News:

TESTEMONAIL:  Right and Discordianism allows room for personal interpretation. You have your theories and I have mine. Unlike Christianity, Discordia allows room for ideas and opinions, and mine is well-informed and based on ancient philosophy and theology, so, my neo-Discordian friends, open your minds to my interpretation and I will open my mind to yours. That's fair enough, right? Just claiming to be discordian should mean that your mind is open and willing to learn and share ideas. You guys are fucking bashing me and your laughing at my theologies and my friends know what's up and are laughing at you and honestly this is my last shot at putting a label on my belief structure and your making me lose all hope of ever finding a ideological group I can relate to because you don't even know what the fuck I'm talking about and everything I have said is based on the founding principals of real Discordianism. Expand your mind.

Main Menu

ATTN: Luna (Warning: TORbaggery)

Started by Scribbly, January 31, 2012, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scribbly

You mentioned wanting to know if other people play TOR?

WELL I DO!  :)

I picked it up a couple of weeks ago because I'd heard good things about it and it is the first MMO that I'm actually enjoying. I'm largely pootling around on my own, teaching myself the ropes (My highest character is only level 17 at the moment), because it sure feels like people expect you to understand everything there is to know about MMOs, and I'm way too non-committal to want to sign up for a guild or something that requires regular, scheduled questing. I already have a job! Though a few friends of mine in the states have put together a relaxed guild and I might join that when I'm a higher level. I understand you pretty much need a guild when you max out in order to get the most out of endgame content.

I have yet to really explore PVP, either. I'm just having fun running around as a Sith stabbing fools and being cartoonishly evil. The stories aren't masterpieces, but they are engaging and a hell of a lot more immersive than WoW, which I just couldn't bring myself to care about. I'm sure I'm terrible at the game, but it is providing enough fun for the moment to justify a little bite out of my entertainment budget.

The main complaints I've heard seem to be around PVP and the Light Side story. I've got a level 10 Jedi Shadow and that's as far as I've bothered to go down that route because the stealthy gameplay failed to click with me. What are your experiences so far? The Sith Warrior story just had me grinning like a loon all the way through so far. I've carefully avoided all spoilers, so I'm impressed with the fact it has grabbed me more than Skyrim and looks set to do so for at least another three or four months as I go through the other stories.
I had an existential crisis and all I got was this stupid gender.

Luna

Girlgeekout warning!   :lol:

I haven't touched my WoW account since beta testing SW:TOR.

LOVE the game.  I have a level 50 Sith Inquisitor/Sorceress, specced to heal.  (This has made me very popular in the guild, we have all of 2 L50 healers, so far.)  My guild doesn't require scheduled questing, however, we are trying to get the numbers together to get to the endgame stuff, so we're encouraging each other, and those who WANT to do scheduled stuff can sign up for one of the formal groups.  We're doing one night a week.  It is, I'm sure, possible to do the big stuff with pickup groups, but it's better to have a group who know each other, and are used to working together.

My guild is a lot of fun...  A lot of them have been together through several different games, including earlier SW games and WoW.  I'm a late addition.  And, for extra amusement value, I am the only female player in the guild.  This has offered endless entertainment, including one of the guild officers who had been considering having a word with the guild about the fact that there was now a GIRL in guild chat and that they should tone down the raunchy a bit... until he logged in and found me giving as good as I got.  (I believe the quote from one of the guys I actually know IRL was, "Wow, it's like watching a mouse screw with a cat and think he's doing WELL...") 

The Inquisitor storyline kicked ass.  'Nuff said, those who give spoilers shall have their tongues nailed to trees.  (I have gone with other, lower-level inquisitors to help them with their class quests, just for the joy of hearing them swear in Ventrilo.)

I hate PvP with a firey passion, always have in WoW, and it's carried over to SW:TOR.  Won't do it.  Thus far, I've found, I get by just fine without doing it, or the space missions.  I'm a bit short on cash, but, I do okay.
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Telarus

In hear that the game feels unpopulated, and most locations, while rendered beautifully, don't feel dynamic or that "things happen here".

Comments?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Scribbly

Quote from: Telarus on January 31, 2012, 12:41:05 PM
In hear that the game feels unpopulated, and most locations, while rendered beautifully, don't feel dynamic or that "things happen here".

Comments?

I'm in Europe, and I like RP, so I picked a random European RP server. So far, my starting areas had ~30-40 people in, and every planet I've travelled to since has had at least 100 people. There's usually lots of people running around completing the same quests you are, especially at 'prime time' (6-11 pm). Obviously the American servers might be different. I haven't felt anything sucked so far, though running around the cities does get a little tiresome just because they are so huge.

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2012, 12:28:30 PM

LOVE the game.  I have a level 50 Sith Inquisitor/Sorceress, specced to heal.  (This has made me very popular in the guild, we have all of 2 L50 healers, so far.)  My guild doesn't require scheduled questing, however, we are trying to get the numbers together to get to the endgame stuff, so we're encouraging each other, and those who WANT to do scheduled stuff can sign up for one of the formal groups.  We're doing one night a week.  It is, I'm sure, possible to do the big stuff with pickup groups, but it's better to have a group who know each other, and are used to working together.

My guild is a lot of fun...  A lot of them have been together through several different games, including earlier SW games and WoW.  I'm a late addition.  And, for extra amusement value, I am the only female player in the guild.  This has offered endless entertainment, including one of the guild officers who had been considering having a word with the guild about the fact that there was now a GIRL in guild chat and that they should tone down the raunchy a bit... until he logged in and found me giving as good as I got.  (I believe the quote from one of the guys I actually know IRL was, "Wow, it's like watching a mouse screw with a cat and think he's doing WELL...") 

The Inquisitor storyline kicked ass.  'Nuff said, those who give spoilers shall have their tongues nailed to trees.  (I have gone with other, lower-level inquisitors to help them with their class quests, just for the joy of hearing them swear in Ventrilo.)

I hate PvP with a firey passion, always have in WoW, and it's carried over to SW:TOR.  Won't do it.  Thus far, I've found, I get by just fine without doing it, or the space missions.  I'm a bit short on cash, but, I do okay.

Glad to hear the Sorceress quest line is also awesome!

I'm running Juggernaut as my main, which I'm largely liking just because I feel like I can take a beating and not worry too much about my reflexes and timing. There's a lot to juggle which I'm not used to, and from what I understand reading the internets, a good tank needs to really know their taskbar and be ready to draw mobs away. There seem to be toooons of people running around with dual lightsabers though, and I wanted to be different. (Plus, with my DPS companion if I hit everything properly I get to stand there wailing on things and having them wail on me to no effect until she burns them all down, which is great fun).

I played WoW briefly, like five years ago, but found the community were just so horrible to each other (and me!) in play that I couldn't be arsed to stick with it. So far my experience on TOR has been very positive, and during questing I've had people suddenly jump in to give me a hand or offer me some cool loot they couldn't use quite a few times. I've started doing the same, even.

The cynic in me wonders if this is because I have a girl character (don't judge me!) but I'd like to think it is because the community is genuinely happier. Nobody has tried to proposition me for sex so far, either! Which, again, is a bonus compared to my limited WoW experience.

Luna

Comments?

True that it isn't as packed nut to butt as WoW.  I see this as a plus.

"Rendered beautifully" is truth, spiked with geek moments of, "I am ON TATTOINE BULLSEYEING WOMP RATS!" and, "oh, shit, a wampa/rancor!"  (My guildmates got miles of entertainment out of me bitching about not having ridable tauntauns on Hoth.)

Servers aren't full, but the game is still new.  There's room to expand on existing servers, this is good.  Finding a group for the content that requires a group (said content are optional missions) can be hit or miss, but I can live with that in return for not having to stand in line for a particular mob to finish a quest.
Quote from: Demolition_Squid on January 31, 2012, 01:03:48 PM

Comments?

I'm in Europe, and I like RP, so I picked a random European RP server. So far, my starting areas had ~30-40 people in, and every planet I've travelled to since has had at least 100 people. There's usually lots of people running around completing the same quests you are, especially at 'prime time' (6-11 pm). Obviously the American servers might be different. I haven't felt anything sucked so far, though running around the cities does get a little tiresome just because they are so huge.

I'm running Juggernaut as my main, which I'm largely liking just because I feel like I can take a beating and not worry too much about my reflexes and timing. There's a lot to juggle which I'm not used to, and from what I understand reading the internets, a good tank needs to really know their taskbar and be ready to draw mobs away. There seem to be toooons of people running around with dual lightsabers though, and I wanted to be different. (Plus, with my DPS companion if I hit everything properly I get to stand there wailing on things and having them wail on me to no effect until she burns them all down, which is great fun).

I played WoW briefly, like five years ago, but found the community were just so horrible to each other (and me!) in play that I couldn't be arsed to stick with it. So far my experience on TOR has been very positive, and during questing I've had people suddenly jump in to give me a hand or offer me some cool loot they couldn't use quite a few times. I've started doing the same, even.

The cynic in me wonders if this is because I have a girl character (don't judge me!) but I'd like to think it is because the community is genuinely happier. Nobody has tried to proposition me for sex so far, either! Which, again, is a bonus compared to my limited WoW experience.

I have made a point of, during the first few weeks of play, especially, telling people who act like jerks to go back to WoW.  I make time to help people level, it's fun.

Gender bending, no big.  Best excuse I have heard for a guy playing a girl toon was, "I am going to be staring at an ass for hours, it's gonna be one I WANT to look at."  And, some of the interactions with companions are different.

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

Scribbly

Quote from: Luna on January 31, 2012, 01:15:24 PM

Comments?

True that it isn't as packed nut to butt as WoW.  I see this as a plus.

"Rendered beautifully" is truth, spiked with geek moments of, "I am ON TATTOINE BULLSEYEING WOMP RATS!" and, "oh, shit, a wampa/rancor!"  (My guildmates got miles of entertainment out of me bitching about not having ridable tauntauns on Hoth.)

Servers aren't full, but the game is still new.  There's room to expand on existing servers, this is good.  Finding a group for the content that requires a group (said content are optional missions) can be hit or miss, but I can live with that in return for not having to stand in line for a particular mob to finish a quest.
Quote from: Demolition_Squid on January 31, 2012, 01:03:48 PM

Comments?

I have made a point of, during the first few weeks of play, especially, telling people who act like jerks to go back to WoW.  I make time to help people level, it's fun.

Gender bending, no big.  Best excuse I have heard for a guy playing a girl toon was, "I am going to be staring at an ass for hours, it's gonna be one I WANT to look at."  And, some of the interactions with companions are different.

I forget what the exact line was, but the male imperial voice made me flinch.

My Sith Warrior sounds almost exactly like my Aunt, which only adds to the awesome as she crushes the throat of some poor fool whose faith was found lacking.

Luna

It it WRONG that I play a Twi'lek Darth who runs around in an Imperial Dancer outfit?   :lol: