News:

It is better to set off a nuclear bomb, than to sit and curse the dark.

Main Menu

Heartland institute documents leaked; reveals climate skeptic strategies

Started by Placid Dingo, February 17, 2012, 06:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

Quote from: Twid, not Billy. on February 18, 2012, 08:01:43 PM
Yeah thats the shitty part. Everyone thinks in the short term and doesnt want to be inconvenienced now. Iirc kai pointed out that home recycling is essentially useless even if everyone does it since its such a small percentage of the problem.

It really is. Promotion of residential recycling, while an obviously good thing, is useless unless commercial industries follow suit. It also causes people to ignore far larger problems of inefficient fuel and water use by industry and, especially for the latter, agriculture. In the whole picture, what residential households do with waste, fuel, and water is such a tiny piece of the pie that it wouldn't make any difference if they stopped. That doesn't mean that they shouldn't. It means that it's a tiny part to the massive improvement needed.

I will say one thing about paper recycling though. The chemicals needed to expunge the dyes from paper products are often worse than the primary production chemicals. In many ways I'd rather farm aspen for clearcutting (because they grow right back up, and make excellent pulp) than recycle some of these paper products (not cardboard, incidentally; that's a solid recycling strategy).
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

The Rev

I don't...I just don't...

VANCOUVER, Canada - The world's first "test-tube" meat, a hamburger made from a cow's stem cells, will be produced this fall, Dutch scientist Mark Post told a major science conference on Sunday.

Post's aim is to invent an efficient way to produce skeletal muscle tissue in a laboratory that exactly mimics meat, and eventually replace the entire meat-animal industry.

The ingredients for his first burger are "still in a laboratory phase," he said, but by fall "we have committed ourselves to make a couple of thousand of small tissues, and then assemble them into a hamburger."

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/02/20/12/first-test-tube-hamburger-ready-fall-researchers

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 20, 2012, 08:22:20 PM
Post's aim is to invent an efficient way to produce skeletal muscle tissue in a laboratory that exactly mimics meat, and eventually replace the entire meat-animal industry.

Annnnnd cows will be extinct by Tuesday of the following week.   :lulz:

And we're all dead the following week from bad prions.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

The Rev

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 20, 2012, 08:23:14 PM

If it's going to take until fall to make one fucking burger, we'll all starve to death long before they can poison us.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 20, 2012, 08:26:32 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on February 20, 2012, 08:23:14 PM

If it's going to take until fall to make one fucking burger, we'll all starve to death long before they can poison us.

Yeah, well, we have cows until they figure it out.

Then we all die of DIIIIIIIIABETES!   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

AFK

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

The Rev

I'm just going to start eating people when they do away with real meat. That will start reducing the stress on the planet.

Chairman Risus

VANCOUVER, Canada - The world's first "test-tube" meat, a hamburger made from a cow's stem cells, will be produced this fall, Dutch scientist Mark Post told a major science conference on Sunday.

The ingredients for his first burger are "still in a laboratory phase," he said, but by fall "we have committed ourselves to make a couple of thousand of small tissues, and then assemble them into a hamburger."

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/02/20/12/first-test-tube-hamburger-ready-fall-researchers

I'm just curious as to how they'll re-brand it.

The Rev

Quote from: Risus on February 21, 2012, 06:44:10 PM

I'm just curious as to how they'll re-brand it.

The Other Red Non-Meat

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

VAT MEAT

IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME

The logical conclusion to this is that someone will grow some human vat-meat and eat it. Maybe out of HeLa cells.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on February 21, 2012, 07:20:29 PM
VAT MEAT

IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME

The logical conclusion to this is that someone will grow some human vat-meat and eat it. Maybe out of HeLa cells.

Warren Ellis is right about EVERYTHING.   :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger