News:

The only BEARFORCE1 slashfic forum on the Internet.  Fortunately.

Main Menu

Is money private property?

Started by Mesozoic Mister Nigel, January 25, 2012, 07:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I asked this question in my sociology class yesterday and it shut the class down. I know we treat it as private property, but is it really?

The definition I am using (feel free to add your own definition if you don't agree with this one) is that money is a government-defined representation of the exchange of goods and services, used as currency in trade.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nephew Twiddleton

I consider it little slips of paper (or ones and zeros on a piece of plastic) that say ive worked x amount of hours so im entitled to that beer.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Or maybe put a little better- a measurement of my energy expended on things which can then be exchanged for things generally agreed upon to be worth a certain amount of my time the hospital thinks is worth.

Cramulus

Wow, mind lazors! I was musing about that topic this morning.

I was thinking that if we lived in a more communal society, hoarding wealth would be seen as depriving the community of resources. Everybody would see it as decadence. As opposed to in capitalism, somebody that's wealthy is clearly doing it right.

I visualize these anti-tax libertarians, they feel like taxes are stealing their wealth. And they probably don't see roads, libraries, schools, police departments as their property too.

Is wealth the amount of cash you have hoarded, or your amount of cash-flow? I think if you view wealth as cash-flow, money-as-private-property makes less sense.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Billy the Twid on January 25, 2012, 07:15:20 PM
I consider it little slips of paper (or ones and zeros on a piece of plastic) that say ive worked x amount of hours so im entitled to that beer.

Right... so we're on the same page regarding the definition. But do you think it's private property?
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on January 25, 2012, 07:22:51 PM
Wow, mind lazors! I was musing about that topic this morning.

I was thinking that if we lived in a more communal society, hoarding wealth would be seen as depriving the community of resources. Everybody would see it as decadence. As opposed to in capitalism, somebody that's wealthy is clearly doing it right.

I visualize these anti-tax libertarians, they feel like taxes are stealing their wealth. And they probably don't see roads, libraries, schools, police departments as their property too.

Is wealth the amount of cash you have hoarded, or your amount of cash-flow? I think if you view wealth as cash-flow, money-as-private-property makes less sense.

Oooh, good! I'm glad the question is out there floating around and getting into people's brains!

I like your thoughts on this...

LMNO

Perhaps money is potential private property?  If you don't use it, it doesn't do (or mean) very much.  But you can use it to purchase private property.  Money is the means to aquire private property.

Did I just call money a verb?

Nephew Twiddleton

No i wouldnt say i consider it private property. I would say more that it represents my contribution to society (in my case understanding cancer or entertainment).

Its more like evidence rather than something. If you steal ten dollars off of me youre not stealing me of something i own but rather negating an hour of my time that i could have had fun with (after taxes).

Cramulus

I think this question also only makes sense for fiat currency. If the dollar is like an ownership deed for a small piece of a gold bar somewhere, then it's definitely private property, no?

In totally straight legal terms, of course money is private property -- I can't just help myself to money from your wallet, that's your money.

Quote from: Nigel on January 25, 2012, 07:10:37 PM
The definition I am using (feel free to add your own definition if you don't agree with this one) is that money is a government-defined representation of the exchange of goods and services, used as currency in trade.

Forgive me if I'm squinting too hard at this, but how can money symbolically represent the trade AND be the thing being traded?

Nephew Twiddleton

Money makes sense to me as a verb. I like that idea.

Cramulus

how did the discussion in your class go, Nigel?

East Coast Hustle

Actually, in strictly legal terms, money is NOT private property, at least not in the USA. I'm pretty sure it's the property of the federal reserve.

It's a federal crime to deface currency in a manner that renders it unfit for circulation.

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Lord Cataplanga

I think money is like a debt, like if you have X amount of money, that means the rest of the world owes you some amount of good and services that is worth X.

You can spend your money to acquire someone else's private property, but you can also use it to get someone to perform a service (is the time of the person providing the service "private property"?).

I think money it sometimes makes sense to think of money as a form of private property, especially in the case of microeconomics. It makes less sense in the realms of finance and macroeconomics, though.

Cain

This question clearly has to be dealt with on at least two levels.

Are individual bits of money private property?  I can see arguments for both sides of this.

Is money as a concept private property?  Not really.  In this case, the actions of individuals can have very large impact on the holdings of all, or at least a large number of people within a nation-state territory.  Hoarding it, burning it, engaging in highly volatile speculative practices, spending it on expensive programs... all of these can and will impact on the value of money you "own".  In that larger sense, the idea of money as private property is a kind of fiction, as one cannot assert sovereign control over it.  If I had 3000 iPods, and then burnt them, I'd be an idiot, but it wouldn't otherwise affect anyone elses iPods.  I have £3 billion and I burnt it, however, it would have significant impact on all the money everyone else owns.

Cramulus

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on January 25, 2012, 07:40:56 PM
Actually, in strictly legal terms, money is NOT private property, at least not in the USA. I'm pretty sure it's the property of the federal reserve.

It's a federal crime to deface currency in a manner that renders it unfit for circulation.

Do you mean the little slips of paper we trade, or the value that those slips represent? I think the green slips of paper are definitely owned by the Federal Reserve, but are the assets in your bank account federal property? If so, it would be illegal (theft, in fact!) to move your money offshore, right?

I feel so uneducated about economics right now.

Quote from: Cain on January 25, 2012, 07:42:56 PM
In that larger sense, the idea of money as private property is a kind of fiction, as one cannot assert sovereign control over it.

great point... here's my question - is value something you can have sovereign control of? I mean, in your ipod example, burning 3000 ipods might actually change apple's supply/demand, and thereby affect everybody's ipod's value.

By that logic, could you say NOTHING is private property, because its value is determined by stuff like market forces?