News:

"We don't make the apocalypse, we make the apocalypse better."

Main Menu

Family of Florida boy killed by Neighborhood Watch seeks arrest

Started by Freeky, March 11, 2012, 04:52:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anna Mae Bollocks

Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 04:30:28 PM
As far as the racism element, I have no idea whether Zimmerman perceived Martin as being more suspicious because he was black, but that's really a moot point.

Moot, yes, but I don't think he perceived him as a threat at all.

I'm guessing that Zimmerman knew about the Stand Your Ground law, and when he saw a Black kid in a gated community, he saw a chance to hunt down a human, kill him and GET AWAY WITH IT. Hence the scenario he painted for the 911 operator: "He looks like he's on drugs...he's looking in windows...he looks like he has a gun" etc. */subjective*

QuoteThe fact that the local cops didn't take him in, tried to protect him, and have a lengthy history of racism is pretty damning of the police department there, and people are not erroneously outraged about the racism of that situation. People need to stop conflating the outrage about the police department's blatant racism with the motivations of Zimmerman in going after Martin.

Yep. They had a big hand in creating the conditions for this to happen, since it looks like they've been like this for a long time. They're probably surprised to be under scrutiny THIS time.
Scantily-Clad Inspector of Gigantic and Unnecessary Cashews, Texas Division

Bruno

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 23, 2012, 08:26:09 PM
I never said I was against a jury trial.

We could waterboard him at the trial!

I think it's really interesting that you seem to be under the impression that this man is being unfairly accused of pursuing, assaulting, and killing a person who was walking through his own neighborhood, talking to his girlfriend on a cell phone and minding his own business.

We know that he pursued him.

We know that there was a scuffle.

We know that he shot and killed him.

What planet are you on where in some way the fact that the evidence leans badly against Zimmerman presents some kind of inequity of fairness?

The only thing in question is the degree of the crime, not whether one was committed. Even in Florida, it's illegal to initiate a conflict and shoot someone because you think they look suspicious on a public street.

As far as the racism element, I have no idea whether Zimmerman perceived Martin as being more suspicious because he was black, but that's really a moot point. The fact that the local cops didn't take him in, tried to protect him, and have a lengthy history of racism is pretty damning of the police department there, and people are not erroneously outraged about the racism of that situation. People need to stop conflating the outrage about the police department's blatant racism with the motivations of Zimmerman in going after Martin.

I'm not saying it's unfair to accuse him of all that, I'm just saying maybe he didn't do all that. Under the circumstances, I'd say it's fair to consider it a possibility that he did.

Is it unreasonable to consider the possibility that he just wanted to talk, and got jumped from behind?

I think the question of whether or not a crime was committed is still open.
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 24, 2012, 08:27:57 PM
Is it unreasonable to consider the possibility that he just wanted to talk, and got jumped from behind?

Well, sure.  After all, he wasn't the Black guy.
Molon Lube

Cain

QuoteIs it unreasonable to consider the possibility that he just wanted to talk, and got jumped from behind?

Given there is no broken skin on Trayvon Martin's knuckles, or indeed any indications that he had been involved in a physical fight, yes, it is.

Bruno

Quote from: Cain on April 24, 2012, 08:31:28 PM
QuoteIs it unreasonable to consider the possibility that he just wanted to talk, and got jumped from behind?

Given there is no broken skin on Trayvon Martin's knuckles, or indeed any indications that he had been involved in a physical fight, yes, it is.

I have to admit, I'm not exactly up to date with the latest evidence.

Junkenstein

Considering a minor was shot and killed, I'm pretty sure some crime/s were committed.

Just a hunch.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 24, 2012, 08:36:12 PM

Well, that's certainly a good reason to make an argument in the face of the facts.
Molon Lube

Bruno

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 08:42:45 PM

Well, that's certainly a good reason to make an argument in the face of the facts.

What's the worst that could happen?

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I think it's really interesting that you seem to be under the impression that this man is being unfairly accused of pursuing, assaulting, and killing a person who was walking through his own neighborhood, talking to his girlfriend on a cell phone and minding his own business.

What planet are you on where in some way the fact that the evidence leans badly against Zimmerman presents some kind of inequity of fairness?

The only thing in question is the degree of the crime, not whether one was committed. Even in Florida, it's illegal to initiate a conflict and shoot someone because you think they look suspicious on a public street.

As far as the racism element, I have no idea whether Zimmerman perceived Martin as being more suspicious because he was black, but that's really a moot point. The fact that the local cops didn't take him in, tried to protect him, and have a lengthy history of racism is pretty damning of the police department there, and people are not erroneously outraged about the racism of that situation. People need to stop conflating the outrage about the police department's blatant racism with the motivations of Zimmerman in going after Martin.

I'm not saying it's unfair to accuse him of all that, I'm just saying maybe he didn't do all that. Under the circumstances, I'd say it's fair to consider it a possibility that he did.

What the fuck

Why don't you go read an article about it, and THEN open your clamhole. Because discussing something with someone who can't be bothered to learn anything about the case, but still for some reason wants to have an opinion about it, is about as gratifying as arguing politics with a three-year-old.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 24, 2012, 08:57:44 PM

Well, you could have a family from the Congo try to move into their new house, and get jacked by two wannabe-Zimmerman yahoos with assault rifles for the crime of being suspiciously Black in their neighborhood.

Naw, that's not really likely.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 08:58:59 PM

What the fuck

Why don't you go read an article about it, and THEN open your clamhole. Because discussing something with someone who can't be bothered to learn anything about the case, but still for some reason wants to have an opinion about it, is about as gratifying as arguing politics with a three-year-old.

Sounds like Emo Howard found religion during his absence.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emo Howard on April 24, 2012, 08:57:44 PM

You annoy people, they decide you're an idiot not worth their time, they put you on ignore or refuse to engage in reasonable conversation with you, eventually the board stops being a fun place. For you.

Seriously, if you don't have enough respect for the people you're talking to to at least have some knowledge of the topic you're wasting their time arguing about, there's no reason whatsoever for anyone to have any respect for you.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 24, 2012, 09:00:41 PM
Quote from: Nigel on April 24, 2012, 08:58:59 PM

What the fuck

Sounds like Emo Howard found religion during his absence.

Apparently so.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube