips (as a dress) huge hair wig adn enough makeup to make Tammy Faye weep in envy with a big silver ladle as a microphone belting out David Bowie and others, THIS song she hid from me.....

Funniest thing is I never understood why for years... 

navkat

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 16, 2012, 06:16:51 PM
Quote from: navkat on January 16, 2012, 06:12:37 PM

No, it isn't. 

1.  Jazz has nothing to do with rock n roll.  Scat jazz inspired rap, but that's about it, other than the idea that you can use your instruments the way you like, rather than strictly for "classical" type music.

2.  Blues DID have a lot to do with rock n roll, but rock n roll is more closely tied to R&B than pure blues.  What blues and the best bits of rock n roll have in common is that they have something to say.  Likewise, glitter rock differs from glam rock in that glitter rock is usually talking about things other than getting laid or pining after an old flame.  Glam rock is essentially the music world's answer to Romance novels, while glitter rock was a bunch of guys trying out something new and looking FABULOUS while they did it.

If you wanna get technical, both Jazz and Blues (and country too) are derived from Gospel. Think tempo and chord progression.

I give you the Pres Hall Jazz Band:
http://video.pbs.org/video/2151153549/

Proving BOTH of us right:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHHcpao52DQ