News:

Revenge is a dish best served salty, sterile, wet and warm.

Main Menu

Where the Fuck Have I Been? (You've been worried sick!)

Started by Cuddlefish, March 09, 2012, 03:33:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuddlefish

I have to apologize for my absence during the past few weeks. Sure, school is in full swing with midterms and all, but that's not why I haven't been here. And, of course, there's the everyday drama and bullshit that comes with dealing with domesticated primates, but that's not it either.

You see, the real reason I haven't been here is (I'm so ashamed)... I accidentally started writing a novel. I am so sorry. It started with an assignment for my Fantasy Lit class: A 6-12 page, double spaced, short story. I got an early start on it, fearing I would not become properly inspired by the end of the semester. Once I hit 15 pages single spaced, and the story wasn't even a quarter told, I knew there was a problem. But I decided to let the story be what it wanted to be, and now I am over thirty pages in (in "standard" novel format, that's about 60-65 pages) and only about a third of the way through. I intend on finishing it, for good or for ill.

In short, it's a creative exploration of psychology, dreams, the subconscious, Jungian archetypes, and a fresh, modernized view of the concept of the "collective consciousness." It is a stylistic look at the past-centric "lizard-brain" vs. the Nietzschean Overman, or "future self," set in a fantastical dream-world. Is it any good? I haven't the foggiest (my mom thinks I'm cool).

Another day or two and I'll be at a good point to try to get some feed back, if anyone feels like punishing them self (beats flagellation.) let me know, and maybe I'll let you check out a copy, but only if you are capable and interested in giving meaningful feedback.

Otherwise, I'll see you when I get back from Terra-Somnia. And, again, my apologies, both for not being here, and for being pretentious enough to attempt to write a novel.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cuddlefish

Triple Zero

:)

Maybe you can post it in parts so we can give feedback bite-sized?
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 09, 2012, 03:45:05 PM

I'm not sure if I'm interested in posting it publicly at this point (it's still very drafty). I'd rather prefer fewer people willing to give detailed feedback, as opposed to more people being less specific. But, no one should feel obligated, by any means. I already have a couple of good people proofreading for me, but I am open to more feedback from people willing to put in the time. Maybe I'll post a chapter, or two, I'm not sure yet. 

navkat

Meh. I'm a migrant poster here. Less so as of late but for years "flounce" was my middle name.

Welcome back, whoever you are.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: navkat on March 09, 2012, 03:58:22 PM
Meh. I'm a migrant poster here. Less so as of late but for years "flounce" was my middle name.

Welcome back, whoever you are.

I'm Cuddlefish... In LATIN!

LMNO

Don Coyote

Q. G. Pennyworth

I'd love to see it! I promise I'll yell at you about punctuation and everything

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Lolligus on March 09, 2012, 03:33:35 PM
You see, the real reason I haven't been here is (I'm so ashamed)... I accidentally started writing a novel.

There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you do it in private and wash your hands afterward.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Quote from: Lolligus on March 09, 2012, 03:50:03 PM

I'm not sure if I'm interested in posting it publicly at this point (it's still very drafty). I'd rather prefer fewer people willing to give detailed feedback, as opposed to more people being less specific. But, no one should feel obligated, by any means. I already have a couple of good people proofreading for me, but I am open to more feedback from people willing to put in the time. Maybe I'll post a chapter, or two, I'm not sure yet.

Okay, even though I'm very curious, I can't promise to have time for detailed feedback, or even reading it all (depending on how much).

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 09, 2012, 06:24:06 PM
Quote from: Lolligus on March 09, 2012, 03:33:35 PM
You see, the real reason I haven't been here is (I'm so ashamed)... I accidentally started writing a novel.

There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you do it in private and wash your hands afterward.

:lulz: :lulz: I think this is the most appropriate response.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Triple Zero on March 09, 2012, 08:12:32 PM
Quote from: Lolligus on March 09, 2012, 03:50:03 PM

Okay, even though I'm very curious, I can't promise to have time for detailed feedback, or even reading it all (depending on how much).

Don't even worry about it, man. I do not expect anyone to be lining up to read weird fantasy/psych fiction by some dude on the internet.

I feel all  :magick: right now. It's kinda gross.