News:

PD.com: Better than a xylophone made out of live kittens that you play with a tazer.

Main Menu

Another reason to think twice about posting THAT on Facebook....

Started by AFK, March 06, 2012, 01:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navkat

Quote from: Oysters Rockefeller on March 08, 2012, 08:17:22 PM
Two things to consider:

1. If you put something on facebook that you aren't comfortable with everybody being able to see, you are an idiot. It's not like a diary, it's like a billboard.

2. This is still retarded. It's essentially bullying people into giving up their right to a non-work life. People shouldn't have to worry about saying something controversial because in 3 years an employer who disagrees might not hire them.

This is a nice way to sum up something I've been thinking about a lot. It's this: if George Orwell were to write 1984 today, he wouldn't call it "thoughtcrime," he'd call it "thoughtproperty" or "thoughtdebt."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: navkat on March 08, 2012, 07:52:13 PM
I disagree with you for once, Rog.

My thought is if you put it out there where an employer can see it, that's your oh shit.
If your employer pretends to be a hot blonde from Destin and you friend them, that's your oh shit.

Requiring you to hand over your password or log in and let them peek at your protected entries is crossing the line.

I agree.  What I should have said was that anything the public can see, they can ask to see, ie, "what name do you use on FB?".

Demanding to have full password access is unreasonable, as private entries have an implied expectation of privacy. 
Molon Lube

Triple Zero

Quote from: navkat on March 08, 2012, 08:07:09 PM
I assumed ECH meant that they have a master account that isn't restricted by blocks, friending or privacy controls.

OK that makes a bit more sense.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Telarus

http://laughingsquid.com/facebook-id-card/

The Facebook Identity Card by FB Bureau was created by German artist Tobias Leingruber. FB Identity Cards are being distributed at Supermarkt Berlin on March 2.*

*Tobias has since been threatened by major lawsuits from FB, and has stopped producing the cards.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

navkat

Junkenstein

The basis behind the lawsuit was "Fucker's beaten us to it. Sue him or hire him or both or something"
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Junkenstein on March 09, 2012, 12:56:36 AM
The basis behind the lawsuit was "Fucker's beaten us to it. Sue him or hire him or both or something"

I thought exactly the same thing.

Scary because they MIGHT JUST DO THAT.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

navkat

What's scary is that having an online profile tied to your Social Security # which will pop up when your RFID-enabled Driver License is scanned, is a distinct probability. It's already common knowledge that both DHS and Canadian Border agents use search engines like Google to research persons entering and exiting the countries and attach what they've discovered to the person's profile (Look up "Andrew Feldmar") for life.

We've already eradicated Habeas Corpus in this country and seriously blurred the lines with regards to unwarranted searches based on suspicion alone or no suspicion at all. The very crux of the DHS act, in fact was based upon the processing, gathering, mantenance and cross-pollination of data between Enforcement Agencies and in one central place (DHS itself). Everybody bitched and whined that 9/11 would never have happened if the CIA and the FBI were able to cross-pollinate files on citizens ("You mean all the data we needed to stop the terrorists was out there and you did nothing simply because of a few Constitutional rights?!? This is a travesty!). Now we have a nasty precedent of "leave no stone unturned" built into the very core of Defense in this country so in essence, by pure virtue of the very purpose of the DHS, associating the your LJ with your ID with your passport, etc must occur...because We The People demanded it back in 2001.

Junkenstein

Discussing the concept of a 'facebook card' just seems to make that woyld be doable. Tie in paypal or new thing exactly like paypal couls be a potential long term strategy. Big money in koans and payday lending. Who better to collect than your friends. You also keep telling them were you go and are.

This disturbs and appeals to me. Someone fund that. You'll probably make scary money.

I meant loans. Getting the starving to pay for koans instead of food is magnificent bastard level of evil. Do that instead.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Cain

QuoteIt's already common knowledge that both DHS and Canadian Border agents use search engines like Google to research persons entering and exiting the countries and attach what they've discovered to the person's profile (Look up "Andrew Feldmar") for life.

PD has a similar immigration policy.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on March 10, 2012, 01:07:39 AM
QuoteIt's already common knowledge that both DHS and Canadian Border agents use search engines like Google to research persons entering and exiting the countries and attach what they've discovered to the person's profile (Look up "Andrew Feldmar") for life.

PD has a similar immigration policy.

:lulz:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

I assumed ECH meant that they have a master account that isn't restricted by blocks, friending or privacy controls.

that is what I meant, though it amounts to the same thing. They can see ANYTHING on your facebook page, regardless of your privacy settings. My buddy in Maine is a Waldo County Deputy Sheriff and they use it for everything from figuring out where the underage parties are to catching people setting up the fencing of stolen goods.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Fuck You One-Eye on March 10, 2012, 03:08:51 AM

that is what I meant, though it amounts to the same thing. They can see ANYTHING on your facebook page, regardless of your privacy settings. My buddy in Maine is a Waldo County Deputy Sheriff and they use it for everything from figuring out where the underage parties are to catching people setting up the fencing of stolen goods.

I see ...

And are your Internet cables also on poles above the ground? (how does that work anyway, when everybody could walk up to a telefone pole and tap it, no?)

I bet it's not restricted to a whitelisted IP ... they probably do monitor access, but if some Anonymous would catch it, spider/download as much info possible from a pre-selected list of famous/interesting accounts ... especially from the more vocal "if you got nothing to hide" politicians.

just to press the point about it's not the privacy settings but the existence of all that data in a centralized location controlled by a single entity.

Then that would be very irresponsible, unethical and in bad taste.

Freeky

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 10, 2012, 09:25:29 AM

Then that would be very irresponsible, unethical and in bad taste.

You mean like it normally is over here? :?