News:

PD.com: children are filled with joy, adults are filled with dread and local government is filled with stupid

Main Menu

Considering buying a Tablet PC. Any advice?

Started by Danjanon, February 25, 2012, 09:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danjanon

The subject pretty much sums it up. Instead of upgrading my laptop I'd like to replace it with a Tablet PC.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I don't have much of an opinion, but my friend has an iPad as her only computer and loves it. I have another friend who doesn't even like computers, who loves the iPad.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

As long as you don't take it to school, I mean seriously, who does that??
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Q. G. Pennyworth

What are you going to be using it for? Tablets are good portable web browsers, note taking devices, media centers and toys. They're not great for doing a lot of graphics or video (in my experience, open to differing opinions on that) or word processing. If you plan on doing any significant amount of typing on it, make sure to include the cost of an add-on full size keyboard to the total cost. You do not want to get too used to the built in keyboards on these things, it'll fuck up your regular typing.

Triple Zero

personally I just got

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/293334/asus-eee-pc-1215b-blk216m.html#tab:info

which is not a tablet, but a 12" laptop (they won't call it a netbook unless it's 10") except I paid 350 euros for it not 399 dunno why it got more expensive (unless there's something in those specs I haven't got but I can't spot it).

it's perfect. On a 12", the keyboard is small but big enough to be comfortable, the screen size is great too. the only downside to this particular model is that the screen itself is a bit low quality, some backlight LED bleeding on the left side, which bothers me sometimes.

I dunno why I'd want a tablet. Unless it's e-ink and has insane battery time. But this one lasts 6-8 hours. Actually I might be interested in a netbook with e-ink, but I dunno if they'll ever make one.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 26, 2012, 01:34:57 AM
personally I just got

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/293334/asus-eee-pc-1215b-blk216m.html#tab:info

which is not a tablet, but a 12" laptop (they won't call it a netbook unless it's 10") except I paid 350 euros for it not 399 dunno why it got more expensive (unless there's something in those specs I haven't got but I can't spot it).

it's perfect. On a 12", the keyboard is small but big enough to be comfortable, the screen size is great too. the only downside to this particular model is that the screen itself is a bit low quality, some backlight LED bleeding on the left side, which bothers me sometimes.

I dunno why I'd want a tablet. Unless it's e-ink and has insane battery time. But this one lasts 6-8 hours. Actually I might be interested in a netbook with e-ink, but I dunno if they'll ever make one.

They'll totally make one, they're in development right now! That's kind of something I'm anticipating too; it'll be really cool to have something that light and thin and readable.

Triple Zero

Yeah but with a keyboard, right? And also I wonder what OS it would be running. Windows isn't made for e-ink.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Triple Zero on February 26, 2012, 02:05:04 AM
Yeah but with a keyboard, right? And also I wonder what OS it would be running. Windows isn't made for e-ink.

The ones I read about were touchscreen, but touchscreen e-ink is going to have to get a lot faster before typing on it stops being annoying.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

No I'm wrong, look! http://www.techdigest.tv/2012/02/amazon_readying.html

That's Kindle, which is not the model I was looking at before, but I can't find that link now. I'll keep looking.

Oysters Rockefeller

Meh. I used to sell Nooks at a previous job. The tablet is fairly cool for the price, but I don't know that you'd want to replace a laptop with it. Most people get the nook tablet for price-related reasons.
I hear good things about the android from a few people that have 'em, though. It's kind of like Queen Gogira said...it's all about what you'll use it for.
Well, my gynecologist committed suicide...
----------------------
I'm nothing if not kind of ridiculous and a little hard to take seriously.
----------------------
Moar liek Oysters Cockefeller, amirite?!

Danjanon

Quote from: Queen Gogira Pennyworth, BSW on February 25, 2012, 08:37:21 PM
What are you going to be using it for? Tablets are good portable web browsers, note taking devices, media centers and toys. They're not great for doing a lot of graphics or video (in my experience, open to differing opinions on that) or word processing. If you plan on doing any significant amount of typing on it, make sure to include the cost of an add-on full size keyboard to the total cost. You do not want to get too used to the built in keyboards on these things, it'll fuck up your regular typing.

My plan is to use it for textbooks for Tafe and tabletop gaming, reading comics on, browsing the web and using it to view chord charts and lyrics, so I don't have to print out everything I want to play.

Turns out my decision has been made for me, I was talking to a friend and she says she'll give me hers that she never uses. Needs its screen to be repaired, but other than that it works fine. Thanks for everyone's input though :)

Q. G. Pennyworth

Getting the screen repaired on those things is a goddamn nightmare, you sure that's gonna be cheaper than getting a new one?

Danjanon

I'm not sure, no. The plan is to get a quote and go from there. It's a pretty cheap one, so it's more than likely not going to be worth it, but here's hoping. For those playing at home, it's a Pendo Pad .

Richter

I'm pondering one myself, and working out if a samsung galaxy 7 is worth the cash, or if I could shoehorn a kindle fire into typing/web/pdf viewing
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat