News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Prop 8 Unconstitutional

Started by LMNO, February 07, 2012, 06:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Quote from: Nigel on February 27, 2012, 07:25:58 PM
It's not like you ever just get to sit back and stop striving. There is no arena of life where that works. We strive for food, shelter, love, justice, and anything else worth having in life.

I certainly don't accept the defeatist mindset, and I never will.

And as Discordians we also never stop strifing!! ;-)

(sorry but it was there, looking at me)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 27, 2012, 07:31:32 PM
Quote from: Nigel on February 27, 2012, 07:25:58 PM
Annnnd this.

It's not like you ever just get to sit back and stop striving. There is no arena of life where that works. We strive for food, shelter, love, justice, and anything else worth having in life.

I certainly don't accept the defeatist mindset, and I never will.

Life is short, and everyone's gotta go sooner or later.  What's important is to leave the world a little bit better than you found it.

And there's no denying that things ARE better.  Every decade is a little bit nicer, in many ways, than the one before it...Just compare today with 100 years ago.  Or 67 years ago, for that matter.

It might be hard to keep perspective when you're dealing with religious nuts and weird fucking teabaggers, but things are, in fact, rolling right along.  Nobody ever said it was going to be quick or easy.

Yep.

Things are pretty bad in very specific ways... change-or-die kinds of ways. But we've managed to go the change route on most things up to this point.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Homophobia is one attitude that does generally seem to be dying out.  While I am of course skeptical of "progress" as a political concept, and always wary of the fact that we can regress, it would seem that, outside of a mass conversion to fundamentalist religious doctrines within the industrialized world, homosexuality is becoming widely accepted as a valid and equal sexual orientation in those areas.

Hell, some of the best loved TV presenters over here are not only openly gay, but camper than a row of tents.  And given the UK has been traditionally (read: irrationally) quite homophobic in past decades, that alone is a very positive sign.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yesterday EOT was talking about how all the under-40 guys he works with who are from conservative suburbs like Hillsboro all look like gay hipsters from the 90's. I think that as suburban America catches up with urban culture, many of the "urban hipster" values are also permeating. Younger generations are growing up with things like, well, openly gay people being around and visible and not hurting anything, so they're increasingly able to relate to them and say "this doesn't harm anyone, why should I be against it?"

Culture change happens, and I am OK with calling any culture change that results in people's rights being upheld and basic needs being met "progress".

Now we just need to work on economic progress.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."